Not_Tactical

[Solved] Some maps run horribly... is this optimization?

So I got Squad yesterday and started playing it but I've noticed some really unusual framerate problems that I didn't experience on the free weekend.

Several maps ran great. Kokan and all the other afghan themed maps, not to mention the forested map (with the "Castle" objective) ran great, but with some slight stuttering and framerate drops when I looked around too quickly.

However a lot of maps, almost all of the eastern European maps, run like ass. And I mean some seriously confusing turbo ass. Like 2 FPS ass. And this always occurs when I move my character's head around, so it seems to have something to do with loading new assets. I tried rolling back my 3D card driver and turned off SLi, but no beans.

For reference my hardware stats are...

Windows 8.1

Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 cores

2 GeForce 970s on SLi

16 gigs of ram

Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I alone? Why did this start now? Should I just wait for the next update?

Squad, in general, doesn't run well, as it's built on Unreal Engine 4. Bear with it as it gets optimization patches (the largest will be V10, with the new animations) as well as smaller patches like an upcoming hotfix that might bring some optimization. Unreal Engine is just a crappy engine.

UE4 doesn't do sli support very well yet so you're effectively using one 970. The engine also doesn't do multithreading very well either so is more reliant on a single core. You might consider overclocking your i5 to help gain some fps.

Hello and welcome back to Squad @Not_Tactical,

5 hours ago, Not_Tactical said:

So I got Squad yesterday [...]

[...] framerate problems that I didn't experience on the free weekend.

It might be that you uninstalled Squad after the free weekend. But did you also manually delete the %localappdata%\Squad folder? - It contains the config/ini files.

I'd say the first step in troubleshooting is to delete the appdata folder:

https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002768887-How-to-manually-clear-your-user-settings-cache

give it a try and report back.

1 hour ago, beginna said:

It might be that you uninstalled Squad after the free weekend. But did you also manually delete the %localappdata%\Squad folder? - It contains the config/ini files.

https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002768887-How-to-manually-clear-your-user-settings-cache

This above, and ensure full texture loading in graphics settings is off as you may be running out of VRAM with 3.5GB useable on the 970.

22 hours ago, beginna said:

Gave a quick test a moment ago following the clear cache advice. One map actually ran and another map didn't have a look stutter anymore. However I'll report after I've had an extended play period to see if it's totally fixed. Thank you so much so far!

On 26.6.2017 at 8:23 AM, Not_Tactical said:

I'll report after I've had an extended play period to see if it's totally fixed.

so, did it work out?

On 7/1/2017 at 6:08 AM, beginna said:

so, did it work out?

Sorry for the late response! Been busy with work, school and uh, playing Squad.

This is because it's fixed! Has been running amazing, no nasty stutters and great framerates on all maps. Please include this on the faq or some such, this was an easy fix for a really severe problem. Thanks again for the close attention and the follow up question!

5 hours ago, Not_Tactical said:

[...] it's fixed! Has been running amazing, no nasty stutters and great framerates on all maps. [...]

Glad to hear.
Have fun in Squad.

/locked