Ok so one of my favorite things to do in the game right now is to use rocket artillery. They require a lot of coordination, good timing and a lot of accidental team kills to properly master. But when dialed in right in the appropriate circumstances, I've found that you can make an enemy team bottle up and sit in place. 

Despite this, they don't get much use not only for these reasons, but also because there are a lot of frustrating little problems with their use. I'll list my current problems with them first.

- There is no way to see how high your artillery is adjusted unless someone is looking at it from outside

- You cannot traverse the rocket launcher left or right

- There is no clear 'center line' on the trucks, making aiming with them somewhat difficult even when using squad markers

- When you leave the passenger seat, the rocket pod resets.

I'd like to hear a more detailed discussion on this subject, especially from the developers, but there are a few minor changes that I, and others surely, would love to see added.

1. Rocket pod does not reset to neutral after passenger leaves seat.

2. A visual icon showing the degree angles (X and Y) the rocket launcher is pointing. This will make adjustments and communication for fire much easier to manage.

3. Some mild left/right traverse. Not loads but just enough for a player to make minor tweaks on their own.

Would love to hear what other players think and what the devs think. It's not entirely related, but I would love to see the Russian army get an equivalent some time in the future, perhaps in the form of a BM-21 truck, or perhaps a mortar striker for the US in the future.

Edited by Not_Tactical

Sticking to the theme, INS rocket arty is a crude home made weapon. I like the feel of it and think if the devs were to add anything it should be a very basic aiming device and not something a US version would have.

Like random said, it's supposed to be crude and improvised. However I agree they are frustrating to use, but for me that's because I feel they're a bit underpowered. Just give the rockets a bigger damage radius. Also +1 on the pod staying in place when you leave the truck, that's extremely annoying.

here is a dev response to another useres rocket techi feedback.
I think it fits in quite well.

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/24052-v8-rocket-techie-feedback/

On 5.11.2016 at 8:30 PM, naezro said:

Hello Squaddies,

The addition of rocket techies have been great as the first iteration of indirect firesupport.  There are only I few things I'd like to see changed l.

1. Currently, the rocket pod resets to its resting position whenever the techie is moved.  This makes it difficult to make windage adjustments.  I'd like to see it the pod only move when the gunner moves the pod.

2. A way for the gunner to see the angle of the rocket pod and make fine tune adjustments.  If the gunner could visible see the exact angle this would make it easier to range in their targets.  Which would benefit public as well as competitive players.

Let me know what your guys thoughts on the rocket techie and if precise angle adjustments should be a feature added to the game, because I know it's not necessarily realistic because rocket techies are kinda hog pogged together out in the field.

On 7.11.2016 at 4:56 AM, Z-trooper said:

1. Kinda intentional to discourage one manning it. If you are one manning the vehicle it isn't as effective as being two. Teamwork and communication at the core of everything.

2. Meant to be improvised and derpy, won't be overly fancy. The best you can to do is look out the back and keep track of your angle and have squad mates help guide you in.

Don't worry, fancier weapon systems will have fancier interfaces and controls. 

This one won't. 

Trust me, fine adjustments won't do you much good anyway. This sucker has a 100m deviation at about 5-600m ;). Area suppression is the name of the game, not precision fire. There will be mortars for hitting specific things.

Improvised, derpy, high skill cap is the name of the game for this particular asset. Characteristics vary with each asset.

Stand by for more stuff.

Isn't it the delight of the chaos of the weapon thats the fun.  It's not meant to be a precise artillery piece we have mortars for that. Just keep it alive and make it rain.  

Personally  I look at the angle and go for about 35 deg for 300m . Funnest moment seen it chasing styker trying to kill it at close range. :)

Some crude paintmarks on the mount to handle elevation would be very welcome, i dont really care if 1 mark = 288m mark 2 = 421m etc. Just something aim with.

Marks would be cool, Would like to see a reloading animation.

3 clicks if you can see the people 5 clicks if you are cowardly :P

I'd just like to see it not reset, I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's frustrating and not realistic. The rest of it is fine, it shouldn't have a traverse, I doubt those things would IRL. Unless the damage is increased, I rarely see it used to any significant effect now anyway, I've yet to be killed by either a techie or a mortar. 

16 hours ago, Not_Tactical said:

Ok so one of my favorite things to do in the game right now is to use rocket artillery. They require a lot of coordination, good timing and a lot of accidental team kills to properly master. But when dialed in right in the appropriate circumstances, I've found that you can make an enemy team bottle up and sit in place. 

