Literally Hitler

Numbers instead of names on Squad members

So when you make a squad that squad gets a number like squad 3. So when you comunicate with other squad leaders it is easier too say? "squad 2 what's up?" Than to say "Butt ****ers what's up? So when you are in the middle of combat it is somtimes hard to find out what some people are called if you are trying to get ther attention. 

So the system goes like this: if you are in squad 2 you have the two in front, and the next number is the order you joined the squad (Or you'r role)  besides you name in game and on the spawn screen. Squad leads are always number one in that squad so Squad leader 2. Looks like this: 2-1 (Much like they do in Generation Kill)

The rest of the squad is set up similarly: 2-1

2-2

2-3

2-4....

This will make it easier to give orders to individual and not think of how to pronounce "[DK]FlatulenBullofGod" when you are trying to get the atteintion of your AT.  

Like this: 

https://i.imgur.com/ReEI54t.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PrSt403.jpg

I dont see why not.. I think we should give it a try. It's nice to see someone calling my Callsign in the battlefield.. 
"Hey 3-2, you see that guy over there?"
"..they're trying to kill you"
*shoots

But i have a little concern that, it'll somehow mixed with someone trying to say the direction of the target..

Feel free to give everyone in your squad a number, don't expect them to remember it, nor the number of someone else. 

Useless confusion, just use simple nicknames and its all good.

Pretty good idea, actually. Of course people will not necessarily remember which number they are, but it's a nice little resource to enhance communication, specially in organized squads. Also being able to lock squads, kick members, give the SL role to someone else, etc...

9 hours ago, Literally Hitler said:

So when you make a squad that squad gets a number like squad 3. So when you comunicate with other squad leaders it is easier too say? "squad 2 what's up?" Than to say "Butt ****ers what's up? So when you are in the middle of combat it is somtimes hard to find out what some people are called if you are trying to get ther attention. 

So the system goes like this: if you are in squad 2 you have the two in front, and the next number is the order you joined the squad (Or you'r role)  besides you name in game and on the spawn screen. Squad leads are always number one in that squad so Squad leader 2. Looks like this: 2-1 (Much like they do in Generation Kill) 

When the concept you're talking about is interesting: using code names instead of nicknames, using numbers as code names is way worse than using words, just as with using bearings(azimuth, angle) worse than using cardinal points and divisions(sides of the world) compared to the other objects:

300px-Brosen_windrose.svg.png

'Why?', you might ask. Because people much easier remember words than numbers, simply because we use words so many times more often(and because we have associative memory) than numbers. Note that I haven't use a single number in my message yet and used 87 words before I used first number in my message:

http://www.thememoryinstitute.com/remembering-numbers.html

People who train their 'number memory' use associations with letters or words while trying to remember many or very long numbers.

It is much better to say:"I see 4 enemy infs 200 meters away east-north-east of a Hemp Farm" than to say:"Enemy 265".

But that's what most people do, they give irrelevant information - a bearing from their own position, irrelevant because that 265 bearing doesn't give any useful information to any of their squad mates, because everyone in Squad are in different positions and as a result everyone in squad will have different bearings to that enemy. And don't even start with that bullcrap about 'all squad mates should stay close to each other'. That's just a lie in fact it is exactly opposite: squad mates should never come close to each other unless it is necessary(medic to heal/revive) and should stay far away(50-100m between players) from each other when moving 'together' as a squad. And in most of the situations distance between squad mates is bigger(which is a good sign that a squad knows what they're doing), there are also vehicles on the hills, so bearing don't really give jack to anyone except for a person who said that information in the first place. There are, of course, a lot of squads, which just like to create a clusterfudge with 10-18 people in the same compound. But they play this game in the wrong way in the first place, they should l2p the game itself before moving to things like how to give proper information.

265 number is a random number which can't be associated with anything, without a person opening their map, finding a guy who gave info on the map,  looking at their compass(bottom of the monitor) for quite a few seconds and doing a lot calculations in their mind:"Ok. 90 is east, 180 is south, 270 is west, so for me enemy is probably somewhere at bearing 225, because I am in another than the guy who gave the info position, not to mention that it took me about 10 seconds to just find a guy(who gave info) on the map out of 7 left squad mates(minus me and a squad leader)". Don't use bearings, unless you're not more than 2 meters away from your squad mate or if you're sitting inside an armored vehicle.

And when you say:"I see 4 enemy infs 200 meters away east-north-east of a Hemp Farm", that info instantly gives everything to every single one of your squad mates without them opening a map, doing any kind of unintuitive calculations or looking at their compass whatsoever(if they have a brain). I can tell you what the place described above in this paragraph looks like, even without opening my game, on every map and game mode there is a Hemp Farm flag. Can you tell where enemies(and what kind of enemy) are and what the place looks like if on Kohat I will just tell you in squad chat:"Enemy are on 155"? Yep. That's my point.

So if you want to use code names instead of nicknames - it is better to pick a system based on words than on numbers. I would say fire teams inside a squad, based on Latin alphabet and different colors on the map for each squad mate, as well as a name of that color in the list of your squad mates, like you showed it with numbers:

ReEI54t.jpg

And even better, to give specific colors to different classes, so Squad Leader is green, medics are yellow and orange, RPGs are red and brown, grenade launcher is blue, etc.

It would be much better than using numbers: you have words instead of numbers(which is better just by definition), different colors on the map and on your monitor, and at the same time you have associations between fireteams, colored triangles on the map, colored code names on your monitor and classes in the squad, which will be much more intuitive  and efficient to use than numbers. It will be even better if they will lock specific colors for specific fireteams(there can't be more than 3 fireteams in squad, right?).

