rit

Squad only using 30% of CPU. Please help

rit   

Hi,

Squad is using only 30% of the cpu. why is this?. How do I fix this please?.

Thanks.

SHO-SHIN   

It is widely known that Squad does not utilise the full CPU currently, theres not much you can do I am afraid.

What CPU are you using?

Psyrus   
19 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

It is widely known that Squad does not utilise the full CPU currently

Only among the established squad community. Unless the devs decide to put it on the steam store page ;)

SHO-SHIN   
1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Only among the established squad community. Unless the devs decide to put it on the steam store page ;)

yes fair point.

Smee   

Try increasing uour res or supersampling. Pump up the antialiasing. See what you get then

moppel   
3 hours ago, Smee said:

Try increasing uour res or supersampling. Pump up the antialiasing. See what you get then

Even lower utilization, cause you move the bottleneck  to the GPU .

That'll be 30% cpu usage of all cores overall. I bet you have one core being utilised around 80%+. UE4, therefore Squad, isn't very well multi threaded yet so can't take advantage of multicore cpus yet.

13 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

That'll be 30% cpu usage of all cores overall. I bet you have one core being utilised around 80%+. UE4, therefore Squad, isn't very well multi threaded yet so can't take advantage of multicore cpus yet.

Stop saying this, it's totally incorrect. It's down to the devs to multi thread there game thread. While the render thread cannot work across many threads in dx11, and will only be changed with new apis like vulkan/dx12. So yes you will always have 1 core with more usage than the others, but it can't be as shitty as squads implementation. All of this could be learned by simple google search. And who told you that UE4 was un-optimized, because the hundreds of triple AAA studios and indie teams would surely like to know how you arrived at that position. 

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?125777-Unreal-Engine-4-14-Preview/page5

Can you inform all the idiots saying this excuse as well? because it's really disheartening to see people shit on a engine that provides people with feature set they couldn't get elsewhere. 

banOkay   
4 hours ago, godamntwitch said:

Stop saying this, it's totally incorrect. It's down to the devs to multi thread there game thread. While the render thread cannot work across many threads in dx11, and will only be changed with new apis like vulkan/dx12. So yes you will always have 1 core with more usage than the others, but it can't be as shitty as squads implementation. All of this could be learned by simple google search. And who told you that UE4 was un-optimized, because the hundreds of triple AAA studios and indie teams would surely like to know how you arrived at that position. 

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?125777-Unreal-Engine-4-14-Preview/page5

Can you inform all the idiots saying this excuse as well? because it's really disheartening to see people shit on a engine that provides people with feature set they couldn't get elsewhere. 

Can you give us an example of a UE4 game that doesn't have horrible performance?

6 hours ago, banOkay said:

Can you give us an example of a UE4 game that doesn't have horrible performance?

Geasr of war 4, LawBreakers, and now battlegrounds have good performance. The creator of battlegrounds also has said many times that unreal engine and it's capabilities, out of the box are unmatched by it's competitors. 

banOkay   

GoW 4 runs on DirectX 12, they must've spent many hours implementing that themselves considering Epic doesn't fully support it yet. LawBreakers ran decently for me in beta, I'll give you that. PUBG still has really bad performance with both server not handling player counts and people getting low FPS all over the place.

Skul   

It's not just 'show an example of an UE4 game with good performance' but 'show us an example of an UE4 multiplayer game with 100 players on a server, which will provide players with adequate for their hardware FPS'.

From what I've heard, when 100 players drop in PUBG, it is a lag fest until most of them die, then it's fine. But it doesn't really count when there are only 40 players left. You can play Squad 20v20 on AMD CPU and it will be Ok-ish, too.

Basically, modern developers should really start to care about input lag and FPS issues more, instead of sells of their games, skins of guns and other irrelevant 'cool-looking' bullshit.

Regarding your 30% CPU usage issue. I am pretty sure you're sitting on AMD. If you actually want it fixed, just sell your AMD MB and CPU, and just buy Intel-based system.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:30 AM, godamntwitch said:

Geasr of war 4, LawBreakers, and now battlegrounds have good performance. The creator of battlegrounds also has said many times that unreal engine and it's capabilities, out of the box are unmatched by it's competitors. 

PUBG runs terribly, you can't say it runs well at all. Hit detection is terrible until player counts drop from 100 -> 75ish, and the game is a complete lag fest until then as well. 

None of these examples you brought up are particularly relevant at all, with PUBG being the only somewhat relevant one; and it runs like trash at times.

2 hours ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

PUBG runs terribly, you can't say it runs well at all. Hit detection is terrible until player counts drop from 100 -> 75ish, and the game is a complete lag fest until then as well. 

None of these examples you brought up are particularly relevant at all, with PUBG being the only somewhat relevant one; and it runs like trash at times.

PUBG runs a whole lot better than Squad. I get 70-80 fps on PUBG and i only get 20-40fps on Squad. Maybe you haven't tried the new updates, but player unknown has said extensively that with Unreal they haven't had to worry about performance issues as lets say a Arma 3, or H1z1 might have to. Do you really think PUBG won't have its performance issues handled in the next few months? because if you payed attention they have been patching there game consistantly and it has gone up considerably. 

On 7/10/2017 at 11:42 AM, godamntwitch said:

PUBG runs a whole lot better than Squad. I get 70-80 fps on PUBG and i only get 20-40fps on Squad. Maybe you haven't tried the new updates, but player unknown has said extensively that with Unreal they haven't had to worry about performance issues as lets say a Arma 3, or H1z1 might have to. Do you really think PUBG won't have its performance issues handled in the next few months? because if you payed attention they have been patching there game consistantly and it has gone up considerably. 

I seem to have around 60-90% range on both my 4 core's [email protected]

Not sure where this myth of UE4 only utilizing 2 core's came from, but its funny nevertheless.

That's why I love Frostbite. 

Insane looking, 64 players per game + insane performance and framerates.

CPU utilisation in current squad engine can be compared only with a big, brown, smelly ... you know what. I can't wait when devs will do some work with better multicore CPUs usage - but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near in future. 

@ChiefSOSA - 90% of calculations are done in a single core in Squad, that's why just high Ghz is giving best FPS boost in squad. The CPU that provides best Mhz wins for now, no matter the number of cores. That's why even such eunuch like i3 will give you a decent FPS in Squad and there won't be much difference i3 vs i7. Ghz counts. 

1 hour ago, PadrePadre said:

That's why I love Frostbite. 

Insane looking, 64 players per game + insane performance and framerates.

CPU utilisation in current squad engine can be compared only with a big, brown, smelly ... you know what. I can't wait when devs will do some work with better multicore CPUs usage - but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near in future. 

@ChiefSOSA - 90% of calculations are done in a single core in Squad, that's why just high Ghz is giving best FPS boost in squad. The CPU that provides best Mhz wins for now, no matter the number of cores. That's why even such eunuch like i3 will give you a decent FPS in Squad and there won't be much difference i3 vs i7. Ghz counts. 

It has more to do with the developer than Frostbite. If Dice, spent as much time customizing UE4,( since they provide you the full source code to do it) then they would have been able to accomplished the same thing.  It's really not a good comparison to make.

Edited by godamntwitch