TheMcDougl

Teleportation Command/ Tool

As I am a part of a community which enjoys realism and running one life events, a great tool we often utilize in other games such as Arma 3 or even Ro2 is the ability to teleport your player anywhere on the map quickly. This is definitely for more niche groups and not so much for public play, but I was very curious if anyone has heard or has word of the development of such a tool by either a developer or a community member. I am aware the ability to teleport is somewhat available in the firing range ( attached to the admin cam ) but, I would like to see the ability to potentially implement this to private servers down the road, Preferably without the need for admin privileges.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks

-TheMcDougl

Psyrus   
1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Please cite a specific example where this would be a needed feature in Squad.

For example insurgent tunnel networks, but since we cannot deform the terrain, it could be simulated like the nydus worm from Starcraft 2. 

Or something like this

Odin   

I can't see any situation where this would be needed. This is something that would just be abused by admins and cause all sorts of problems. I think this is a feature we can definitely do without. 

Psyrus   
5 hours ago, TheMcDougl said:

I would like to see the ability to potentially implement this to private servers down the road, Preferably without the need for admin privileges.

I just noticed this point that it would be for private servers, so I guess a serverside mod would potentially suffice, once the modding capabilities are fleshed out. 

21 hours ago, Odin said:

I can't see any situation where this would be needed. This is something that would just be abused by admins and cause all sorts of problems. I think this is a feature we can definitely do without. 

I stated for private servers for a reason. This would be an extremely valuable tool for one life scenarios and the like run by Squad Ops and other units/ groups. I would completely agree with your statement if it was available to public servers, but I would only like to see it used for private events and such.

21 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I just noticed this point that it would be for private servers, so I guess a serverside mod would potentially suffice, once the modding capabilities are fleshed out. 

That is my hopes, I personally don't have the technical skills and knowledge to even begin a project like this. So that is why I have come here.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:02 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Please cite a specific example where this would be a needed feature in Squad.

One life scenarios where you need to be in a starting location across the map, AKA cut out the travel time and increase efficiency for these types of events in squad. If you have never been in a unit that runs events like this you may not understand how valuable this would actually be.

1 hour ago, TheMcDougl said:

One life scenarios where you need to be in a starting location across the map, AKA cut out the travel time and increase efficiency for these types of events in squad. If you have never been in a unit that runs events like this you may not understand how valuable this would actually be.

I don't even know what that means but with the Unreal Editor you can make spawn points anywhere on the map. Truth be told I think the thing you're looking for doesn't exist in any way shape or form in the engine. I'm a noob with it but the in game admin function called "cameraman" allows you to fly around except when you're done you're right back where you started.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I don't even know what that means but with the Unreal Editor you can make spawn points anywhere on the map. Truth be told I think the thing you're looking for doesn't exist in any way shape or form in the engine. I'm a noob with it but the in game admin function called "cameraman" allows you to fly around except when you're done you're right back where you started.

What what means, one life scenario? Instead of respawns you are limited to one life, often times in these scenarios we make custom objectives and starting locations. To have the ability to instantly move to any location on the map before the event goes 'live' would cut down on set up times. The functionality does already exist in the form I stated in my OP "I am aware the ability to teleport is somewhat available in the firing range ( attached to the admin cam )". You can try this out for yourself, shift+P then move around then shift+P again and your player model should drop to the camera location. Something like this is one solution, attaching it to admin commands is another.

Example: adminteleteam X togrid b1 kp1/as some form of command (kp standing for key pad), this would allow for specific grids. I am certain if it has been done in unreal 3 (RO2) the functionality is 110% possible in unreal 4.

Edited by TheMcDougl
grammar

Bumping. With the recent public endorsement of Squad Ops, this tool would serve to help communities such as squad ops run smoother events by cutting down on the set up time before the briefing and shooting begins. Again, any and all thoughts and advice are welcome. Just try to keep it constructive, thanks.

- TheMcDougl

27 minutes ago, TheMcDougl said:

Bumping. With the recent public endorsement of Squad Ops, this tool would serve to help communities such as squad ops run smoother events by cutting down on the set up time before the briefing and shooting begins. Again, any and all thoughts and advice are welcome. Just try to keep it constructive, thanks.

- TheMcDougl

As a member of the Staff team on SquadOps, I actually don't really see how this would help our events run any smoother or better. In fact, I can see this actually becoming a bit of an issue, as then we would need to police players to make sure they aren't abusing the teleport function during the session.

The setup time always takes a while but that is more-so because we need to get everyone on the same page for the Op (such as command structure coming up with a plan for the round); not so much that we need to get to a location, we have Rallies/FOBs for getting people to the starting area.

But if you still feel strongly about it, make a suggestion post on our forums. We have a talented group of guys working on mods, so if someone feels that it would be a great fit, there is always the chance that it may end up in one of the modder's hands. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

19 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

As a member of the Staff team on SquadOps, I actually don't really see how this would help our events run any smoother or better. In fact, I can see this actually becoming a bit of an issue, as then we would need to police players to make sure they aren't abusing the teleport function during the session.

The setup time always takes a while but that is more-so because we need to get everyone on the same page for the Op (such as command structure coming up with a plan for the round); not so much that we need to get to a location, we have Rallies/FOBs for getting people to the starting area.

But if you still feel strongly about it, make a suggestion post on our forums. We have a talented group of guys working on mods, so if someone feels that it would be a great fit, there is always the chance that it may end up in one of the modder's hands. 

The way the functionality worked for us in Ro2 was it was attached to a mutator.  The mutator would be enabled and would allow for teleportation by any player, admins could also use commands to teleport the entire team to a given location, once we set the mutator to 'Live' no players could respawn/ teleport. In squad we already have the rally system which is great, to me the next step would be allowing squad leaders to instantly drop to where they need to be and then place the rally for their squad mates. So now that you mention it keeping this as an admin tool so it can't be abused by players who would otherwise try to, would be a good idea. I'll consider making a post, thanks for your input.

16 minutes ago, TheMcDougl said:

The way the functionality worked for us in Ro2 was it was attached to a mutator.  The mutator would be enabled and would allow for teleportation by any player, admins could also use commands to teleport the entire team to a given location, once we set the mutator to 'Live' no players could respawn/ teleport. In squad we already have the rally system which is great, to me the next step would be allowing squad leaders to instantly drop to where they need to be and then place the rally for their squad mates. So now that you mention it keeping this as an admin tool so it can't be abused by players who would otherwise try to, would be a good idea. I'll consider making a post, thanks for your input.

That makes more sense to me; where only players that have a certain attribute ("IsDead", "IsAlive", whatever you want it to be) can have access to it. Either way, I highly suggest posting it on our forums as well. Should be able to get some better input from some people over there.