That's just a basic concept I came with in real-time while writing it, I'm sure developers can do much better if they will read about how memory works.

Edited by Skul

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

@Skul are you somekind of writer? 

Just 500 KPM.

2 hours ago, Skul said:

When the concept you're talking about is interesting: using code names instead of nicknames, using numbers as code names is way worse than using words, just as with using bearings(azimuth, angle) worse than using cardinal points and divisions(sides of the world) compared to the other objects:

300px-Brosen_windrose.svg.png

'Why?', you might ask. Because people much easier remember words than numbers, simply because we use words so many times more often(and because we have associative memory) than numbers. Note that I haven't use a single number in my message yet and used 87 words before I used first number in my message:

http://www.thememoryinstitute.com/remembering-numbers.html

People who train their 'number memory' use associations with letters or words while trying to remember many or very long numbers.

It is much better to say:"I see 4 enemy infs 200 meters away east-north-east of a Hemp Farm" than to say:"Enemy 265".

But that's what most people do, they give irrelevant information - a bearing from their own position, irrelevant because that 265 bearing doesn't give any useful information to any of their squad mates, because everyone in Squad are in different positions and as a result everyone in squad will have different bearings to that enemy. And don't even start with that bullcrap about 'all squad mates should stay close to each other'. That's just a lie in fact it is exactly opposite: squad mates should never come close to each other unless it is necessary(medic to heal/revive) and should stay far away(50-100m between players) from each other when moving 'together' as a squad. And in most of the situations distance between squad mates is bigger(which is a good sign that a squad knows what they're doing), there are also vehicles on the hills, so bearing don't really give jack to anyone except for a person who said that information in the first place. There are, of course, a lot of squads, which just like to create a clusterfudge with 10-18 people in the same compound. But they play this game in the wrong way in the first place, they should l2p the game itself before moving to things like how to give proper information.

265 number is a random number which can't be associated with anything, without a person opening their map, finding a guy who gave info on the map,  looking at their compass(bottom of the monitor) for quite a few seconds and doing a lot calculations in their mind:"Ok. 90 is east, 180 is south, 270 is west, so for me enemy is probably somewhere at bearing 225, because I am in another than the guy who gave the info position, not to mention that it took me about 10 seconds to just find a guy(who gave info) on the map out of 7 left squad mates(minus me and a squad leader)". Don't use bearings, unless you're not more than 2 meters away from your squad mate or if you're sitting inside an armored vehicle.

And when you say:"I see 4 enemy infs 200 meters away east-north-east of a Hemp Farm", that info instantly gives everything to every single one of your squad mates without them opening a map, doing any kind of unintuitive calculations or looking at their compass whatsoever(if they have a brain). I can tell you what the place described above in this paragraph looks like, even without opening my game, on every map and game mode there is a Hemp Farm flag. Can you tell where enemies(and what kind of enemy) are and what the place looks like if on Kohat I will just tell you in squad chat:"Enemy are on 155"? Yep. That's my point.

So if you want to use code names instead of nicknames - it is better to pick a system based on words than on numbers. I would say fire teams inside a squad, based on Latin alphabet and different colors on the map for each squad mate, as well as a name of that color in the list of your squad mates, like you showed it with numbers:

ReEI54t.jpg

And even better, to give specific colors to different classes, so Squad Leader is green, medics are yellow and orange, RPGs are red and brown, grenade launcher is blue, etc.

It would be much better than using numbers: you have words instead of numbers(which is better just by definition), different colors on the map and on your monitor, and at the same time you have associations between fireteams, colored triangles on the map, colored code names on your monitor and classes in the squad, which will be much more intuitive  and efficient to use than numbers. It will be even better if they will lock specific colors for specific fireteams(there can't be more than 3 fireteams in squad, right?).

That's just a basic concept I came with in real-time while writing it, I'm sure developers can do much better if they will read about how memory works.

I can se that nicknames based on nummers are maybe not ideal like: "Two two look One five five there is a stryker left of four one" , but when you are in a squad that comunicate you can also say in squad chat: "Two look South East there is a stryker by SL four", and it's still easier to say than trying to pronounce their steam name. And that is the main goal of the system to try and get the atteintion of a spesific solder, easier. And some people don't even respond to there name in the game and probebly even less to the number idea. But you now have bothe options so if they dont respond to there number you can still se the name and call that.  

So knowing which number is your's sems to be the problem with this kind of nicknaming. And since you are most likely getting a new one each game it has to be easy to remember( or be forced to stare at it the whole time).

Ok, i have tried to make a system based on colors instead of numbers more like:

os1K1Jx.jpg

And the map will look like:

0s6KXuI.jpg

I thought about giving diffrent colors (Numbers) to diffrent roles, but you don't now which roles are in a squad. And if all in a squad is a rifleman and the rifleman color is gray, everybody would be gray and the nicknames would't make a diffrence (So and icon would be better).

I prefer the number system. Especially when some people have usernames made up of hieroglyphics and unicode symbols, a clan name longer than his actual name, a name that can't be pronounced ( some user names don't even have vowels )  or a long string of numbers like 1345t3243531. It's just easier to say 4-2.

And in squad leader chat, people actually don't even use the squad names. They say squad-1, squad-2 etc, instead of Alpha squad, I_made_a_long_squad_name_for_no_damn_reason squad etc, etc. I guess that's because when they look at the map they can't see the squad names unless you roll the mouse cursor over player, but they can see the squad number quick because the squad leader icon on the map has the squad number.

I agree that a player can forget his own number. Hell, I sometimes even forget which team I'm in. So a display of the player's own number in big letter on the HUD may be necessary.

Already seen this before, it should just be an optional thing at the beginning of their name in the scoreboard/squad tab and also show up when they use local chat.