Onix

8 GB ram not enough?

I purchased squad few days ago, single player and 2 multiplayer maps were running okay (around 60 fps) then the next map came and it was unplayable. Horrible stuttering and fps drops (also got the message that windows is running out of memory), and in MSI afterburner ram usage was 8/8 gb ram. So i refunded it but meanwhile i realised that i didnt have the lastest gpu driver installed (I had 2nd latest). Could it be that the driver was my issue? Or is the 8gb ram issue? Thinking of buying it again since its on a summer sale! :P

*edit* after the 2nd laggy map, the stuttering continued even on a different server and different maps.
PC specs- rx 580 4gb, 8gb ram, i5 4460

thanks in advance!

Edited by Onix

2 hours ago, Onix said:

PC specs- rx 580 4gb, 8gb ram, i5 4460

Mine is RX 480 4gb, 8gb ram, and an i5-6500.

MSI told me I was using anywhere from 6-7 gigs of ram, and I was experiencing some small stutters. Most maps only take up 6 gigs, and I do well at 40-50 FPS. I'm sitting on the latest RX 480 drivers as well. Optimizations are coming, I think it's worth it to buy the game and wait for those.

I've never had an issue running 8gb on one of my systems.

Not directly Squad related, but having recently upgraded from 8 gigs, I can definitely tell you my system was hitting the limit there. Win10, i5 2500k (iirc), 8 gigs. Mostly winrot slowdowns, but holy crap, even the thumbnails on videos are snappy now. 

I am also that jerk that has 60 tabs open all the time, so ymmv, heh.

I wasnt running any program in the background (chrome, skype etc.) Also was thinking of uprading to 2x 8GB ram but no cash atm QQ. Anyway I bought it again. Really hoping its playable or a fix comes soon. :( 

Problem started since v9 version. There is only one solution with people who have 8GB RAM - restart the game after every map.

What is funny, 6GB is in recommended specs on Steam ;)

For everyone who has issues with 8GB RAM and Squad: can you post a screenshot of your pagefile configuration here please?

Thanks.

The point for asking is: there is a known bug in the engine code which causes memory leaks. This shall be fixed within the next version Squad is going to upgrade to - UE4.16.

For now just make sure, that you have a pagefile configured and the size of it is at least 16GB (for 8GB RAM). You can configure it dynamically (with min. and max. values) or you select "System managed size". This should prevent you from restarting the game after every map.

8gb ddr4- rx 480- i3 6100 = runs perfectly fine at 1080

Edited by _randombullet

13 hours ago, Onix said:

How does the game run for you? @_randombullet im always in the mid 40s in a full server 

Im at anywhere between mid 40s to mid 50s depending