moppel

Squad/UE Drawcallbottleneck

moppel   

Hi

I recently noticed while playing around with motar feature in Singelplayer on different maps that UE 4 version used in Squad or its implimentation seems to have a big Drawcall Bottleneck additionaly to  the well known MP problems.

Settings:

All Epic

NO SS,AA

FHD

E.G Chora ASS V2 via Adminchangemap ... gives around 70-90 FPS while GPU is at 50% usage,CPu has one core At 80% load on full clock rest 30-50% with some cores even downclocking, gamethreat is 6 ms while rest around 20ms,

This observation is present through the whole mapline with a higher impact in heavy vegatation areas/maps.

For me this is reproducable on my 3 Rigs so i doubt this is a PC specific Problem:

Dual Xeon E5-2687W  ; GTX 1060 ; 128 Gb Ram ;Win 7

I7 4790 ; GTX 1060; 16 Gb Ram ; Win 7

I7 5820K , GTX 1080 , 64 Gb Ram ; Win 7 & 10

Can other People reproduce this ?

After searching UE Forums i found this : https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?49169-POM-material&p=624232&viewfull=1#post624232

Seems like with UE 4.14 ( version Squad is using) Materials have a bug that can lead to massive Performance decrease by causing  high drawcalls in some cases.

Edited by moppel

moppel   

Worst example so far. Al Bashra

Singelplayer

1600x900

No AA

All Epic

I7 5820K + GTX1080 between 60-70 FPS

8d2n7do4.jpg

PROTOCOL   
On 6/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, moppel said:

After searching UE Forums i found this : https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?49169-POM-material&p=624232&viewfull=1#post624232

Seems like with UE 4.14 ( version Squad is using) Materials have a bug that can lead to massive Performance decrease by causing  high drawcalls in some cases.

Also see...

Bug found in UE4 4.14 slated for 4.16 fix: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42956

I personally notice the greatest loss in fps performance after update from Squad v8.11 to v9.xx. Reading the Squad release notes for v9 in March, that's when they went from v4.13 to v4.14; v4.14 is when the bug was introduced that has a performance hit (per UE4 staff).

Excerpt from bug review comment:

I've tested this across multiple versions and it appears to break from 4.13 to 4.14. Which happens to be when we upgraded to PhysX 3.4. There isn't really any immediate fix for you, but I've entered UE-42956 for investigation. You can track the report's status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff. Please be aware that this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.

-Matt W.

Arduras   

According to the links this bug was supposedly found and fixed in July 2015? Why wouldn't Squad start with the best version of UE? Hopefully they update to 4.16 at least by/for V10.

PROTOCOL   
7 minutes ago, Arduras said:

According to the links this bug was supposedly found and fixed in July 2015? Why wouldn't Squad start with the best version of UE? Hopefully they update to 4.16 at least by/for V10.

I agree, lets hope it in before or w/v.10! The link I listed was logged more recently.

Created Mar 15, 2017
Resolved Mar 28, 2017
Updated May 3, 2017

moppel   

i just retested this scene with my max  24/7 OC setting at 4,5 Ghz and get same behaivior +10 FPs hitting around 76Fps while still being CPU limited in pure singleplayer mode.

ruaflrxj.jpg

Would be nice to get some feedback on this by a dev.  regarding its a UE4 bug or something else.

I know you guys have little time but getting offical response to these behaivior with first hand tech talk and maybe some insights to technical problems you guys have to overcome would be pretty interresting for me personaly.