Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodionivanov

No foosteps sound

Hello. Love your game. Good job. But plz fix the sound of footsteps. When playing on speakers - forget about it you just dont hear it at all. The guy would be literally 5 feet away and you couldnt hear him. With headphones i noticed you can hear the footsteps but not in all situations when a lot of other sounds are present like an intense firefight. The footstep sounds wont trigger. Its not that you should not be able to hear it, but it seems it doesnt trigger at all. THX

PLZ do smth about it.

Posted (edited)

While I can hear footsteps, I'll request that they (and the sounds from a soldiers gear etc) are made louder.  It is sometimes hard to hear this...as it seems lower then expected...IMHO...and hard to hear someone running in your building trying to find you for example. 

Edited by Overwatch

2 hours ago, Overwatch said:

While I can hear footsteps, I'll request that they (and the sounds from a soldiers gear etc) is made louder.

I don't think you should be able to hear footsteps under M4, AK and HMG bullet spam.

2 hours ago, Overwatch said:

It is sometimes hard to hear this...as it seems lower then expected...IMHO...and hard to hear someone running in your building trying to find you for example. 

I can hear it just fine.

Sound system is pretty good in Squad atm. Better than it was in CSGO 5 years after release or Battlefield 3 5 years after release, for example.

4 hours ago, Rodionivanov said:

When playing on speakers - forget about it you just dont hear it at all. The guy would be literally 5 feet away and you couldnt hear him.

You don't hear footsteps on your loudspeakers because video games aren't meant to be played on loudspeakers. Footsteps are very quite compared to shots in Squad, just as in real life. In real life shots are very uncomfortably loud to the level that they can hurt your hearing. In Squad there is a very big difference in loudness of sounds as well. The reason you don't hear footsteps on your loudspeakers is because you turned your volume down so much that even HMG shots are very comfortable to listen to. With this volume you shouldn't hear any footsteps whatsoever. Imagine if HMG spam was comfortable to hear for you IRL - you wouldn't hear any footsteps IRL either.

But yeah, they could probably make less difference between sounds of shots and other more common sounds...

On 2017-06-19 at 6:19 AM, Skul said:

You don't hear footsteps on your loudspeakers because video games aren't meant to be played on loudspeakers. Footsteps are very quite compared to shots in Squad, just as in real life. In real life shots are very uncomfortably loud to the level that they can hurt your hearing. In Squad there is a very big difference in loudness of sounds as well. The reason you don't hear footsteps on your loudspeakers is because you turned your volume down so much that even HMG shots are very comfortable to listen to. With this volume you shouldn't hear any footsteps whatsoever. Imagine if HMG spam was comfortable to hear for you IRL - you wouldn't hear any footsteps IRL either.

But yeah, they could probably make less difference between sounds of shots and other more common sounds...

This guy got it right. :) No I won't increase the initial footstep sounds. 
The main thought of all this is to maintain the quality of very low freq sounds and at the same time make the powerful and loud. That goes to massive explosion sounds and also gunfire sounds. If there would be an even balance between exp, gunfire, ambient sounds and character sounds, it would sound very very unrealistic plus it would result in me cranking up the volume of the weapon and exp sounds cause people would say, they're too silent and it would cause these sounds to break.
Therefore I've found the absolute correct balance between sounds. Wich is very very uncommon in games. But I would say. Enjoy it as this beeing the first.

This game is meant to be played with headphones, not because of the faint sounds, but because of sound direction in space. Many times I was able to react to enemy flanking me because of sound direction, which speakers won't convey with the same efficiency.

Enviado de meu XT1563 usando Tapatalk

2 hours ago, anders said:

The main thought of all this is to maintain the quality of very low freq sounds and at the same time make the powerful and loud. That goes to massive explosion sounds and also gunfire sounds. If there would be an even balance between exp, gunfire, ambient sounds and character sounds, it would sound very very unrealistic plus it would result in me cranking up the volume of the weapon and exp sounds cause people would say, they're too silent and it would cause these sounds to break.
Therefore I've found the absolute correct balance between sounds. Wich is very very uncommon in games. But I would say. Enjoy it as this beeing the first.

But with this approach people use EQ to lower gunfire and make footsteps louder, getting a cheap advantage over others. It also causes most to turn the volume down because noone wants hearing loss and therefore they don't hear footsteps.

4 hours ago, anders said:

Interesting. I did however notice that some factions are not using the new sprinting sounds- and they should be. I can't remember them off the top of my head.

On this subject, though, insurgents and possibly militia should not have the louder, equipment jangly sprinting sounds since they carry a lot less gear in compared to conventional forces. This would also help them in flanking.

I'd like to eventually hear role specific movement noises too, like the machinegun belt/extra magazines of an auto-rifleman jingling, the clunking of the AT's RPGs knocking against each other/LAW knocking around from the backpack, and the Squad Leader's radio wires hitting against clothing or sound of them whipping around in the air.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:20 PM, Rodionivanov said:

With headphones i noticed you can hear the footsteps but not in all situations when a lot of other sounds are present like an intense firefight.

