Personally, I think that squad devs should implement a gas round that's fired from a mortar. I think that gas would be a useful weapon to use, and it could change up strategy in the game. Maybe players could have gas masks? Maybe gas could down/kill in seconds? Maybe their could be a hissing sound to warn players? I'm just giving examples here, but what do you guys think? 

SHO-SHIN   

I'd like it as an effect, similar to suppression for sure, maybe with minor ongoing damage if you stay in it etc.

Im not into issuing gas masks, to kinky................

10 hours ago, CptDirty said:

SMOKE ROUNDS!

?

This actually would be a very cool addition imo!

8 hours ago, Catindabox said:

Maybe insurgents could use highly expensive gas mortars in a mod

Yeah... Heard news of isis using mustard gas in Syria a year or so back. Maybe a special round for insurgents? https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/09/mustard-gas-us-troops-iraq/501347/

1 hour ago, Trevor larsen said:

This actually would be a very cool addition imo!

Yeah... Heard news of isis using mustard gas in Syria a year or so back. Maybe a special round for insurgents? https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/09/mustard-gas-us-troops-iraq/501347/

A cool trade off is that BLUFOR would have gas masks for the gas but insurgents wouldn't

On 7/5/2017 at 4:25 PM, Trevor larsen said:

Personally, I think that squad devs should implement a gas round that's fired from a mortar. I think that gas would be a useful weapon to use, and it could change up strategy in the game. Maybe players could have gas masks? Maybe gas could down/kill in seconds? Maybe their could be a hissing sound to warn players? I'm just giving examples here, but what do you guys think? 

I thought moveable curtains were my least favorite idea somebody has come up with for Squad... but I was wrong...

embecmom   

lol moveable curtains were a great idea as long as they were long enough o hide behind... ..smoke rounds from mortars would be great addition... gas attacks however .. are we going for a weapons of mass destruction scenario here? ...  think this is not an idea that should be entertained.. personally I am already uncomfortable with car bombs being included/IED's as part of a 'military game' .. which obviously sounds daft given I'm running around shooting people ! but there is simulation for good game play and fun vs simulating an actual terror act.

Flat896   

Smoke rounds are an essential piece to making mortars useful.

Gas  rounds I feel are unnecessary. If they were to be implemented, how who would get gas masks?

If only US/Russia, then it makes it impossible to for Insurgents/Militia to defend an area since it could just be gassed and cleared out without any attacking infantry present.

If nobody gets them, then it makes it impossible for anyone to hold an area.

If everyone gets them, then what's the point of adding gas in the first place if anybody can just equip a mask and keep fighting like normal but with less visibility.

It would just seem like a pointless gimmick to me.

tatzhit   

Gas rounds are used too infrequently IRL to make a real case for including them in any game thats not WW1 or Iraq-Iran war. Might as well include nukes.

tatzhit   

If the devs were to include something non-PC in the game, I would argue for larger VBIED trucks or hostages. Both tactics are used 1000x more frequently and effectively than gas. Heck, VBIEDs apparently killed more Abrams tanks in Iraq than any other method, including ATGMs (I think the stats I saw were over past 6 months or something, but it really makes you think).

Edited by tatzhit

suds   

human shield/hostage would be fun for one of the people involved ;P

How will this balance out? Will this add anything to the game at its current state at all? Why gas attacks? Has anyone thought about these?

So far there is no reason above to any of these questions (except that a few people want "gas attacks"). And if there is no clear reason obviously there isnt a clear reason this should be added. This is the kind of climate which brings out the people who are in favor of the rainbow-colored, cotton-candy-flavored gunskins. Ive done my best to avoid this topic but i couldnt help it today. If they arent here already, they will be soon, as they are always waiting to start spewing coddisms at every opportunity when things arent thought through or nailed down. They will claim anything is more inline with their cod religion than it is ours if you dont make it clear. I dont really like them and i am slightly afraid of them. As they take what they want and dont care about the community as a whole. If there is one there are more, mark my words. My tinfoil helmet is on and i have my fly swatter so dont try anything. Not one inch closer, i swear! This is my corner! i am staying in my corner! Thats right! I knew i was coming down here and i do have goldfish crackers and flashlight batteries! You hypocrites try and take either of them you are asking for trouble! 

