bilsantu

Assets and FOB Costs

72 posts in this topic

A simple idea. A FOB will cost more tickets the more assets it has deployed or built in its build zone. I will give an example.

Right now a FOB (the radio) costs 20 tickets. It has a 150 meters build radius. Let's say I built 3 HMGs in this zone, I will lose 35 tickets because each HMG will increase the FOBs cost by 5 tickets. Then I build 1 repair station (5 tickets), 1 ATGM (10 tickets) and 2 mortars (5 tickets). Now I have a FOB that costs 60 tickets.

Now, developers stated time and time again that some we will be able to destroy some static assets with explosives or large caliber projectiles. Let's assume enemy spotted the ATGM and a MBT destroyed it. Now the FOB costs 50 tickets. So it will go up and down depending on the assets it as active at destroy time.

This should give more incentive to defend heavily fortified FOBs and more thoughts to enemies on how should they take out a FOB. Risk and reward correlation.

It's an interesting concept and one we should discuss.

Personally I think FOBs should cost say double what they do now so they are protected more often and used for intended purpose. Also helps with us dismantling them when done with.

Protect your FOB's!

Fobs are far too cheap, so much so it's worth risking losing them. The idea of increasing the risk could be a nice addition.

Yup, seems pretty logical to me. You going to FOB up an entire defense? Fine, but you'll have more to lose then...

It's a deeper subject for sure my point in doubling the ticket loss when they are taken is pointed more towards the spawn only FOB's used that get taken down when found undefended etc. 

Happens in both matches and of course public games far to often.

How about amount of troops spawned from them increases there cost. 

2 hours ago, Smee said:

That will be way too much how much do you mean? 60 tickets 70 tickets?

Saying the game almost over both sides have about 120 tickets and one of your SL's decides to build an FOB on the flag and it get's removed.The rest of the team will suffer.i think it should be like this

6 hours ago, bilsantu said:

A simple idea. A FOB will cost more tickets the more assets it has deployed or built in its build zone. I will give an example.

Right now a FOB (the radio) costs 20 tickets. It has a 150 meters build radius. Let's say I built 3 HMGs in this zone, I will lose 35 tickets because each HMG will increase the FOBs cost by 5 tickets. Then I build 1 repair station (5 tickets), 1 ATGM (10 tickets) and 2 mortars (5 tickets). Now I have a FOB that costs 60 tickets.

+ for any kind of restriction to FOB usage. 
Base FOB cost should be straight up 40-50 to punish hard for losing it. Amount of spawns on it should also 100% be restricted by either a static, slowly increasing amount or tie it up into supplies or something but the current unrestricted version is beyond stupid.

4 hours ago, Smee said:

What if this worked in the other direction, If a fob has been highly used ammo construction points the fob loses a small amount of value depending on the state at the time it's removed. say 50 Ammo 100 Build -10 / 100 Ammo 150 Build -8 and so on... I'm also assuming they will increase the value of fobs at some point at least to 30 or 40 tickets, although with ATGMs coming into play I don't think fobs can go on as a cheap solution for fire support for much longer. 

+1 for this.

They could also add the ammo/construction points to the list, maybe 100 points=1 ticket. So up to total it would be 30 tickets loss from these points only.

But for this they could probably reduce the cost of the FOB itself to 10 or something (+ losses from assets/points).

This should encourage teams to dig out their unneeded FOB's even if there aren't any assets placed. And if the other team is losing hard on tickets, they could turn the tides by digging enemy FOB's that has lot's of stuff in it.

It's my opinion that the mechanics of the FOB and it's peripherals is a finished product and no further tweaking other than the inclusion of additional assets into the radial menu is necessary. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, sure, let's make FOBs more valuable and create more incentive to defend it. On the other, you'll have some idiot SL build a superfob where it's not needed and as the match goes on, you'll be faced with the decision to lose it, and all the tickets, because no one is there defending it since it's in a stupid place, or, you choose to go defend it which means you have to leave whereever you should be. 

Maybe reduction of value over time

Fob + deployable - time in existence  ()min 10)  or  fob + deployable +  (spawned /8) - time in existence  (min 10)

We kinda loose em quick as it is, its gonna scare people off using the assets in game.

I think it would lead to an astonishing amount of static, defensive play. If nobody is attacking, and everyone is defending, this wont be a very fun game to play. I think fob ticket cost is fine where its at, as they are worth slightly less than tickets cost if you lose a flag. Generally, the only way your going to cap a flag is by taking out the enemy fob near it. 20 (fob) + 30 (flag caps vary) = 50 tickets already.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

Spawning should use up points on a FOB.  - require supplies for effective FOB, reserve spawns for squad leaders.

A FOB which is spawned on should provide points to the players in range of it. - encourage defending but only on a valuable FOB.

