Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAvocado

Can we get a character template for modding?

It would really help modders (like me) to have a character template and maybe a set of gear to use as reference. Is this possible?

Bonus question: Will different classes be able to have different appearances?

Also interested in what'll be included in the DK, but i also realize it's probably reeeeeeeeeeeeeally early to be talking about the DK.

Also interested in what'll be included in the DK, but i also realize it's probably reeeeeeeeeeeeeally early to be talking about the DK.

What's a DK? Yeah i know, but the earlier we can start making content the more stuff will be ready to go shortly after launch.

What's a DK? Yeah i know, but the earlier we can start making content the more stuff will be ready to go shortly after launch.

Development Kit.

Squad's probably going to finish development in early 2017, there is no hope. Only the wait xD 

its VVEEEEERRRRRYYYY early to be asking.. so early I can possibly answer you.

I see, well in spite of being early it seems reasonable to at least ask for basic guidelines, although i understand that both character models and class systems may change during development.

I see, well in spite of being early it seems reasonable to at least ask for basic guidelines, although i understand that both character models and class systems may change during development.

ill go out on a limb here and wager its probably not very reasonable. its that early.

ill go out on a limb here and wager its probably not very reasonable. its that early.

Well unless the character models are missing arms or legs i don't see how dropboxing a mesh would be that much of a hassle.

Well unless the character models are missing arms or legs i don't see how dropboxing a mesh would be that much of a hassle.

free look is being looked into by the dev team.

It is in fact so early that all of our current character models will be completely replaced, so any info we give you is 100% worthless in a matter of months.

It is in fact so early that all of our current character models will be completely replaced, so any info we give you is 100% worthless in a matter of months.

Why thank you, what a valuable piece of information. That explains a lot more than that it "simply is too early".

Regarding class appearance, is this something you can answer or is it undecided?

Forgive the question-barrage but i'm just trying to figure out what kind of stuff i can work on.

Squad's probably going to finish development in early 2017, there is no hope. Only the wait xD 

Noooo,don't say that *cries* I want it to last forever... :(

No harm asking mate!! Hopefully you'll be a future Mod...

Noooo,don't say that *cries* I want it to last forever... :(

No harm asking mate!! Hopefully you'll be a future Mod...

Someone has to fight the good fight, hopefully i wont turn into a mod though.

Cheers!

Someone has to fight the good fight, hopefully i wont turn into a mod though.

Cheers!

"Ouch," says MURay.

Sorry, it's a bit too early for that.  You won't likely see any mod tools from us until next year.  Things are going to move really fast in the next 6 months and we don't want modders creating stuff that we are ultimately going to break.  

If you want a character template, learn a little about anatomy of guys who are 6 feet tall and take it from there. That was the height of the BF2 player models compared to the world. The problem will be the rigging too.

If you want a character template, learn a little about anatomy of guys who are 6 feet tall and take it from there. That was the height of the BF2 player models compared to the world. The problem will be the rigging too.

Well having 3d modeled and textured for several years i know the basic anatomy of human males. The problem is stretching textures when rescaling the equipment down the line.

True, rigging is the greatest enemy of any modder.

Well having 3d modeled and textured for several years i know the basic anatomy of human males. The problem is stretching textures when rescaling the equipment down the line.

True, rigging is the greatest enemy of any modder.

Yeah, I don't know enough  about game rigging. The'll probably have a rig for each faction. I just think that if you take a screenshot, like find a good one that isn't too distorted with the proportions of the current player models in game and just go from there. Human movement is always the same and certain areas need more UV space, but people seem really eager, so that's what I'd suggest and work out the smaller bugs once you have the rig. At the very least, it'll be more practice.