Daniel.F

Weight-based foliage-collision

Desirability poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree and want this implemented to the game if possible?

• Yes, I want this!
    • No, it's good the way it works now.
    • This doesn't matter to me whichever way it goes.

As a frequent squad-leader I like to drive. It gives me more control over where we wind up under contact and makes sure my squad starts out exactly where I want/need it to.

However, sometimes my almost 8 ton (metric) truck can't get through a small bush. While I understand that maybe a techie would get stuck/tangled. It doesn't make sense with a truck that size. Even less so when it comes to a freaking Stryker or BTR. Same with the tracked vehicles.

So, what I propose (if it's not way too complicated) is to make it so the bushes (depending on size and type) let certain vehicles through without collision depending on their weight and possibly even speed and type. This would not only make realistic sense, it would also make tactical considerations, route-planning and vehicle selection more relevant in-game. Especially in more heavily forested maps during flanking maneuvers.

Lastly, please vote in the poll at the top of the post, it's one click and about 3 seconds of your time. It will at the very least give an indication to devs about wether this is actually desirable or not.

PS: I get if this wouldn't take huge priority but it's one of my pet-peeves so to speak that sometimes gets really annoying after getting stopped dead in my tracks by a child-sized bush while transporting an entire squad to the objective in said 8 ton truck, especially at the start of the round where speed is vital. I'm not even sure if this engine would permit such adjustments to physics/collision. However if it does, I would be forever thankful!

PSS: Not talking about destruction of bushes etc. since that would most likely be waaay too complicated to get working in this engine.

Edited by Daniel.F

18 hours ago, Daniel.F said:

As a frequent squad-leader I like to drive. It gives me more control over where we wind up under contact and makes sure my squad starts out exactly where I want/need it to.

However, sometimes my almost 8 ton (metric) truck can't get through a small bush. While I understand that maybe a techie would get stuck/tangled. It doesn't make sense with a truck that size. Even less so when it comes to a freaking Stryker or BTR. Same with the tracked vehicles.

So, what I propose (if it's not way too complicated) is to make it so the bushes (depending on size and type) let certain vehicles through without collision depending on their weight and possibly even speed and type. This would not only make realistic sense, it would also make tactical considerations, route-planning and vehicle selection more relevant in-game. Especially in more heavily forested maps during flanking maneuvers.

Lastly, please vote in the poll at the top of the post, it's one click and about 3 seconds of your time. It will at the very least give an indication to devs about wether this is actually desirable or not.

PS: I get if this wouldn't take huge priority but it's one of my pet-peeves so to speak that sometimes gets really annoying after getting stopped dead in my tracks by a child-sized bush while transporting an entire squad to the objective in said 8 ton truck, especially at the start of the round where speed is vital. I'm not even sure if this engine would permit such adjustments to physics/collision. However if it does, I would be forever thankful!

PSS: Not talking about destruction of bushes etc. since that would most likely be waaay too complicated to get working in this engine.

Agreed. Especially the collision model on the predominant tree/bush in Kohat because it's quite ridiculous really. Nevermind the fact it's like velcro to vehicles as well.

btw, just from my limited experience with the Unreal Engine thus far the collision on the asset is either there or not. I think you can adjust the size of it so like the palm tree trunk has it but not the fronds. Correct me if I'm wrong.

mostly correct (afaik) @Zylfrax791: as long as the asset is able to be set up for more than one collision (ie: not a Sphere, etc), you should be able to set different collisions for different parts of the tree.

for example: i want to make a climbable tree, so i will be making a collision for "climbing" up to a low branch, and another collision for the branch itself - so i can walk on it.

also, i'm pretty sure that, by default, all the foliage assets can have collision set to represent more realistically how you (your car) will react with them, in a basic sense,  ie: small bushes collision set that nearly everything can go through them; bigger scrub - peeps can't go through them; trees- extend collision to suitably sized vehicles; biggest trees (stuff) extend so that nothing can go through.

Now the foliage may not be bendy, due to expense, and "react" to anything but at least you can interact with it better and not keep getting stopped/hung-up on things that should not do so.

21 hours ago, Daniel.F said:

- snip -

Daniel, i would not do it via weight(mass) though - prolly no need to get that specific actually. Per-Vehicle-type would probably suffice. you are talking about the ability to pass/go-through a foliage item at a basic level, Mass would just complicate things i would have thought. ie: a Tank can go through medium sized scrub/bush but anything smaller is stopped.

43 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

mostly correct (afaik) @Zylfrax791: as long as the asset is able to be set up for more than one collision (ie: not a Sphere, etc), you should be able to set different collisions for different parts of the tree.

for example: i want to make a climbable tree, so i will be making a collision for "climbing" up to a low branch, and another collision for the branch itself - so i can walk on it.

also, i'm pretty sure that, by default, all the foliage assets can have collision set to represent more realistically how you (your car) will react with them, in a basic sense,  ie: small bushes collision set that nearly everything can go through them; bigger scrub - peeps can't go through them; trees- extend collision to suitably sized vehicles; biggest trees (stuff) extend so that nothing can go through.

Now the foliage may not be bendy, due to expense, and "react" to anything but at least you can interact with it better and not keep getting stopped/hung-up on things that should not do so.

Daniel, i would not do it via weight(mass) though - prolly no need to get that specific actually. Per-Vehicle-type would probably suffice. you are talking about the ability to pass/go-through a foliage item at a basic level, Mass would just complicate things i would have thought. ie: a Tank can go through medium sized scrub/bush but anything smaller is stopped.

Overall the previous tweak to the vehicle physics seems very realistic across the board with noticable differences in each vehicle with the Stryker being the most stable. Furthermore, the implementation of the shift function enabling addition virtual torque for climbing inclines seems spot on as well. I think removing the collision on medium sized saplings and increasing it on low walls, guard rails and bridge rails would pretty much make the vehicle physics perfect.