Team scrambling at the end of a round  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer if teams were scrambled at the end of every round?

• Yes, I think the upsides outweigh the downsides.
    • No, I think that the downsides are too large
    • Admins should be able to do scramble teams at their discretion/Server vote mechanism

Hi,

Before I start, a little bit about me: I am not that active on these forums but I have been playing PR and Squad for a long time (since around PR 0.6) and bought squad on day 1 because I love the game. I searched the forums for this topic but could not find any recent entries.

However, as time goes on I find myself wishing that there was an option for servers to scramble teams at the end of a round. This is because sometimes the skill gap/coordination gap between teams can get really out of whack to the point that a team can lose for 3-4 rounds straight quite handily.

I must say that in my experience, after 3-4 stomps one of three things happens:

- The server empties out gradually

- I leave because I'm done with it

- The problem actually fixes itself!

These three things happen in roughly equal proportions. Now, it is my strong opinion that it is a suboptimal outcome to have persistent imbalance. Let me demonstrate with an example. Earlier today, I joined a server the the start of a round (that's when slots opened up). Immediately you can tell whether you've been put on a team that's getting stomped because the player imbalance at the beginning of a round can be north of 10 players as people that lose are more likely to quit. I took one look at the teams and the people and I knew immediately that this round was going to end badly for my team, so I just left and did something else.

To test if I was right, I rejoined the server approximately 30 minutes later. Sure enough, the team that I was initially put on had been pushed back all the way to its mainbase and was in a hopeless situation with around 140 tickets left. Now, some may criticise me and say "well why didn't you lead a squad? why are you whining instead of making a difference?"

I squad lead about a third of the time that I am playing depending on whether or not I am confident I will stay the whole round and what my mood is. I think that's more than most people. You can still argue that I have "a responsibility." However, I'd argue that there is a good fix for this problem: Allow servers to enable team scrambling at the end of every round.

I always thought this was already an option and servers just didn't use it. I recently learned that this was not an option at all. I strongly believe that server owners should have this option as every round would be a true "fresh start" and that would make the game better. I must say that this problem is exacerbated during a steam sale, but it is present on regular days as well.

I know there are downsides. Here are a few:

- Clan squads will have a tougher time playing with their friends

- Some "team rivalry" or the attitude of "we'll get em next time" will suffer

To me, those tradeoffs are worth it. I firmly believe that servers with such an option enabled will see more close games  on average than servers without this option. If you are a clan player, I wish I had something better to say to you than "sorry pal, this is gonna screw your squad up," but I'm afraid that's the way the cookie crumbles. At the very least, servers should have this as an option.

What does this forum think? Do you agree with me that this is a problem and a phenomenon you've seen occur? Do you agree with the proposed solution?

Edited by Randy Newman

I voted no but then read the detail.

I am happy with a vote to scramble teams if the score is crazy one sided only, let the people decide.

6 minutes ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I voted no but then read the detail.

I am happy with a vote to scramble teams if the score is crazy one sided only, let the people decide.

This is a good middle ground. Perhaps the admin should be able to do it at his discretion or there should be a voting mechanism. Currently, no server option exists to do it at the end of every round and there is no way for an admin to do it at will. Some mechanism should exist, that's all I'm saying.

To be honest, I think that this is far and away the biggest problem with Squad at the moment, atleast from my perspective.

I added that as an option. I am still of the opinion that the teams should be scrambled every round, but I will be happy with any improvement over the status quo and some mechanism beats no mechanism any day in my book.

Edited by Randy Newman

10 minutes ago, Randy Newman said:

I am still of the opinion that the teams should be scrambled every round,

I see your point but this would be a disaster for Squad teamwork.

There's something about playing 2/3 rounds with the same guys that's important.

If your losing 4 in a row, identify problem SLs and don't join their squad. Hell, call them out on it. Some people like to take 9 guys on a troll mission, and kick people with rational thought for giggles.

