mikejones

VDS/VPS questions/recommendations

I'm looking into getting a virtual dedicated server for the purpose of hosting a squad server. First of all, any recommendations on server hosts in North America that are reasonably priced and are reliable? Second, what kind of specs would be required to run an 80 person server with the capabilities to increase up to 100 when the game gets to that point? I would appreciate any input, thanks guys  

Hello and welcome to Squad @mikejones,

On 11.7.2017 at 2:08 PM, mikejones said:

[...] recommendations on server hosts in North America that are reasonably priced and are reliable?

http://joinsquad.com/servers

On 11.7.2017 at 2:08 PM, mikejones said:

[...] what kind of specs would be required to run an 80 person server [...]

overclocked 6700K / 7700K

20 minutes ago, beginna said:

Hello and welcome to Squad @mikejones,

http://joinsquad.com/servers

overclocked 6700K / 7700K

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am looking for a Virtual Dedicated Server (Something like digital ocean, vultr, nfoservers, etc), because it's around the same price for more stability and more control over the server. But I'll look for servers for those CPU specs

I'm currently testing a Cloud Server Flex by 1&1, you are welcome to test it out if you have a few people you are welcome stress test it.

https://squad-servers.com/server/4052/

62.151.178.37:7787

I currently set the new Map Narva as active. The Flex Server is currently running 8GB Ram and 8 vCores, 20 GB SSD This setup cost $116 a month. Experience tho always tells me to go with a dedicated server because you will have you hardware all to yourself and don't share it with anyone which cloud servers do, for this price you will get a Dedicated server with more ram. Let me know if you have any questions,

If you'd like the Rcon password let me know also let me know your player ID I'll add you to the Admin list so you can fully test the stability on this setup. The squad server is the only service hosted on this setup so if it crashes or starts lagging that will tell you the cloud solution is not good enough. I'm currently looking into the 1and1 XL8,  8 Core AMD Opteron 16 GB Ram and the XL-32 with Intel® Xeon® E3-1270 v6  and 32GB ram.

From what I have seen the Squad server software seems to be poorly optimized for multi-core CPUs. I'm quite new to hosting a Squad server (so correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like the software requires a CPU with high clock speeds above 4ghz in order to sustain a 80 player load. We haven't stress-tested our server enough yet to see how many cores or RAM the software actually utilizes but I don't think that you could go wrong with 4 cores and 16gb.

Yes, the server is mostly using a single core. A 4Ghz i7-6700k will give you around 20 TPS on a full 80 player server. Sometimes a bit less depending on the map (Al Basrah and Narva makes the TPS dip) and the number of deployables on the map.

I would not recommend running on a virtual machine. Squad does, as above said, not take use of that many cores and virtual machines are usually pretty weak CPU wise.

E3-1270 is pushing the limit. Not promising anything but I doubt you'll be able to run one 80 player server on it without seeing low tickrate.

Oh ya I'm aware of that I know its not optimal but I'm just trying to get some more stress data to confirm this. I personally would not plan on hosting on none dedicated its just an test that I'm running there.