I dont think FOB loss penalties should be significant. The game revolves around spawn points and these keep action going which equals fun. Penalties should be to the abilities for the team to advance rather than to their ticket count.

11 minutes ago, suds said:

Spawning should use up points on a FOB.  - require supplies for effective FOB, reserve spawns for squad leaders.

A FOB which is spawned on should provide points to the players in range of it. - encourage defending but only on a valuable FOB.

I dont think FOB loss penalties should be significant. The game revolves around spawn points and these keep action going which equals fun. Penalties should be to the abilities for the team to advance rather than to their ticket count.

The most important asset in the game is the FOB why is it essential? Because you need the hab as for the supplies and the repair station and all that super fortress stuff it's not really important. If you are going to make the spawn points limited you just ruined the concept of the FOB. Squad leaders need that because they are always suffering putting new rally points which get compromised very often even if you put them far away from the action (sneaking enemies)

Edited by Mister Skippy

I feel your understanding is incorrect.

repairing a vehicle at a fob uses build points

firing an emplacement at a fob uses ammo points

There are other ways to use the resource points available at a fob

I think spawning at a fob should also use some resource which is renewed via a supply truck. As a placeholder lets call them "R&R" points to reference the magical process which results in the creation of a person. Alternatives could be "booty" or "IVF" points

The result of this is that a fob behind enemy lines, cut off from supply is less effective. a strong fob with a supply route is far more valuable through direct action of that team and not through magic.

23 hours ago, SgtHerhi said:

+ for any kind of restriction to FOB usage. 
Base FOB cost should be straight up 40-50 to punish hard for losing it. Amount of spawns on it should also 100% be restricted by either a static, slowly increasing amount or tie it up into supplies or something but the current unrestricted version is beyond stupid.

Live a manpower icon so in a 50v50 a fib could have 25 manpower on once this is used it has to be resupplyed by a commander who pops inbgame in a logistics with manpower ie one with the red Cross on etc ?

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“In the full version, we are aiming for the support of 100 player servers with 50 players on each side. In addition what we have planned are a full compliment of vehicles for each faction, which goes from the small (motorbikes), all the way to helicopters. Lastly we intend to fully flesh out the Base Building system by including more deployables, refining the construction and supply systems.”

This is from Squad's store page on steam.

Little off-topic but what if enemies would lose tickets from rally's by how many spawns it has left when clearing them.

14 hours ago, Mister Skippy said:

refining the construction and supply systems.

Here we are helping them refine. ^^

If you make losing FOBs too costly, the game will just grind to a halt, or become "FOB hunter simulator" even more. No one wants to sit around defending an offensive FOB that the enemy won't find for 20 minutes. Like imagine attacking Akim on Gorodok; you have to make FOBs surrounding that the enemy usually doesn't find for the duration of the match. Imagine being the guy tasked to defend those? You'd be bored out of your skull. Now it may be true that there would be more enemies looking for FOBs, but regardless of this, the boredom factor would most likely be too great to actually have as a feature in Squad. People will not do things that bore them in a public match.

Right now offensive FOBs are basically just tools that you use to encircle the enemy. They're not supposed to be defended.

If you wanted to make losing FOBs extremely costly, another spawn point would need to be added, as a medium between rallies and FOBs, as something that is intended to be concealed and eventually found and lost. Perhaps they could have a low cost to lose, low cost to build, but have a timer/limited number of spawns.

Edited by 40mmrain

Wouldn't be surprised if something like this already in the works, planned or already been discussed by the designers on the team. It's a decent thought and coupled with resupplying and repairing costing resources per use it would definitely put more emphasis on FOBs being actual bases instead of a spawn point. Even mortars made FOBs feel more persistent than before, as opposed to it feeling like a glorified rally point for the team to just drop down and run from.

However, the end result will most likely be the same in terms of current gameplay. FOBs are still a priority to take out, purely because of the power they hold when it comes to attacking and defending objectives through respawns, resupplies and repairs. Adding more ticket value to them will just shorten the duration of matches, so just take that into account when thinking of such an idea.

1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

Wouldn't be surprised if something like this already in the works, planned or already been discussed by the designers on the team. It's a decent thought and coupled with resupplying and repairing costing resources per use it would definitely put more emphasis on FOBs being actual bases instead of a spawn point. Even mortars made FOBs feel more persistent than before, as opposed to it feeling like a glorified rally point for the team to just drop down and run from.

However, the end result will most likely be the same in terms of current gameplay. FOBs are still a priority to take out, purely because of the power they hold when it comes to attacking and defending objectives through respawns, resupplies and repairs. Adding more ticket value to them will just shorten the duration of matches, so just take that into account when thinking of such an idea.

You could always reduce a fob radio / have one spawn per person then a new hab would have to be placed this there for will need protect but the supplys would not be effected?