JDNezat

FOB-Focused Game mode

Watching the documentaries Restrepo and Korengal gave me an idea for this game mode.

Basically, both team's squad's each build an fob at a strategic position, or one large fob (maybe 25v25). Let's say you have 3-5 minutes to do this before the round starts. The fobs ideally would be placed on opposite sides of a large canyon. Inside the lowland you could have 3 "capture points" each side has one defense point, then there is a central point. Your team has some people defend your fob(s) while others go and fight for the objectives. Whoever has more people on the objective can slowly capture the center point. Then they have to capture the enemy's defended point before pushing up and capturing the fob(s). This sounds chaotic but I think it could be adjusted to fit the pace of most matches.

(Korengal Map wip) would probably be great for this.

FOBs aren't important/used enough in the game's current state imo.

1 hour ago, JDNezat said:

What on earth are you talking about? FOBs are extremely important in the game, probably the most important thing, and they're used constantly.

If by "not used enough" you mean people don't SuperFOB enough, then there's a reason for that. Squad is a game about mobility and maneuverability. When you cap an objective, you need to move up to the next one. When you lose an objective, you have to fall back to the next one. You need to outmaneuver the enemy at every turn. Consequently, massive SuperFOBs are completely useless in the game. The manpower expended building it, and the manpower expended manning it, is completely wasted as the enemy will outnumber you on the actual objectives, you will lose the objectives, and the FOB will suddenly become completely useless.

Anyways, we had this game mode in Project Reality. It was boring and uneventful.

6 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

What on earth are you talking about? FOBs are extremely important in the game, probably the most important thing, and they're used constantly.

If by "not used enough" you mean people don't SuperFOB enough, then there's a reason for that. Squad is a game about mobility and maneuverability. When you cap an objective, you need to move up to the next one. When you lose an objective, you have to fall back to the next one. You need to outmaneuver the enemy at every turn. Consequently, massive SuperFOBs are completely useless in the game. The manpower expended building it, and the manpower expended manning it, is completely wasted as the enemy will outnumber you on the actual objectives, you will lose the objectives, and the FOB will suddenly become completely useless.

Anyways, we had this game mode in Project Reality. It was boring and uneventful.

I've played 4 games fairly recently and squad leads almost never place good fobs.

My point is that I want a game mode that can take 3-4 hours that would have some sense of progression. A reason to use the fob system to its potential. I never saw this mode in PR btw.

Posted (edited)

insurgency is a super FOB focused game mode. But I do like your idea for 2 super fobs to start and abuilding phase game mode

Edited by madcat768

12 hours ago, JDNezat said:

Well, no.

Destroying enemy supply trucks is very important at the start of the round and often win rounds for your team if your vehicles managed to destroy that supply truck before it was able to supply enemy FOB. Why? Because enemy team can't effectively fight without FOB. You have repair stations, ammo crates and HAB when enemy don't have anything of that because they don't have points on their FOB. You use HAB to spawn and attack the flag, ammo crates to spam them with grenades and repair stations to spam them with bullets(vehicles).

I vote against any new game modes, AAS is beautiful as it is. More game modes split the community, which isn't good. Imagine a CS series with 100 different game modes. Yes, there are de_ cs_, deathmatch, team deathmatch, surf and more but 99% de_ is played. Insurgency has this problem. Every server has mixed game modes, most of which are just bullshit.

Squad is a next-gen game. Devs fixed a lot of bullshit from games from the past and gave us AAS in Project Reality. AAS is great for public games, as well as for competitive play(just as de_ in CS series).

4 hours ago, JDNezat said:

I've played 4 games fairly recently and squad leads almost never place good fobs.

That's a problem of people, not of a game mode. Imagine if chimps played that game with you. Do you think chimps would place any FOBs at all?

My point is that I want a game mode that can take 3-4 hours that would have some sense of progression.

Woah. Why 3-4 hours? Even 90 minute rounds already take enough energy from people. One need to take brakes from time to time. After 2 hours of that, it would become a torture for people.

A reason to use the fob system to its potential.

FOB system can be used to its potential in current game modes. It is just people, most of which(99%) don't understand how to do it.

I never saw this mode in PR btw.

That's because it is not a substantial game mode.

12 hours ago, JDNezat said:

Basically, both team's squad's each build an fob at a strategic position, or one large fob (maybe 25v25). Let's say you have 3-5 minutes to do this before the round starts. The fobs ideally would be placed on opposite sides of a large canyon. Inside the lowland you could have 3 "capture points" each side has one defense point, then there is a central point. Your team has some people defend your fob(s) while others go and fight for the objectives. Whoever has more people on the objective can slowly capture the center point. Then they have to capture the enemy's defended point before pushing up and capturing the fob(s). This sounds chaotic but I think it could be adjusted to fit the pace of most matches.

That sounds very similar to Kohat Inf:

c7DKrgp.png

And it is one of the most least liked and definitely one of the most least played maps in this game. Why? Because of the rock campers. They take Optic Rifleman / Marksman, sit on hill and shoot at rocks 600 m away, instead of going inside flags and actually capping it...

I've never even seen that, but that sounds problematic. Surely something can be done to eliminate that problem.

If not this format, just some extremely long somewhat central objective based infantry mode.