_randombullet

Motorcycle POV

Will the existing POV be what we get in Beta/Retail? As of right now it is pretty bad. I find myself looking down towards the front fender so i dont throw up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, _randombullet said:

Will the existing POV be what we get in Beta/Retail? As of right now it is pretty bad. I find myself looking down towards the front fender so i dont throw up.

Really? As a former amateur MX rider that raced at Washougal for over a decade I thought the implementation of the motorcycle POV was spot on. Now I'd say the physics are a bit wonky compared to any of the motocross games but overall I'm real happy with the way they work. Very fun to ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You raced Washougal hah, that is a tough track, atleast when I raced it, get some big air there on the doubles and hill jumps.  10 years?  Your not a Pro? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

You raced Washougal hah, that is a tough track, atleast when I raced it, get some big air there on the doubles and hill jumps.  10 years?  Your not a Pro? :)

I had an AMA amateur number and made it to Intermediate level (right below Pro) but like a lot of my friends I only rode for casual recreation. I could however clear the Chuck Sun, triple/double the Hillsboro 5 (Mike Healy the only Pro in a National to Quad/Single them) and stutter the whoops though. Sadly, 3 concussions, broke the same collarbone twice and numerous other injuries ended my MX adrenaline junkie high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to be amature, intermediate, expert, then Pro.  I made it to Pro but only had a few races as Pro, but I got the Dakar dream now.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The POV itself is good, but the FOV isn't. It'd be great if we could customize our field of view for
- vehicle driver
- vehicle gunner
- infantry
- infantry aiming

That way everyone could get the experience they want(within the current 90 to 120 degrees ofcourse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the audio of the motorcycle got tweaked in the last patch as well. Sounds very realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, dang, I didn't know we had so many motorcycle badasses around here. Didn't even know about Washougal's track! Time for a side trip on the next Portland visit.

 

Curious, when you say the POV is spot on, what details are you looking for compared to the real thing? 

 

(I promise we'll do our best not to fracture any collarbones. Ugh.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peerun said:

The POV itself is good, but the FOV isn't. It'd be great if we could customize our field of view for
- vehicle driver
- vehicle gunner
- infantry
- infantry aiming

That way everyone could get the experience they want(within the current 90 to 120 degrees ofcourse)

I'd agree with that, it does feel like having blinders on. 

 

I also find the binary steering system we currently have with vehicles feels the oddest with motorcycles, I hope we'll see refinement in the future. ARMA's system of both keyboard and mouse works well at a minimum to allow smooth, incremental turning. As well as support for other peripherals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LugNut said:

 

 

I also find the binary steering system we currently have with vehicles feels the oddest with motorcycles, I hope we'll see refinement in the future. ARMA's system of both keyboard and mouse works well at a minimum to allow smooth, incremental turning. As well as support for other peripherals. 

 

As did JO. Keys were only used for sharp turning (corners) - was a very intuative and controllable way to drive/fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

 

As did JO. Keys were only used for sharp turning (corners) - was a very intuative and controllable way to drive/fly.

If you mean Joint Operations as in Delta Force those motorcycles were hilarious with the amount of air you could catch and then they would flip, catch fire and blow up hah hah... Delta Force Xtreme 2 had awesome vehicles too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback on my vehicles. Writing an implementation like motocross games have it is outside of the scope of this game so I chose to do something much more simple that is still fun.

I like the idea of setting separate FOVs for when you drive a vehicle. Personally I want more FOV on the bike as well. I also experimented with increasing the FOV at higher speeds but it didn't fully convince me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norby said:

Thanks for the feedback on my vehicles. Writing an implementation like motocross games have it is outside of the scope of this game so I chose to do something much more simple that is still fun.

I like the idea of setting separate FOVs for when you drive a vehicle. Personally I want more FOV on the bike as well. I also experimented with increasing the FOV at higher speeds but it didn't fully convince me.

I personally love the bikes. Maybe put the handle bars into view a tad? Even looking straight out you would have some sort of peripheral vision of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me motorbikes would be fine if the view point had some slight stabilisation to it. Nothing too dramatic, just a slight counteraction of the view bob every time the bike takes a corner or goes over a hump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

POV should be moved back away from handle bars and slightly down.  Also, motorcycles feel too light and traction like there's slick pavement below the tires no matter where you drive, even while on sand.  And I second Stom's input:

31 minutes ago, Stom said:

For me motorbikes would be fine if the view point had some slight stabilisation to it. Nothing too dramatic, just a slight counteraction of the view bob every time the bike takes a corner or goes over a hump.

 

Edited by Bash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washougal-2016_National-Schedule.jpg

 

2016-Washougal-Eli-Tomac-B-07-23-2016.jp

74cc6211-009a-45d3-bd34-53f14cbe1f12.jpe

Washougal-Motocross-Track_6e51963d-5056-

54992_Track_US_MX_Washougal_2011_123_102

Washougal is a national race track, there is some fine racing going on there.... you really should go if you like flying dirt and bikes! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2017 at 10:09 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

If you mean Joint Operations as in Delta Force those motorcycles were hilarious with the amount of air you could catch and then they would flip, catch fire and blow up hah hah... Delta Force Xtreme 2 had awesome vehicles too.

Yeah they were awesome and the Air was nuts, but they also cought fire if you didn't land them properly. i made a map called CarWarsArena that was purely ramps, jumps etc., made a vid of my clan mucking about on it but had to take it down coz copyright on music i'd used. i might replace the music with something else and repost it. the bigger the jump, the more times you could backflip(rotate) the bike.

Edited by LaughingJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now