Gatzby

Release: Alpha Version 9.6

140 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

First of all, the possibility to lock on a squad is bad, really bad. Now, in all games, instead of four nice full teams of 9 players that are forced to cooperate in order to win a game, we are getting two or even one full team and 2-3 locked squads of 2-3 guys, where the rest of players are running random. It totally devastates for me the main idea of playing squads in Squad. It's just broken and overused. I hate it.

This just sounds like "shit server syndrome". I haven't had any issues with locked squads on the Mumblerines server. We have locked mortar squads, locked APC and Logistics squads, I run 4-6 man Infantry and Recon squads. It results in more people being exposed to the SL position, more choices of squads to join, more gameplay variety

9-man squads are generally not very good. SLs aren't good at managing that amount of people, and it results in little granularity for manpower distribution. "Need three people to do a task? Here's nine people." They're also big single points of failure, where one shit SL leading one basically leads to the defeat of the team.

3 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

Unfortunately I have very negative feelings about the most recent update.

First of all, the possibility to lock on a squad is bad, really bad. Now, in all games, instead of four nice full teams of 9 players that are forced to cooperate in order to win a game, we are getting two or even one full team and 2-3 locked squads of 2-3 guys, where the rest of players are running random. It totally devastates for me the main idea of playing squads in Squad. It's just broken and overused. I hate it. There is also a situation where you join server, and due to locked squads there is no free squad to join - you are FORCED to play solo. Seriously? It feels like some CoD stuff.

And the second thing is ... I'm glad there is new content, I'm just less happy that I still can't enjoy it as with current optimisation for AMD CPUs game is unplayable. I really regret I did not refunded Squad on Steam.  

I rate this patch 3/10, 3 for new content added, really small updates but smart outside of course this damn, game breaking SQUAD LOCK! 

I understand your points, and believe more work needs to be done to sure things up with respect to locked squads in-current-state. They're mostly used to horde resources, as you've eluded to. One way to address this would be to create a "Crew/Driver Role" for vehicle squads specifically and required. Points obtained from completed request, i.e. Logistics Run, Infantry Transport, Armor Fire Support. A request UI for SL's should have request icons that can be placed on map for any needed request. The Driver/Crew would get the request communication and points upon completion. The idea is to have these roles/units function as a "TEAM" support unit(s), and not as some individual Spec-Op off-shoot with own agenda. It needs to be organic and built in, and will reduce the need for SL's playing too many roles micro managing instead of macro managing and delegating.

8 minutes ago, PROTOCOL said:

....One way to address this would be to create a "Crew/Driver Role" for vehicle squads specifically and required....

Crewmen kit´s for non standard vehicles have been confirmed to be in the game at some point.

If an sl camtbmanage 9 people then they should be a squad lead how do people in real life military hand 12 to 20 men then? Simple add a fire team leader for thoughts who what two 4 members team they an hand but class it as one squad two you have alpha one and two meaning two fireteams 

5 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

This just sounds like "shit server syndrome". I haven't had any issues with locked squads on the Mumblerines server. We have locked mortar squads, locked APC and Logistics squads, I run 4-6 man Infantry and Recon squads. It results in more people being exposed to the SL position, more choices of squads to join, more gameplay variety

9-man squads are generally not very good. SLs aren't good at managing that amount of people, and it results in little granularity for manpower distribution. "Need three people to do a task? Here's nine people." They're also big single points of failure, where one shit SL leading one basically leads to the defeat of the team.

I've seen this on a few severs  already

On ︻╦╤─ [FR] Squadfrance.fr ─╤╦︻ servers we allowed locked... :

• Squad of 2 - 3 per vehicle ;  
  • Squad of 2 as reco ;
  • Squad of 7 - 9 conventional Squad (2 fireteams of 3 - 4 + SL) ;
  • Squad of 2 - 3 mortar ;
  • Squad of 3 FOB Management.

But the Squad quality/nature/function has to be declared prior to the first spawn in its name.

It's working well most of the time. We also offered advises on how to name the Squad on a specific webpage of our website.   

59 minutes ago, Skor said:

On ︻╦╤─ [FR] Squadfrance.fr ─╤╦︻ servers we allowed locked... :

• Squad of 2 - 3 per vehicle ;  
  • Squad of 2 as reco ;
  • Squad of 7 - 9 conventional Squad (2 fireteams of 3 - 4 + SL) ;
  • Squad of 2 - 3 mortar ;
  • Squad of 3 FOB Management.

But the Squad quality/nature/function has to be declared prior to the first spawn in its name.

It's working well most of the time. We also offered advises on how to name the Squad on a specific webpage of our website.   

Whats your limits in these tho?

4 hours ago, Dls Samuel said:

If an sl camtbmanage 9 people then they should be a squad lead how do people in real life military hand 12 to 20 men then? Simple add a fire team leader for thoughts who what two 4 members team they an hand but class it as one squad two you have alpha one and two meaning two fireteams 

You should do a spelling and grammar pass on this post because I barely understand what you're even trying to say here.

If anyone who can't manage 9 people can't be SL, then we'd only have a handful of SLs left. The vast majority of SLs cannot properly manage 9 people. They can run a squad that has 9 people in it, but they can't use those 9 people effectively.

The reason why people in the real life military can manage 12 to 20 men is because it's their job, they practice together, and if they don't do their job there will be repercussions. Trying to compare squad leading in Squad vs. real life is just stupid.

Adding fireteam leaders won't do much because that requires SLs that are able to use fireteams. Which, again, most people are unable to.

11 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

You should do a spelling and grammar pass on this post because I barely understand what you're even trying to say here.

If anyone who can't manage 9 people can't be SL, then we'd only have a handful of SLs left. The vast majority of SLs cannot properly manage 9 people. They can run a squad that has 9 people in it, but they can't use those 9 people effectively.

The reason why people in the real life military can manage 12 to 20 men is because it's their job, they practice together, and if they don't do their job there will be repercussions. Trying to compare squad leading in Squad vs. real life is just stupid.

Adding fireteam leaders won't do much because that requires SLs that are able to use fireteams. Which, again, most people are unable to.

True but think of u group pll together in to teams if 3 in your squad you could manage 12 people easily given time in your sl role of course in the thick of action its not easy I understand that but if you can't organize a 9 man team to an objective then you have to think they could be helped by a foretem leader that would be good no?

I understand it's a game and you talking to people who have not git this as a job but you have to think on your feet as squad memebers more and sl team work is about all members on that team

12 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

But I've bought game now, and I regret it (unfortunately) as I could play something else in those few months.

Rising Storm Vietnam isn't that expensive :P

8 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Rising Storm Vietnam isn't that expensive :P

And looks insane, thanks for letting me know, for some reason I've missed this game!

2 minutes ago, Sorta said:

If you have a problem with CoD style gameplay, you're not gonna like rising storm 2

I had "CoD mindset" on my mind, not the gameplay itself. 

I've already bought RS2, it's cool and indeed a cheap thing. 

I can't see many differences mate, mechanics is very similar to squad (wide view, not details). I like it. Nice game to kill some time waiting for multicore CPUs optimalisations in Squad...

On 2017-07-19 at 11:44 PM, Tartantyco said:

Dude literally said he has dyslexia, no need to be rude Tartan mate.

1 hour ago, Nordic said:

Dude literally said he has dyslexia, no need to be rude Tartan mate.

Thanks man