IIITYPMAH

AMD is worst for Squad

66 posts in this topic
11 minutes ago, PadrePadre said:

Not a single one my friend, as the only UT4 game I play is Squad. This does not mean it's performance is correct. For me it's a prehistoric engine with messed up multicore usage so I'm trying to avoid it for as long as I can. Squad looks promising, I really wanted to try it - and at the moment I'm in place where I don't enjoy it because of terrible CPU utilization leading to "low fps = unplayable game"... and I regret a bit I've spent more than 10 hours and I can't refund it just like my friends did. Single game is not worth getting new CPU, especially at Intel prices so ... dead end for now.

Don't get me wrong, I think the devs are doing great job and game have a potential - but it's current requirements are not in line with other 2016/2017 games in terms of how game looks (squad is unfortunately nothing near Battlefront, Wildlands or Andromeda) and hardware you need to run it at decent or at least playable fps (40-50+). 

Can you tell me how many CPU cores Squad engine uses? And if it's one or two - do you think it's OK in 2017? 

Okay, I'm going to try my best to calmly address why you have no idea what you're talking about. Please try your best to follow along.

>as the only UT4 game I play is Squad. This does not mean it's performance is correct. For me it's a prehistoric engine with messed up multicore usage so I'm trying to avoid it for as long as I can

First off it's UE4. Not UT4, and you've said that many times. It's also not a "prehistoric engine". It's a engine that is currently being used by games like Days Gone, CrackDown 3, A way out, Gears of war 4, Sea Of thieves, and many more. It's also not up to the engine to optimize everything you do. It's a lot of the time up to the dev to multi thread there work. 

> and at the moment I'm in place where I don't enjoy it because of terrible CPU utilization leading to "low fps = unplayable game"... and I regret a bit I've spent more than 10 hours and I can't refund it just like my friends did. Single game is not worth getting new CPU, especially at Intel prices so

No one is telling you to upgrade your CPU. Were just saying that it's not the engines fault. How can't you not comprehend that?! The CPU utilization IS BECAUSE OF THE DEVS. The engine is not at fault. 

>Can you tell me how many CPU cores Squad engine uses? And if it's one or two - do you think it's OK in 2017? 

Dude, how unintelligent are you? The devs have said they are working through cpu optimizations. I know it's been bad, but you can't be saying these things. It's simply just shows how little you know about engines/game development works. Please stop commenting <3

I wonder how many cores and threads the human brain runs on....I think most people have single core brains trying to think in multi core....could use a programmer who can explain how multi core works and how programs can use them in code?  Or do some research on Google I guess.

6 minutes ago, banOkay said:

We got to the Moon in 1969 but making a video game run well on multiple threads is too hard in 2017.

They did that without Microsoft and a proper computer. If you use a computer for work you'll know they don't make things any more efficient.

See Irontaxi response.   Squad is a tough game.  I believe it will be worth it.  Just hang in there.

43 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

It's certainly uses one core heavily, the others it's hard to tell what is the game or background OS. The load perhaps could be shared a better in this current day but is that the devs fault or the engine? I don't know. I am sure there are things the devs can do (animations) to gain performance but they need usually need doing as the game is developed. What I do know is the devs are developing a game in an alpha state while allowing early access for their target players to help provide constructive feedback on a game engine that is still in development itself. That's a brave thing to do with the way people can hide behind the internet when they don't like something. If you visit PUBG forums there are loads of comments on its performance as well. I don't think Squads performance trouble is purely down to the dev team.

Yes, but still PUBG can run at 40+ FPS with my configuration - I would be really happy to get stable 40 fps in SQUAD. 

I also want to repeat once more time - I'm not bashing devs, they are doing their work, I'm just negative about UT4 and how it works. I also know it's Alpha, game is in development, but Squad looks nowhere near it's requirements. I'm not expecting Battlefront photorealistic forest with insane FPS, I'm sure it's not achievable with small team like devs from SQUAD (and their budget!) but 20-30% in game performance for AMD with current graphic detail level would be nice - and I'm sure it's more realistic to achieve. 

Anyway - "taking out" AMD community from game is a huge reduction of playerbase = less $ for devs. Fact? I think so.

Making more FPS in game will bring more players. 

@lisasu don't be so sure I've never coded anything. More than 1.5 milion of people are using devices with content I'm delivering. I know how hard it is to make things right, but hard =/= impossible

@CageMatchKimsey Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it be worth it.

Edited by PadrePadre

Info that may enlighten the unenlightened:

Quote from article:

"

A coder can use the different processors and their cores, assigning various game systems to run in parallel on different threads. The key is to keep each core or SPE as busy as possible while minimizing bottlenecks and idle time. A networked game, as a result of latency and deterministic issues, uses different techniques beyond the scope of this article.

Coarse-grained Parallelism
Coarse-grained parallelism divvies up whole game systems at the thread level. Larger systems are assigned to their own thread. On the Intel® Core™ i7 and Xbox 360*, each core offers two hardware threads. The CPU maintains two contexts or register sets-one for each hardware thread-and swaps quickly between each thread as needed.

