Smee

Rifleman Build sandbag

36 posts in this topic

How about letting the rifleman build sandbags at least or any non ammo related items. So they would have a t key basic. This would be like an opening to what the SL does and a sneak peak at what they have to do.

Still make iit in deployable areas.

Eh then you have a bunch of plebs putting shit everywhere and wasting Con points...

24 minutes ago, VaaSHARK said:

Eh then you have a bunch of plebs putting shit everywhere and wasting Con points...

that's a problem regardless of squad members being able to build

There definitely needs to be another person than SL that's able to place stuff, though the fireteam leader role should fill this

Just make it so the SL can assign someone as "Builder," not as a class role but an additional permission. I get that the SL has a lot on his plate and he would be better off planning while someone else builds sandbags.

Only issue is there'd have to be pretty close cross-communication between the two on what and where they should be building.

45 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Just make it so the SL can assign someone as "Builder," not as a class role but an additional permission. I get that the SL has a lot on his plate and he would be better off planning while someone else builds sandbags.

Only issue is there'd have to be pretty close cross-communication between the two on what and where they should be building.

I like this idea. I don't think communication would need to be that that in depth as a lot of the time I see popular squad leaders join the squads of other popular squad leaders and rotate every few games due to the stress of squad leading. Lots of the time these people trust eachother and know the way they build, so for these kinds of situations I could see a designated builder to be quite useful.

or make each sandbag dragable, like a body :) 

squad, come to the squad leader, bring the sandbags... :D

On 09/07/2017 at 2:47 AM, VaaSHARK said:

The sandbag idea is OK if your al has to approve

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, Smee said:

How about letting the rifleman build sandbags at least or any non ammo related items. So they would have a t key basic. This would be like an opening to what the SL does and a sneak peak at what they have to do.

Still make iit in deployable areas.

The Firing Range is very useful to "try things out", you can place and build away to your hearts content! Would help a lot if new players did this before jumping in a multiplayer session with a million n'1 + questions... I guess trying is over-rated.

I think that anyone should be able to build a scrape or shallow firing position, which, since we don't have the ability to deform the map surface to create a depression, could be just a small raised berm you could prone behind. 

Image result for infantry scrape

The 9.6  preview showed they really did this right. They don't cost points, and the rifleman who places it can only place one before it disappears. Even more-so, you don't need to be anywhere near a FOB to lay them down and build them. This is going to be a great change, giving the standard rifleman some more survivability, and allowing us to use Sandbags as decoys. Seeing a Sandbag will not longer mean you are near a FOB.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

6 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Keep it as it is imo.

Agreed... Already getting like Minecraft as it is.

8 hours ago, LugNut said:

I think that anyone should be able to build a scrape or shallow firing position, which, since we don't have the ability to deform the map surface to create a depression, could be just a small raised berm you could prone behind. 

I like this idea better then sand bags! Little foxholes or anything along that line would be very nice addition to the game 

18 hours ago, LugNut said:

^ +1

@Smee I think riflemen building one sandbag line each is fine too but i agree ONLY IN the BUILD ZONES either that or it should take a lot longer. 

Or @Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX yeah keep it as it is

Or only FTL like someone else mentioned

But no no no magic sandbags.

You see a whole enemy squad running across a field and you start shooting and suddenly all these sandbags start popping up. Friggen annoying. Make them carry the stupid sandbags from a build zone or something then. Say no to Magic sandbags. This is a bad idea.

@devs So after you die you can just place another one and your old sandbag goes away? Or maybe every 3? Sorry to who ever was hiding behind it. Kind of wonky. And if not and everyone just gets one every life and there is no limit the map will be riddled with them.

It is more realistic to have mortar teams place mortars anywhere on the map. Or carrying individual cratre of ammo or grenades. This is not a good improvement to the game.

Edited by madcat768

34 minutes ago, madcat768 said:

@Smee I think riflemen building one sandbag line each is fine too but i agree ONLY IN the BUILD ZONES either that or it should take a lot longer. 