Generally the squads with the highest kills and deaths are the ones doing the most work. The point system is irrelevant.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

I'll support scrambling if it's the Squads themselves that get scrambled, so, entire squads gets switched to the other side. I think most people like to try and stay with the same squadmates once they find a good group and care much less about which side they are on. 

I'd only support scrambling if I had some way to keep my few friends on the same team as me with some party system.

Scramble the parties, no big deal. I don't want to have to jump teams to get to my friends again.

On 27. 6. 2017 at 4:29 PM, CageMatchKimsey said:

OWI servers, of course auto scramble.  Community/Clan servers, let the admins decide.

What OWI servers?

On 6/29/2017 at 4:05 PM, Peerun said:

What OWI servers?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

Anyway, please no nanny state team scrambling.

I basically expected this response from the forum as I think people who play with friends are over represented here and so obviously those people are going to have issues with their friends getting scrambled.

Team scrambling was always a reality in BF games and even PR servers had it. It's hardly a nanny-state- it was and is the natural state of affairs in most online FPS games. I prefer close games. Team scrambling is a way to get more close games. If someone can refute this, I'd be interested to hear the case.

To me, that alone makes any cost worthwhile. But then again, I am a public player and put close to 0 value to "playing with friends" so I recognise the concerns others might have.

I guess having an admin do it at their discretion is the best option- after all it is their server. However, team scrambling has been the default for so long for good reason. Currently, as far as I am aware, no option exists for admins to team scramble. For me, this is an urgent necessity. I should not be able to tell "who's going to win" after a 30 second glance at the teams at the beginning of a round. This happens far too often for my tastes.

On 28/06/2017 at 5:05 PM, LugNut said:

I'll support scrambling if it's the Squads themselves that get scrambled, so, entire squads gets switched to the other side. I think most people like to try and stay with the same squadmates once they find a good group and care much less about which side they are on. 

This is a valved point there should be a system that allows members to vote and if its scramed you change to squads over so the best too are swapped and then and one who wants to swap can so your on a list an u pick a side all member could then talk for 2 mins while they have a chance to chance this could be sorted by admibs as they change say alapga and bravo usa to insurgets and and echo and detla insurgets to usa !

At the end of the day the idea is to have a fun teamworkibg and a challenge you don't want to win 4 games in a row with say 200 tickets left its not a challenge then for the winning team and theyight like a change the admin could decide how many people swap sides at random based on the number you enter on so in a server of 60 people I entered 58 he's pick a number and I'd swap  teams and he'd pick 9 or 18 etc of that squad so if I'm 58 in that server and my sqiaf had nine in they would change too and hef only have to pick one more number

1 hour ago, Dls Samuel said:

At the end of the day the idea is to have a fun teamworkibg and a challenge you don't want to win 4 games in a row with say 200 tickets left its not a challenge then for the winning team and theyight like a change the admin could decide how many people swap sides at random based on the number you enter on so in a server of 60 people I entered 58 he's pick a number and I'd swap  teams and he'd pick 9 or 18 etc of that squad so if I'm 58 in that server and my sqiaf had nine in they would change too and hef only have to pick one more number

I need to inform you that the words of your post got scrambled.

Are you talking about a PIN system, where if you don't put in a PIN(a 4-digit number) you get scrambled and if you do - you get put on the same team, as other people who put in the same PIN?

Edited by Peerun

2 hours ago, Peerun said:

I need to inform you that the words of your post got scrambled.

Are you talking about a PIN system, where if you don't put in a PIN(a 4-digit number) you get scrambled and if you do - you get put on the same team, as other people who put in the same PIN?

No the severs have a limited number if people in like 80 for the server so if I'm last in so my number for that server atbthat time would be 80 yes 

Then the admin would chosen say 80 and who ever was in my squad plus me would be swao sides so te admin whonpick to random number if one team and swap those I team b and trn pick two numbers pkus there swuaad mates to team à eaualling 36 swaps 2 squads on each team would swap sides