Legalize Gluten

Feature Request: Listen to Mic

What I am specifically talking about is a feature that lets you listen to your mic while you are transmitting only. It's pretty much built in to windows except it stays on all the time.

While playing, I often find myself speaking loudly or quietly because I can't tell how I sound to other players. This seems like it would be a really simple feature to add, and very possibly could make communications even more effective between teammates, in a game where communication is the most important aspect. Additionally, this could also improve the realism/RPing aspect of the game, since many real life headsets let you hear yourself speak while transmitting, also in IRL you can generally hear yourself while talking :)

With that said, I could certainly get used to talking without hearing myself, and I might just make an autohotkey script to toggle the Windows listen to mic feature on and off whenever I press the transmit button.

hmm, interesting - i find the windoze playback (monitor) of the mic to be annoying, particularly as there is a very noticable lag - i find myself listening to ("hearing") the playback rather than everything else - the lag is the issue here, if there is no lag then it's not noticable at all.

imo, generally, if you set your transmit level so that the majority of players can hear you ok, then it is up to other players to set their volume controls to a suitable level to hear you - not the other way around. a quick soundcheck before round starts should clear up any quiet levels - yours or theirs.

17 hours ago, Legalize Gluten said:

What I am specifically talking about is a feature that lets you listen to your mic while you are transmitting only. It's pretty much built in to windows except it stays on all the time.

With that said, I could certainly get used to talking without hearing myself, and I might just make an autohotkey script to toggle the Windows listen to mic feature on and off whenever I press the transmit button.

AHK:

;#IfWinActive ahk_exe Squad.exe

~*$vk42:: ; B Key
{
toggleMute("vk42") ; B Key
}
return

toggleMute(thisKey) {
SoundSet, 0, Microphone, mute  ; sets the microphone's PLAYBACK mute state
KeyWait % thisKey
SoundSet, 1, Microphone, mute  ; sets the microphone's PLAYBACK mute state
}

Uncomment #IfWinActive to make it work in Squad only. To bind local and squad leader chats to activate playback, use virtual key codes(not names of buttons, it will only work in eng layout then).

Also consider the fact that even if you will hear yourself very good, it doesn't mean other players will, because everyone have different ears, level of hearing, sound cards, headsets, windows volume sounds and in-game settings.

11 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

hmm, interesting - i find the windoze playback (monitor) of the mic to be annoying, particularly as there is a very noticable lag - i find myself listening to ("hearing") the playback rather than everything else - the lag is the issue here, if there is no lag then it's not noticable at all.

It is your sound card's drivers or sound card itself. I don't have any noticeable lag on my sound card and it doesn't matter if I use built-in windows playback feature(listen to this device), playback settings int the microphone settings, or playback feature in the brand control panel of my sound card.

imo, generally, if you set your transmit level so that the majority of players can hear you ok, then it is up to other players to set their volume controls to a suitable level to hear you - not the other way around.

It depends. If you want everyone to hear you, even in local at a big distance, you can set boost mic function as well as set sensitivity to a 100.

I am pretty sure one can even write some programs to bind different buttons to set different microphone sensitivities:

B - 50% mic sens, talk in squad chat. B up - set mic sens back to 50%.

V - 100% mic sens, boost microphone +30 db, talk in local voice chat in squad. V up - set mic sens back to 50%, set boost mic to what it was before.

G - 100% mic sens, boost microphone +30 db, talk in squad leader voice chat in squad. V up - set mic sens back to 50%, set boost mic to what it was before.

Edited by Skul

13 hours ago, Skul said:

Also consider the fact that even if you will hear yourself very good, it doesn't mean other players will, because everyone have different ears, level of hearing, sound cards, headsets, windows volume sounds and in-game settings

True that. the reason i said a soundcheck at the start of the round is a good idea.

13 hours ago, Skul said:

It is your sound card's drivers or sound card itself.

no soundcard but i will see about the drivers, they could very well be out of date (not something many keep up to date)

13 hours ago, Skul said:

If you want everyone to hear you, even in local at a big distance

well, everyone in your squad should be able to hear you clearly. As for "local" i imagine most peeps probably just talk/call louder depending on how far away others are from them, just like you would do irl.

no soundcard but i will see about the drivers, they could very well be out of date (not something many keep up to date)

In my experience with many PCs, 'latest' drivers are often glitchy and laggy ones. When you fight for lowering your input lag(like I do), you are constantly and forever at ultimate war with BIOS, drivers and their bloatware they implement(like HPET) in new versions of their drivers to add some input lag just for kicks.

Don't keep your drivers up to date just to be 'up to date'. I mean never. Update them only if you have some particular justified reason, like a lag during a playback of your microphone through your speakers(and when you actually need that function for something, like OP does). But considering you don't care about that playback function, I wouldn't update my drivers if I was you.

well, everyone in your squad should be able to hear you clearly.

Yeah, the problems start when you start using local, squad leader chat and TeamSpeak. In my experience it is the hardest thing to configure in video games - audio settings: TeamSpeak mic sens; TeamSpeak Playback; in-game sound effects to hear steps and shots; in-game mic sensitivity; squad voice chat; squad leader voice chat; local voice chat. And not just set it up so it 'works' but to set it up in the way that you will be able to hear in a good way steps, shots, TeamSpeak, squad chat, local chat, squad leader chat. And to hear all of that at the same time.

I noticed that most of the people have problems hearing squad leader chat and local voice chat. And that's not because they're dumb, deaf or whatever. That's because of bad default in-game settings. I had to set my in-game settings in this way in order to be able to hear in a good way steps, shots, local voice, squad voice and squad leader voice at the same time:

yLXG6u2.png

But then TeamSpeak is too quite even if you set +20 db in TeamSpeak settings. Now I use different volume levels in Windows(Volume Mixer) for TeamSpeak, Discord and for Squad in order to maintain equal volume power for Discord, TeamSpeak and Squad xd.

As for "local" i imagine most peeps probably just talk/call louder depending on how far away others are from them, just like you would do irl.

Well, yeah. I was thinking of making this bind to boost my microphone sensitivity to a 100 and use boost function when I talk in local, so people will better hear me(I am loud in squad chat even at my 50 mic sensitivity). Downside of this is it will not work for everyone, some people already have mic sens at 100 and they already use boost function.

5 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

@Legalize Gluten I'm with you, I'd like to see something like this:

Yeah that's another thing I realize I want, an auto reduction to my squad chat when command is trying to tell me about a new tactical situation. Ofc, the real solution here is to probably be a bit more hardass SL and tell your squad to keep the squad chatter to a minimum unless it is essential information. TBH I think local chat should be louder than squad chat (probably not true if you are SL though), because that is where people will call for medic, warn about frags/vehicles, or ask for assistance in clearing a building.

As a whole I love the VOIP system in squad, but there is definitely plenty of room for improvement. I'm not sure this is something the devs should really even think about though just cuz they have so much other stuff to do.

5 hours ago, Skul said:

Thanks for the great responses Skul. I'll give that AHK script a shot. Also good point about the drivers, I recently updated GeForce Experience and it made squad run at 10fps until I completely uninstalled it (now I get around average 30fps, on really optimized maps i get 60 though).