"

Link:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/practical-game-architecture-for-multi-core-systems

8 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

Yes, but still PUBG can run at 40+ FPS with my configuration - I would be really happy to get stable 40 fps in SQUAD. 

I also want to repeat once more time - I'm not bashing devs, they are doing their work, I'm just negative about UT4 and how it works. I also know it's Alpha, game is in development, but Squad looks nowhere near it's requirements. I'm not expecting Battlefront photorealistic forest with insane FPS, I'm sure it's not achievable with small team like devs from SQUAD (and their budget!) but 20-30% in game performance for AMD with current graphic detail level would be nice - and I'm sure it's more realistic to achieve. 

Anyway - "taking out" AMD community from game is a huge reduction of playerbase = less $ for devs. Fact? I think so.

Making more FPS in game will bring more players. 

@lisasu don't be so sure I've never coded anything. More than 1.5 milion of people are using devices with content I'm delivering. I know how hard it is to make things right, but hard =/= impossible

@CageMatchKimsey Thanks for sharing, I'm sure it be worth it.

> also want to repeat once more time - I'm not bashing devs, they are doing their work, I'm just negative about UT4 and how it works.

The point is, you have no idea how UE4 works. It's also not ut4 for the second time. I really don't see how these things can fly over you.

• MAIN POINT: Don't talk about things, you don't know about. You clearly don't grasp the basic knowledge of game development. 

Ryzen 1700 works okay.

Wait for devs to make DX12 and/or vulkan work on being less limited by one main thread.

On 15.07.2017 at 4:38 AM, godamntwitch said:
  • MAIN POINT: Don't talk about things, you don't know about. You clearly don't grasp the basic knowledge of game development. 

Like for example?

Optimalisation in Squad is terrible. Game looks old and bulky and in the same time it requires top PC system to handle it in acceptable FPS, game is not fuly utylizing power of modern CPUs, for most calculations it uses just a single core. I'm aware that will be the last point, for the devs, to make game run smooth, but in the same time it stops large playerbase from being attracted to the game and that's bad as it's also stops development as less players = less budget for development.

What's wrong about saying how crap optimalisation is in it's current state? I know it's Alpha, I know it should change in the future, but still - at the moment it's far below my expectations.

11 hours ago, PadrePadre said:

Like for example?

Optimalisation in Squad is terrible. Game looks old and bulky and in the same time it requires top PC system to handle it in acceptable FPS, game is not fuly utylizing power of modern CPUs, for most calculations it uses just a single core. I'm aware that will be the last point, for the devs, to make game run smooth, but in the same time it stops large playerbase from being attracted to the game and that's bad as it's also stops development as less players = less budget for development.

What's wrong about saying how crap optimalisation is in it's current state? I know it's Alpha, I know it should change in the future, but still - at the moment it's far below my expectations.

>Like for example?

Pretty much your entire comment history. Did you read my previous comment?! ill copy it again here.

Okay, I'm going to try my best to calmly address why you have no idea what you're talking about. Please try your best to follow along.

>as the only UT4 game I play is Squad. This does not mean it's performance is correct. For me it's a prehistoric engine with messed up multicore usage so I'm trying to avoid it for as long as I can

First off it's UE4. Not UT4, and you've said that many times. It's also not a "prehistoric engine". It's a engine that is currently being used by games like Days Gone, CrackDown 3, A way out, Gears of war 4, Sea Of thieves, and many more. It's also not up to the engine to optimize everything you do. It's a lot of the time up to the dev to multi thread there work. 

> and at the moment I'm in place where I don't enjoy it because of terrible CPU utilization leading to "low fps = unplayable game"... and I regret a bit I've spent more than 10 hours and I can't refund it just like my friends did. Single game is not worth getting new CPU, especially at Intel prices so

No one is telling you to upgrade your CPU. Were just saying that it's not the engines fault.  The CPU utilization IS BECAUSE OF THE DEVS. The engine is not at fault. 

>Can you tell me how many CPU cores Squad engine uses? And if it's one or two - do you think it's OK in 2017? 

The devs have said they are working through cpu optimizations. I know it's been bad, but you can't be saying these things. It's sorta showcases your shortcomings in understanding how game development works. 

Edited by godamntwitch

Top PC system required to handle it?

Not sure whether I'm just having more luck than some of you guys but with a average gaming system, in my opinion anyway, I am running consistently above 60 fps on highest settings (without messing with the 1.25x setting cause I don't know what it does).

Only time it seems to drop is when something ridiculous happens, such as all the vehicles on the map blowing up next to each other (which is hilarious btw) and even then that only drops to about 50ish.

The game is still pretty new by regular standards for a game this scale and without being backed by a larger company such as Bohemia does for Arma.

45 minutes ago, JamjarTheFail said:

average gaming system

and this is the point, where you need to post the PC spec's please!

CPU

GPU

RAM

HDD/SDD

Resolution you play at

cheers!

13 hours ago, godamntwitch said:

Name them please. I don't see how any educated person could.

Nah, I consider it would be a wasted time as I'm sure we both won't change our minds.