TopMassEntertainment

When will squad devs start optimizing ryzen for more fps

Im writing this to hopefully get some feedback from a person who works on the dev team or knows about this.

but when will the squad devs optimize squad to handle ryzen properly? i have a r7 1700 and an rx 580 and on full 70 player maps get inbetween 30 and 40 fps while people with intel get 45 to 60 fps all the time.

This is an answer i need to know because even though i am getting "ok" performance it isnt what i should be getting. 

If someone who works as a dev or someone who knows legit info on this can tell me when they will start trying to optimize ryzen processors let me know.

thank you

Duplicate.

Also, the devs are using Unreal engine 4 which is known for being intel optimized. The devs can do optimization passes, but as for the engine itself, that's not really going to happen.

The general consensus seems to be that it's Unreal Engine 4's audio engine that isn't coping well AMD CPUs multithreaded nature. Epic Games have released info regarding a total rework of said audio engine, due to it being lackluster in several other regards as well. According to their old, deprecated roadmap on Trello it was slated for release in May. Epic Games have now made a new roadmap which makes no mention of their work on the audio engine, however small parts of it has been released, although marked as experimental, in Unreal Engine 4.16. So it does seem like there is still work being done.

Another question is whether Offworld Industries will incorporate the new audio engine into the game, as they have stated on their Subreddit that they will stick to UE4.15 for now. They have also said that it is possible for them to integrate parts of newer engine iterations, so hope is not lost on that subject.

So to summarize, it's not as much Offworld Industries' job to fix the audio engine as it is Epic Games', the provider of their game engine.

This is nothing OWI devs can influence, it's up to Epic developers to make these optimizations. They won't do it though, UE4 is sponsored by NVidia and biggest advantage NVidia has is its software scheduler offloading draw calls from main thread to others. They benefit from all game logic being on the main thread because that's how you get an IPC bottleneck and that's when NVidia drivers perform "best" (and AMD worst). You can see the same thing in other NVidia sponsored titles.

2 hours ago, Didgy said:

Another question is whether Offworld Industries will incorporate the new audio engine into the game, as they have stated on their Subreddit that they will stick to UE4.15 for now. They have also said that it is possible for them to integrate parts of newer engine iterations, so hope is not lost on that subject.

Thought 4.16 was happening. 

I don't think it will be long, with the introduction of ryzen your seeing Intel trying to get back in the game with multicores.  This I hope will mean more game engines will utilise mire and more cores. When I mean long, next couple of years, see how vulcan is pushing things on.  Just hope it's more sooner than later.

@Smeeit's already happening. Intel are panicking after getting their asses kicked in multithreaded applications by Ryzen. Intel still have the upper hand in instruction per clock cycle so work better in programs not able to take advantage of more cores. That's not an Intel bias just a fact of either the inability to do so or the need for better programming. Processors were so powerful they could push through the work and not have to resort to sharing a load with another core. That played to Intels strengths. Without good compitition from AMD, Intel have taken their foot of the gas. We're now at a point were programs want more than than the current gen CPUs can muster. In all my time gaming on PC I have never been cpu bound until recently. There are games now that are better optimized for multicore CPUs. BF1 to name one. It's allowed Ryzen to kick Intel in the realm of gaming and awoken the giant who's been asleep for a few years now.

Unfortunatley UE4 is still in development compared to something like the Frostbite engine. It doesn't do multithreaded work very well........yet. That's left all the titles based off of it favouring CPUs with higher IPC. I am sure compitition in the game engine market will force Epic to improve but it's a complicated task.

On 13/06/2017 at 6:43 AM, TopMassEntertainment said:

Im writing this to hopefully get some feedback from a person who works on the dev team or knows about this.

but when will the squad devs optimize squad to handle ryzen properly? i have a r7 1700 and an rx 580 and on full 70 player maps get inbetween 30 and 40 fps while people with intel get 45 to 60 fps all the time.

This is an answer i need to know because even though i am getting "ok" performance it isnt what i should be getting. 

If someone who works as a dev or someone who knows legit info on this can tell me when they will start trying to optimize ryzen processors let me know.

thank you

I have a i7-6700 and i have 40 to 50 fps so no.

These performance numbers are not Ryzen specific they are a result of how the game engine is workig.

In the current state some calculations are hung up/synconised in a single thread and can`t be parallised, so this thread on a individual core is dictating  the global calculations speed cause even if you have 100 infinit fast cores additionaly it wouldnt help casue they all would wait on this 1 to finish its work so the others can proceed.

You will expirience the same FPS on intel chips with comparable IPC and clock. e.G. 5820k , 4770K , 4790,