IT WONT WORK: THE SIMPLE ANSWER

1)No large pool of options, 2)Death has little consequence, 3)Mustard Gas or Nerve Gas is not commonly used (that we know of)

Everyone will be walking around in hazmat suits? Will everyone have them or will they have to resupply? Doesnt matter at its current state:

This wont add anything to the game. Its not realistic enough to have this. There is no large pool of options enough in this game with equipment ect to warrant the ability to use "gas attacks". This would only work out if death had more consequence and there was a larger pool of equipment and options. The game as is wont benefit from just obscure "gas attacks". Sure it happens in irl (not often from what ive heard). No, this is not whats best. The reason why player death would need to have more meaning even if there were more options is because out of those options most people would choose to leave an entire hazmat suit at base (more gear to carry) and take there chances that an obscure gas attack might not happen. They would then die and then go grab the suit. Nothing added but annoyance.

Nerf rallies, add more different equipment to the game which the commander can choose. It will work then.

There is no reason why this should be added to the game.

Smoke rounds are a good idea though.

Edited by madcat768

5 hours ago, madcat768 said:

How will this balance out? Will this add anything to the game at its current state at all? Why gas attacks? Has anyone thought about these?

So far there is no reason above to any of these questions (except that a few people want "gas attacks"). And if there is no clear reason obviously there isnt a clear reason this should be added. This is the kind of climate which brings out the people who are in favor of the rainbow-colored, cotton-candy-flavored gunskins. Ive done my best to avoid this topic but i couldnt help it today. If they arent here already, they will be soon, as they are always waiting to start spewing coddisms at every opportunity when things arent thought through or nailed down. They will claim anything is more inline with their cod religion than it is ours if you dont make it clear. I dont really like them and i am slightly afraid of them. As they take what they want and dont care about the community as a whole. If there is one there are more, mark my words. My tinfoil helmet is on and i have my fly swatter so dont try anything. Not one inch closer, i swear! This is my corner! i am staying in my corner! Thats right! I knew i was coming down here and i do have goldfish crackers and flashlight batteries! You hypocrites try and take either of them you are asking for trouble! 

IT WONT WORK: THE SIMPLE ANSWER

1)No large pool of options, 2)Death has little consequence, 3)Mustard Gas or Nerve Gas is not commonly used (that we know of)

Everyone will be walking around in hazmat suits? Will everyone have them or will they have to resupply? Doesnt matter at its current state:

This wont add anything to the game. Its not realistic enough to have this. There is no large pool of options enough in this game with equipment ect to warrant the ability to use "gas attacks". This would only work out if death had more consequence and there was a larger pool of equipment and options. The game as is wont benefit from just obscure "gas attacks". Sure it happens in irl (not often from what ive heard). No, this is not whats best. The reason why player death would need to have more meaning even if there were more options is because out of those options most people would choose to leave an entire hazmat suit at base (more gear to carry) and take there chances that an obscure gas attack might not happen. They would then die and then go grab the suit. Nothing added but annoyance.

Nerf rallies, add more different equipment to the game which the commander can choose. It will work then.

There is no reason why this should be added to the game.

Smoke rounds are a good idea though.

Fair enough

@Trevor larsen i would love it if they choose to nerf rallies, death had more of a consequence, more options for tools and everything. Closer to reality with gas attacks. Ijust dont think it would work to well now. 

ADDED AFTER EDIT:

Also i didnt mention this above but for more modern uses of gas attacks, i have heard of more different chemical weapons other than mustard gas being used more frequently. Such as nerve gas ect where i think the standard issue for any kind of supposed chemical weapon threat is a full body hazmat suit, possibly even if just mustard gas was suspected, realistically they would believe they might have other kinds of chemical weapons? Is this true? if it is then you would have alot more gear (the full body hazmat suit) on either way. I would guess that even though mustard gas doesnt kill right away when making contact with skin, it cant do anything good in the long term to you either.

Edited by madcat768