Spectator6

Silence all sounds and voice comms upon death

Along with the instant black screen upon death (which is very nice!), are there plans to also cut all audio and voice comms during this time?  I distinctly remember in ACE for Arma 2, when my character would black out from injuries, how the audio and visual cues would simultaneously fade in and out.  Every time my player would regain consciousness, the rush of sight and gradual fade in of sound as my nearby squadmates talking over my body was very immersive!

Likewise, when everything cuts out upon death, I could not hear the aftermath of the gunfire and grenades, nor could I hear or speak to my team, so I literally had no idea what happened.  To me, this was awesome and substantially increased the sense of presence.

Thanks for considering!

I would like to still hear some of the radio and local audio--but disable my comms, so I cannot call out the last thing I saw before being shot down in my prime.

Maybe not a dead-silence (no pun intended) but a cut of all high frequencies so everything is muffled and lowering in volume as you fade, just surreal. Only thing you would hear clearly is your own voice calling for medic. Still being able to detect footsteps etc, but not as well, nor how many, what kind of firearms etc.

Completely useless and would break a lot of communication between a squad.

When ever my squad in PR gets wiped, or even one guy, I need to tell them where to spawn and what kit. This is true for literally every single other real squad you will play on.

Completely useless and would break a lot of communication between a squad.

When ever my squad in PR gets wiped, or even one guy, I need to tell them where to spawn and what kit. This is true for literally every single other real squad you will play on.

Once you're dead, absolutely.

This wont happen. Disrupting coms all its going to achieve is players start using teamspeak/mumble instead of in-game voice. The devs were very vocal(no pun intended) about this.

This wont happen. Disrupting coms all its going to achieve is players start using teamspeak/mumble instead of in-game voice. The devs were very vocal(no pun intended) about this.

This.

To OP we get where you are coming from, but after 10 years of PR, we know how it turns out when you limit comms, it migrates people to 3rd party voice programs, which means people arent using ingame and defeats the point of the game.

Same reason for people being able to hear enemies local chat. Though we *MAY* make that a server option way down the road for people wanting to do events and whatnot.

will the game sounds aside from comms be silent though? because that would be good. PRBF2 has alot of 'oh oh oh, there's a enemy on my dead body!!!' atm

This.

To OP we get where you are coming from, but after 10 years of PR, we know how it turns out when you limit comms, it migrates people to 3rd party voice programs, which means people arent using ingame and defeats the point of the game.

Same reason for people being able to hear enemies local chat. Though we *MAY* make that a server option way down the road for people wanting to do events and whatnot.

While that may be true for those that use the same 3rd party software, unless they are in it together, the fragmentation of choices would hamper the successful global use of a single outsider audio solution.

People who are not in [the clan teamspeak] are going to be forced into silence, in a good way.

This.

Can't really argue with that. Shit does make sense there.

On PS3, I recall whole team cohesive play(it happened a few times, OK). Since PS4 and its party chat, you don't get that large scale cohesive involvement in BF4. Same in Planetside, everyone is is party chat so proximity is pretty much dead.

Maybe not a dead-silence (no pun intended) but a cut of all high frequencies so everything is muffled and lowering in volume as you fade, just surreal. Only thing you would hear clearly is your own voice calling for medic. Still being able to detect footsteps etc, but not as well, nor how many, what kind of firearms etc.

This is great!

I like the idea of the game sounds fading down, but definitely don't cut comms. With game sounds down, you could then fade in if you're revived. 

This.

Thanks for the reply Z-trooper!  You raise a really good point.  We *want* people to use the ingame comms system and I can see how cutting comms might do more harm than good.  

Others have mentioned muffling or dampening game sounds and leaving voice comms open.  Perhaps this is a solid balance that would keep people from ghosting a lot of intel to their teammates after being killed? (example: "Crap, I just died!  It was heavy MG fire NE from my position.  I can hear at least three enemies still firing and it sounds like one is walking over my body. Get'em get'em!")  But, also, maybe this is the type of communication and teamplay that squad is going for too :)

As to how it may feel, here's a clip that dampens game sounds to some degree while keeping comms open: https://youtu.be/s5DFRCg-gvs?t=4m18s  I'm sure the squad dev gurus could refine it even further to their liking

I support the muffled audio in some form, however it's decided works best overall.  Perhaps the muffled/shifted game sounds combined with a dying heartbeat to really drive home the death screen.  Comms open is fine to me personally.

Do not cut comms but definately cut all other game sounds. You should NOT be able to tell your squad where from and with what weapon enemy is shooting AFTER you are dead. Right now you can also quite easily hear footsteps and say someone is running near your body.

If cutting all sounds other than comms sounds too bare and simplistic in game maybe add some ambient humming and dying hearthbeat as suggested after you die to make it more immersive.

Do not cut comms but definately cut all other game sounds. You should NOT be able to tell your squad where from and with what weapon enemy is shooting AFTER you are dead. Right now you can also quite easily hear footsteps and say someone is running near your body.

If cutting all sounds other than comms sounds too bare and simplistic in game maybe add some ambient humming and dying hearthbeat as suggested after you die to make it more immersive.

Has already been discussed, by doing so, people will use teamspeak instead of the VoIP

Can we not have normal voice on constant aka voice activated but then have to press a button to speak to entire squad/side? having to press v in a firefight to tell your squad you have eyes on while engaging is not good. It works in arma perfectly for 16aa milsim group. People who play music down get kicked its simple.

That was discussed to Para, it's not a good idea, people have background noise, it can interfere with gameplay. Best thing to do would be to find a more comfortable key. I have my mic keys on my mouse.

Has already been discussed, by doing so, people will use teamspeak instead of the VoIP

How would teamspeak help you if you can speak to your squad normally after death but you can't hear OTHER sounds such as gun fire, footsteps etc? Please explain.

How would teamspeak help you if you can speak to your squad normally after death but you can't hear OTHER sounds such as gun fire, footsteps etc? Please explain.

Sorry I misread, I apologize

Though we *MAY* make that a server option way down the road for people wanting to do events and whatnot.

Please do. The number of times in ACE I've found where people are because they like to yak all the time is a lot. It only adds another thing for people who pay attention to take advantage of.