Despite this, they don't get much use not only for these reasons, but also because there are a lot of frustrating little problems with their use. I'll list my current problems with them first.

- There is no way to see how high your artillery is adjusted unless someone is looking at it from outside

- You cannot traverse the rocket launcher left or right

- There is no clear 'center line' on the trucks, making aiming with them somewhat difficult even when using squad markers

- When you leave the passenger seat, the rocket pod resets.

I'd like to hear a more detailed discussion on this subject, especially from the developers, but there are a few minor changes that I, and others surely, would love to see added.

1. Rocket pod does not reset to neutral after passenger leaves seat.

2. A visual icon showing the degree angles (X and Y) the rocket launcher is pointing. This will make adjustments and communication for fire much easier to manage.

3. Some mild left/right traverse. Not loads but just enough for a player to make minor tweaks on their own.

Would love to hear what other players think and what the devs think. It's not entirely related, but I would love to see the Russian army get an equivalent some time in the future, perhaps in the form of a BM-21 truck, or perhaps a mortar striker for the US in the future.

All you need is some scratch paper and a pencil. Use console and visit all the maps with the rocket techie and by trial and error find the exact grid location and azimuth that is the maximum range from your intended target. Now you can confidently just jump in the gunner seat with it lined up, max elevation out and just dump them. Because of the air time you can easily pop out and view the target with your binoculars right after your barrage. I've personally got grids for Kohat, Kokan & Al Basrah.

Explosion penetration and increased explosion suppression might redeem this thing but until that time, it's like that hero in Dota 2 where only select few can utilize it and rest just squanders and wastes their and their team's time.

Just give it a couple of reloads. The main reason the rocket techie is kind of bad is because you shoot one barrage and then you have to resupply. Sure it might have been mildly effective, but one barrage of artillery with a huge downtime is not an effective weapon. Yeah, I know, you can make repair stations in the field, but, then you need a whole bunch of manpower to set up the FOB and a logistical chain, and you commit more tickets if you lose the techi because theyll dig up the FOB. At this point the thing is barely worth it.

But if, you could carry like 3 barrages before reloading, you could have a decent uptime, even if your repair station was far away, so you could leech off of other FOBs.

Kinda lame that the devs use "one manning it" as an excuse for the pod reset, when theres absolutely zero mechanics to discourage one manning any other vehicle. Also "suppression" being the purpose of the weapon, that's a good one. Do devs play their own game?

Edited by Sorta

On 7/6/2017 at 11:13 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

All you need is some scratch paper and a pencil. Use console and visit all the maps with the rocket techie and by trial and error find the exact grid location and azimuth that is the maximum range from your intended target. Now you can confidently just jump in the gunner seat with it lined up, max elevation out and just dump them. Because of the air time you can easily pop out and view the target with your binoculars right after your barrage. I've personally got grids for Kohat, Kokan & Al Basrah.

Not a bad idea and I'll definitely keep to that, but I seriously wish I at least had some kind of visual indicator on the elevation of the weapon. Mortars can be easily one-manned but still require a lot of teamwork, they're also a LOT more accurate and significantly easier to dial in. The rocket techie is in kind of weird position of being less precise, less effective and require way more teamwork. I'm getting to a point where I get told at least once a round my shots are landing on target but I rarely get kills. I'm not even sure what effect the strikes have on the other team and nobody uses it on me so I've got a really poor idea of how effective the suppression is. 

Honestly if I could get a tik marker so I can have the barest measurement of where I'm setting my rocket launcher I'd be happy. Protractors aren't rocket science, it's the kind of thing that any dope of an insurgent could find in a school and immediately know how to apply to something that is clearly dependent on angles and arcs.

As of right now the weapon is way too inconsistent and difficult to use, requiring 3 people to use it effectively is a waste of team resources (given the game still isnt stable with 78 people) so I can't really get behind the developers argument that it should be fully crewed behind the line to be used properly. It still takes immense amount of team coordination, time spent adjusting for fire, timing so that you're not firing on friendlies, developing useful logistics for a firebase, etc. On top of all that using it always telegraphs your position in the most obvious ways. I get killed behind the frontline using the rocket truck more than anything else.

Again I understand in ways its a very  derp weapon that requires as lot of practice to be effective (and won't be useful every round) but I feel it needs a couple minor fixes to go from "lol" to "periodically effective lol." If players can solo Strikers and BDRMs and such as mobile fire platforms, then the rocket arty should at least be similarly useful with one person because they still require an entire team to cooperate to make any measurable impact on the fight.

Edited by Not_Tactical