Sign in to follow this  
Randall172

Rocket Artillery

who thinks rocket artillery should have elevation info view-able?

-also maybe one or two reloads would be nice too

20 ticks seems too much if nothing changes

Edited by Randall172

Yes

Edit: You changed your questions, I'll change my answers.

No for elevation. Devs have confirmed it's not going to happen anyway. 

I'd support a single reload since your choices now are to use it as a single volley, which is usually pretty useless once you get it zeroed in, or dedicate a squad to it, build a fob and container which is a waste of time and resources in a game that moves as fast as Squad.  

Edited by LugNut

8 hours ago, Randall172 said:

who thinks rocket artillery should have elevation info view-able?

Think about what you're saying. It's a Toyota truck with a rocket pod from an aircraft mounted to the bed and probably fired by somebody touching a bare lead up to a couple of car batteries wired in series. In reality, elevation is probably adjusted by driving on specific inclines. I've seen a few videos of it used in real life and its simply point and fire.

So yeah... Reality is what the devs had in mind so maybe adapt to it. 

It needs something, anything to try and fix it. Right now its practically useless. Maybe elevation info, maybe a damage buff, maybe decreased spread, maybe all 3. anything!

Edited by Sorta

Yeah, some kind of makeshift visual to  adjustment for different ranges would be nice. (For example, if you look through the back window there'd be paint marks on where to line up the pod at 100m, 200m, 300m, ect.)

Honestly just take it to the range and test it out. Generally the first 5 will hit around center of  the rest of the volleys. A full volley has a 100m spread

1 hour ago, Sorta said:

It needs something, anything to try and fix it. Right now its practically useless. Maybe elevation info, maybe a damage buff, maybe decreased spread, maybe all 3. anything!

51 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Yeah, some kind of makeshift visual to  adjustment for different ranges would be nice. (For example, if you look through the back window there'd be paint marks on where to line up the pod at 100m, 200m, 300m, ect.)

The visual your'e looking for is in a test shot. Cant go balls to the wall right off the bat. Its a makeshift Toyota as said above. What do you want it to really have? Its supposed to be a crude design.

3 hours ago, _randombullet said:

The visual your'e looking for is in a test shot. Cant go balls to the wall right off the bat. Its a makeshift Toyota as said above. What do you want it to really have? Its supposed to be a crude design.

Paint markings on the pipe that holds the pod up seems pretty crude to me.

4 hours ago, _randombullet said:

It may as well be removed from the game then, it's useless.

The clumsy aiming is irrelevant, the few seconds lost having to move the thing around and take some test shots is not something that matter. It's not a useful asset because it's sustained fire is non-existent.

4 minutes ago, 40mmrain said:

It's not a useful asset because it's sustained fire is non-existent.

I'm not sure I understand that determination. Does that mean that you class something like an SPG-technical as "not useful" as well due to the low ammo capacity and lack of sustained fire?

Just now, Psyrus said:

I'm not sure I understand that determination. Does that mean that you class something like an SPG-technical as "not useful" as well due to the low ammo capacity and lack of sustained fire?

nope, the weapon systems have different goals. The SPG techi doesn't need a high volume of fire and up-time to drive behind a stryker and blast its ass, then run back to base. The Rocket Artillery's goal however is saturation fire to cause enough damage and suppression so that you can soften up the enemy for infantry to advance. With just one barrage, you do such little damage and buy such little time that it's just not an effective weapon. On the other hand, if you could reload the thing a few times before having to drive back to base, you could terrorize an area for a sufficiently long enough such that it would be effective. Also spawning them in pairs would be nice and letting a squad of 2 guys claim them both, if they both had 3 reloads, then you could probably keep up a good barrage for a good amount of time.

To all the people saying it doesn't need visuals: how often do you see people use the Rocket techie? How often have you been killed by it?

It is a useless vehicle in its current form and noone uses it. Dont think anyone would miss it if it was removed from all maps.

True you wouldn't have this info in real life. But in real life you dont have a compas at the buttom of your vision or a map with the position of all your friends.

Its been used plenty of times to great effect. It just requires a bit more effort to use that is all. Test shots is your aim pointer. This thing isnt really meant to directly kill off an enemy squad, but to have them duck down in cover while your people get up closer.

42 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Its been used plenty of times to great effect.

lies

41 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Its been used plenty of times to great effect.

hmm, i'm not so sure about that.

Since its been in the game I have been on the receiving end of 'somewhat effective suppression' from Rocket Techie's - twice.

I would say you can average my playtime to at least 2 hours every evening.

I play established community servers, CCFN, skrims and tournament Squad. Also some milsim (i.e the full cross section of Squad server/situations)

Normally when the Rocket Techie is used we get excited and look for the pretty rockets and enjoy the noise, and ignore it's effect which is nearly always minimal.

When they get to it, it needs adjustment.

I have never seen it used for anything besides transport, im the only one using it to try and rocket the enemy hehe

It would be nice to have some sort of visual indication as to the current elevation. It may just be statically mounted IRL, however, the game implementation has it attached to an adjustable elevation mechanism which could have a gauge displaying the current pitch. Currently, you have to know how many 'S' and 'W' clicks you've pressed to accurately adjust the elevation.

There is a guide on the effective usage of the vehicle: 

You need 2-3 people in your squad who know use the vehicle to be productive.

The rocket techie is difficult to use but can be effective in certain circumstances. I predict this vehicle will be used more once we get destructible FOB emplacements. Imagine being able to destroy enemy HABs and mortars from hundreds of meters away from a mobile vehicle.