Or @Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX yeah keep it as it is

Or only FTL like someone else mentioned

But no no no magic sandbags.

You see a whole enemy squad running across a field and you start shooting and suddenly all these sandbags start popping up. Friggen annoying. Make them carry the stupid sandbags from a build zone or something then. Say no to Magic sandbags. This is a bad idea.

@devs So after you die you can just place another one and your old sandbag goes away? Or maybe every 3? Sorry to who ever was hiding behind it. Kind of wonky. And if not and everyone just gets one every life and there is no limit the map will be riddled with them.

It is more realistic to have mortar teams place mortars anywhere on the map. Or carrying individual cratre of ammo or grenades. This is not a good improvement to the game.

If that is happening, you're not shooting accurately enough. If they have enough time, while under fire, to get down a sandbag and build it all the way up, you are doing something wrong. This is a fine change. You do realize that there will generally only be a rifleman or 2 on each squad, as all the specialty roles (Medic, LAT, AR, HAT, Scout, etc) do not get sandbags at all. Further, the rifleman can only place 1, this is a hard limit and does not reset after death. He places a new one and the old one will disappear.

This is really a minor change you guys are blowing out of proportion, it increases the survivability of the standard rifleman ever so slightly, and is hard countered by the fact that deployables can be destroyed. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

SL being able to assign squad member to place an item would be good.. then SL can provide building options without actually being on the fob ...

@embecmom would be too confusing. What if one guy says no. No should keep it open ended if that is the case. For everybody. Thats why i think Arma is too confusing it caters to too many people that dont use mics. No individual commands use a mic.

@DoctorKamikaze If they are a ways away and you dont have an optic but you are hitting near them the only thing that is being done wrong is the magic sandbags. But yes my aim sucks too. I want more of a realistic time frame before they find hard cover. Like having to run another 100 meters. Please and thank you lol

Edited by madcat768

3 minutes ago, madcat768 said:

@embecmom would be too confusing. What if one guy says no. No should keep it open ended if that is the case. For everybody.

@DoctorKamikaze If they are a ways away and you dont have an optic but you are hitting near them the only thing that is being done wrong is the magic sandbags. But yes my aim sucks too. I want more of a realistic time frame before they find hard cover. Like having to run another 100 meters. Please an thank you lol

what would be confusing?  same functionality exists with vehicles at the moment... just assign a build function to one player when requested and only they can place objects..the rest can dig.

Edited by embecmom

@embecmom cause everyone can use drive that vehicle but requires at least 2 to be near. If one person doesnt want to anyone else in the squad can. You are individually ordering one person to build something?

Edited by madcat768

22 hours ago, LugNut said:

would be great but  given the collision of aim/rifle and objects in the game is one of the most frustrating things ..i.e lying prone yet hitting ground when firing..

@LugNut Yeah would be cool but probably not something the devs are planning? Doubt it would happen.

@embecmom Approving a vehicle is not an individual order and anyone can drive it afterwards. "2 people get near a vehicle, i dont care who"

Edited by madcat768

1 minute ago, madcat768 said:

@embecmom cause everyone can use drive that vehicle but requires at least 2 to be near. If one person doesnt want to anyone else in the squad can. You are individually ordering one person to build something?

eh? 

given the SL orders people to dig emplacements at any time during the game not sure what your point is?  the squad is meant to follow the SL orders..doesn't matter whether he is right next to them at the radio or provides orders to them over the radio...

if someone is requesting to get in a vehicle then I suggest that they want to! unless they want to walk....

if someone puts in a request to build then you assign it to that person or order them to do so... its no different to how the game works right now in terms of SL ordering players?

1 minute ago, madcat768 said:

@LugNut Yeah would be cool but probably not something the devs are planning? Doubt it would happen.

@embecmom Approving a vehicle is not an individual order and anyone can drive it afterwards.

no its not but the mechanism is there to provide remote approval for something.. vehicle approval requires 2 to stop so many people taking a vehicle for themselves.