So just to be clear in real life you've got multiple small arms fire in your proximity which is probably over 100 decibels and you actually think that footsteps should be louder? That sounds like a TF2 mod you should make for the Heavy called "Uberboots" instead of Squad.

7 hours ago, Rodionivanov said:

just died to a guy flanking me from 5-10 feet away , no sound. this goddamn shit is annoying.

The general consensus here is that the footstep audio files are correctly balanced. Therefore we can only come to the conclusion that the trouble is on your end with the level sliders in the audio settings combined with inferior headphones. 

I got very decent headphones and level of volume is pretty much on high. Like i said the sound wont trigger in many circumstances. Do you understand would not TRIGGER. It wont initiate. The sound guy you reading this . I keep noticing it again and again . Over 400 hours in this game.

Edited by Rodionivanov

On 21/06/2017 at 5:43 PM, Catindabox said:

Interesting. I did however notice that some factions are not using the new sprinting sounds- and they should be. I can't remember them off the top of my head.

On this subject, though, insurgents and possibly militia should not have the louder, equipment jangly sprinting sounds since they carry a lot less gear in compared to conventional forces. This would also help them in flanking.

I'd like to eventually hear role specific movement noises too, like the machinegun belt/extra magazines of an auto-rifleman jingling, the clunking of the AT's RPGs knocking against each other/LAW knocking around from the backpack, and the Squad Leader's radio wires hitting against clothing or sound of them whipping around in the air.

Even now if you want to play with 80 people on the server, with appropriate tick rate on the server at least above 30, you need 7700k overclocked up to ~5 gHz. You add little details like you describe when you already implemented everything you needed and wanted, but you still have plenty of resources left to spend.

OWI don't have any free resources to spend. In fact, they already added too many things without optimizing them. That's why most of people play at very low FPS unless they have Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU and GTX970+.

29 minutes ago, Rodionivanov said:

I got very decent headphones and level of volume is pretty much on high. Like i said the sound wont trigger in many circumstances. Do you understand would not TRIGGER. It wont initiate. The sound guy you reading this . I keep noticing it again and again . Over 400 hours in this game.

Can you hear your own footsteps?

14 hours ago, Rodionivanov said:

just died to a guy flanking me from 5-10 feet away , no sound. this goddamn shit is annoying.

42 minutes ago, Rodionivanov said:

I think I can agree with this one. Sometimes on long ranges I have this glitch, you can hear 1-bullet taps by 14-mm BTR(and in-between these 1 bullet taps it won't trigger 14-mm sounds at all for some time), when in fact this 14-mm BTR is holding its trigger(spraying), you can tell it's spraying and not tapping by the number of tracers(you get 1 tracer every 5 shots on 14-mm BTR) coming towards you. That happens during big fights, when there are tenths of sounds playing at the same time. And no, it isn't my setup, I tried it on 2 different sound cards and using different setups(stereo, 5.1).

Could it be something related to MaxChannels=128 set in configuration files?

Another glitch is that there is no way you can hear 14-mm BTR tapping 1 bullet at a time on close ranges. You will hear very long sprays even when the guy is actually shooting bullets 1 by one with big intervals(1 bullet per 1 second). Same with all weapons in automatic mode(known bug, right?).

So there are definitely many problems with triggering of sounds in Squad.

Once I record these bugs on video, I will just might post them here, if I'll remember it by then.

Edited by Skul

54 minutes ago, Skul said:

Even now if you want to play with 80 people on the server, with appropriate tick rate on the server at least above 30, you need 7700k overclocked up to ~5 gHz. You add little details like you describe when you already implemented everything you needed and wanted, but you still have plenty of resources left to spend.

OWI don't have any free resources to spend. In fact, they already added too many things without optimizing them. That's why most of people play at very low FPS unless they have Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU and GTX970+.

...I'm not talking about an independent physics sound engine to determine when these sounds are played. I'm talking about including role-based sounds.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:13 PM, Rodionivanov said:

I don't know man, you sound like the guy that has 5.1 spacial audio and all sorts of surround sound bullshit that shouldn't really be played through headphones. Turing the volume up and having great headphones doesn't mean great sound. Adjust your settings, I have Sennheizers and can hear everything perfectly. I also have all that super duper surround dolby DTS bullshit turned off. It creates extra space and more unnecessary space triggers for the audio IE footsteps. It in turn muffles sound as apposed to enhancing it.

I have an experiment for the friends that think footsteps should be louder. Go into a small room, like one of the houses on sumari bala, shoot off a full magazine of an AK with no ear protection, and then have some walk up behind you, and tell me how well you can hear them 

Now you might say "i dont want realism." Sure thing, but why exactly should footsteps be loud as shit? Make an argument for that if youre gonna ask for louder footsteps.