ctbear

Are there any bot mods yet?

72 posts in this topic

*Skul 

No its 2017 and we have the tech and software to run the utopic arma 3 dream in Squad, that would be so insanely epic. 

"Nowadays most of the people have internet access." ..............

It's ok you think they are unnecessary and are scared that it will pull people away from PvP gameplay, but not really a valid reason to put blindes on and avoid an entire market.

2 hours ago, Skul said:

probably would only waste time of developers, which could use this time better to fix performance issues

Can we just take a moment and appreciate Skul's apparent inability to read whatever he's replying to?

If for nothing else, bots could be useful in the firing range, at minimum. This could allow the firing range to actually be used as a training ground for new players to learn mechanics. Would require some rework, but could definitely translate to better experiences in multiplayer for new comers and ease the acclimation period.

Maybe envision real character target areas by faction as well vs. wood/metal targets, so new players can distinguish foe to limit tks as a new player. It can be a tool to help grow an informed community, self sufficient.

I have to admid id ´like to see a Bot Mod also , call me carebear unsocial whatever i don´t care :-p

8 hours ago, ctbear said:

Is someone making it or nobody has tried? 

You can go ahead and start programming it if you've got the time, energy & skills. All the assets are in the Unreal Editor. I dropped in an Insurgent the other evening and was looking at his parameters. Doesn't look that overly complicated assigning him a weapon. I think you'd have to program/buy the AI though as I couldn't find how that works. Moderators maybe move this thread to Mods section?

9 hours ago, Voice said:

No its 2017 and we have the tech and software to run the utopic arma 3 dream in Squad, that would be so insanely epic.

What do you mean? We have Battlefield 2 dream in Squad, not ArmA. ArmA is a milsim, Squad is an arcade, competitive, hardcore teamplay-oriented video game, which has nothing to do with military simulation and realism.

Can modders make ArmA from Squad in Editor? Sure. But something like that would split community, which isn't a good thing.

9 hours ago, Voice said:

It's ok you think they are unnecessary and are scared that it will pull people away from PvP gameplay, but not really a valid reason to put blindes on and avoid an entire market.

That's just ridiculous. Only people without internet access will play with bots. Everyone with stable internet access will play with and against people. Sure there will be exceptions, but 99.5% or something will play on the internet. There were bots in Battlefield 2. People are still playing Battlefield 2 online 13 years after its release. Same with CS 1.6 and CS:GO and many other games.

Well, I just think it isn't worth time to make bots for Squad but maybe modders will disagree and make it happen. I don't think OWI will even consider to make bots for Squad in 2017, blossoming era of the internet.

Let's see, Battlefield 2 is a multiple-only game. It have bots on three different levels: Easy, intermediate and Hard.

Project Reality, a mod of BF2, is big, open, multiplayer-only game. It also have bots as well, since it based on BF2.

Squad, spiritual successor of Project Reality, is big, open, multiplayer-only game. It doesn't have any bots to train the new players how the guns work in the fields.

Every multiplayer-only games have bots, regardless if it's worth dev's time or not @Skul, for example, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, CS:GO and CoD, all of them use bots.

My opinion: Squad need bots.

Edited by Dennisz125

2 hours ago, Skul said:

That's just ridiculous. Only people without internet access will play with bots. Everyone with stable internet access will play with and against people. 

It's not true, I have a stable internet, yet I use bots for CS:GO. If they don't have internet, they can use LAN to fight against each other.

Alien invasion bots with superior weapons.....or attack of the giant dinosaurs or  puff man from Ghost Busters!

Stay-Puft-Marshmallow-Man-Attacks-New-Yo

I don't think 'Squad Bot's' would sell many more copies of the game,

But I do think they would be used by a reasonable number of players. For example, for several month's myself and Squad clan friends played Insurgency against Bots (after several rounds of Squad) and it was real fun. 

Bots could provide a useful training ground for new players, and if the map/levels offer a consistent experience with a range of difficulties then there could be genuine training opportunities for clans to use.

If i was the dev's would I bother, no way. But I do hope some of our modders have a go and do an amazing job of it.

*Skul 

You go play or watch videos of arma 3 milsim and tell me if it looks or sounds anyway near as good as squad, i my self couldn't play or watch arma 3 after squad came out. The action is just so much more intense.

*SHO

Don't you think clans would switch over to squad or partly over to squad if bots and mods were more common?, there are a few vehicle for each faction that people can work with and the fob system is so damn smooth when building assets.

Thinking back to my old arma 3 clan we almost only used vehicles that are in Squad besides our littlebird and bradly, ofc we also used Zeus but i guess i could be made in a fashion alike to Arma 3 Zeus.

15 hours ago, Skul said:

What do you mean? We have Battlefield 2 dream in Squad, not ArmA. ArmA is a milsim, Squad is an arcade, competitive, hardcore teamplay-oriented video game, which has nothing to do with military simulation and realism.

Can modders make ArmA from Squad in Editor? Sure. But something like that would split community, which isn't a good thing.

That's just ridiculous. Only people without internet access will play with bots. Everyone with stable internet access will play with and against people. Sure there will be exceptions, but 99.5% or something will play on the internet. There were bots in Battlefield 2. People are still playing Battlefield 2 online 13 years after its release. Same with CS 1.6 and CS:GO and many other games.

Well, I just think it isn't worth time to make bots for Squad but maybe modders will disagree and make it happen. I don't think OWI will even consider to make bots for Squad in 2017, blossoming era of the internet.

You are pretty ignorant. I know of a lot of people that have a stable internet connection that would play against bots quite often. It can allow people to create co-op missions or to practice their shot on moving targets in such in-game. I don't think you are looking at the big picture.

13 hours ago, Dennisz125 said:

Let's see, Battlefield 2 is a multiple-only game. It have bots on three different levels: Easy, intermediate and Hard.

Project Reality, a mod of BF2, is big, open, multiplayer-only game. It also have bots as well, since it based on BF2.

Squad, spiritual successor of Project Reality, is big, open, multiplayer-only game. It doesn't have any bots to train the new players how the guns work in the fields.

Every multiplayer-only games have bots, regardless if it's worth dev's time or not @Skul, for example, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, CS:GO and CoD, all of them use bots.

My opinion: Squad need bots.

Everyone should think this. 

55 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Everyone should think this. 

Easy there Mr. Hitler.
My point about Skul's comment was only that the thread title mentions the word mod in the title and Skul was suggesting that OWI would be wasting time developing it, when that was never the question. And I would agree with that - if it was the question.
So I'm not quite sure who's more ignorant right now.

2 hours ago, Voice said:

Don't you think clans would switch over to squad or partly over to squad if bots and mods were more common?, there are a few vehicle for each faction that people can work with and the fob system is so damn smooth when building assets.

Some would for sure, but the scale of AI and associated tools (like zeus) would far outweigh the gain IMO.

Squad is not Arma, and IMO for good reason.

But I am sure our modders will put some very interesting things together.

For me, Squad AI missions start and finish with a few training simulations and perhaps a few consistent co-op missions (like defend the camp, attack the camp, patrol here to here, destroy the cache etc). Those would be great to see.

Something like Zeus on Arma would be great for Squad if anyone makes decent AI.

13 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

Some would for sure, but the scale of AI and associated tools (like zeus) would far outweigh the gain IMO.

Squad is not Arma, and IMO for good reason.

But I am sure our modders will put some very interesting things together.

For me, Squad AI missions start and finish with a few training simulations and perhaps a few consistent co-op missions (like defend the camp, attack the camp, patrol here to here, destroy the cache etc). Those would be great to see.

Well, if you want come from 'training' point of view, I agree. Squad need ~10 hours training course to actually explain people how to play(l2p them) this game. Currently 95% of people are completely clueless and more important they are ignorant and arrogant at the same time: they think they know everything about this game and they know it better than most of other people(I'd say they think they're the best at this game), when in fact they don't really know anything about this game and play the game in the wrong way. How wrong? If it was a table tennis game IRL, they would be breaking windows using their heads in the building next door, instead of hitting a ball with their rockets, like table tennis players are supposed to play the game...

Edited by Skul

I wouldn't mind seeing a coop based A&S mode against bots that already have all the points. Good training for clans as well. Wouldn't mind it reversed either where you have to dig in and defend.

8 hours ago, Skul said:

Currently 95% of people are completely clueless

Thats a bit extreme Skul, but your point has validity.

The vast majority of our community do not know the basics of the game. The situation has gotten better over time. I fairly regularly jump into a random server, into a random Squad and am happy maybe 1 in 4 rounds with the basics of game knowledge, communication and team work. (It's at least functional, and sometimes fantastic).

Go back 6 months that was 1 in 8 rounds. I rage quit alot in public Squads and servers.

I think it boils down to attitude and motivation for playing. Squad demands an open mind to change how you play nearly any other game, it's a very unique FPS experience. Many it would seem just won't ever do that. 

Of course it changes dramatically for the better in relation to playing with clans. But there's still a whole lot of improvement there, it amazes me how people are willing to invest their time but not adapt to the basic core mechanics of Squad (to win), so I guess it's back to why many are motivated to play Squad.

Recently through a friend into PUBG for the first time. They're not a vidja gamer, so it was utterly fascinating to watch them try to adapt to the interface. None of it made sense to them: the minimap was more of a distraction, the objective markers were just lines, and what did all those circles mean? Who the heck knows.

I sat there completely stumped for a bit. How could someone not know that the objective was just... King of the Hill? Random loot drops don't make sense to them, what?! But yeah, turns out, we have a crap ton of preloaded knowledge about games. (There are some arguments about UX in there too...) Made me think: How do you get someone that doesn't have the depth of tropes ready to play? Especially if they don't even know that clans and organized play exist.

Easier here, 'cause I could explain one on one with object lessons. Squad is a special beast, but I think I've been able to make some headway by comparing it to D&D groups -- communication is key. What's working for you folks?

Lerning by doing ,make mistakes, stumble over some acidantial good working things and realize it`s intendet and gets rewarded.

Thats also a the reason why i´d like to see a Bot modification, it would offer a oportunity to learn and make mistakes try out new things without stress to your self cause expierienced ppl yell and not stress to the advanced player that have to be paitience with another noob.

But i bet someone will at least make a zombie mode like in evry game so we get at least moving cannon fooder mod xD

Also bot mod is just fine when you want are a quick 30 min firefight before go to sleep player.

why anyone would choose to fight bots when there are real players available is just so mysterious to me.

i hope no-one wastes any time on making bots. make a map or 2 instead.

6 hours ago, suds said:

why anyone would choose to fight bots when there are real players available is just so mysterious to me.

i hope no-one wastes any time on making bots. make a map or 2 instead.

I will use CS:GO as a example. Why do you think there are tons of bots for both official and custom made maps?

They're there to help the players to learn how guns works and train their aim in a control environment. The bots, whatever they're good or not, are there to preserve the game, if online community is no longer exist anymore.

44 minutes ago, Dennisz125 said:

I will use CS:GO as a example. Why do you think there are tons of bots for both official and custom made maps?

They're there to help the players to learn how guns works and train their aim in a control environment. The bots, whatever they're good or not, are there to preserve the game, if online community is no longer exist anymore.

1) bots train for reaction timing, not play style
2) Use Jensen's firing range instead

Edited by Bash