Sign in to follow this  
SpinCrash

100+ Lessons Learned as a Squad Leader

Hey folks, I've been around for a while, but mostly just ghosting around, checking the forums but not participating. I've looked for some squad lead guides and found some incredible ones. They all range from super basic, to wonderfully complex. I wanted to create my own that's long and definitive, but also bite-sized and easy to digest. Here goes!

https:[email protected]/100-lessons-learned-as-a-squad-leader-474d7966e993

Please feel free to comment your own lessons learned here, and I'll be sure to add them!

Thanks!

-Spin

107. As a squad leader, you're the only member of the squad who has the right to use words "my position" as a reference point. Everybody else should use either the direction from his squad leader, or an easily recognizable nearby landmark when calling out locations.

Nobody has time to pull out his map in the middle of combat to figure out where you are/were when you got wounded. On the other hand, if you're wounded on the ground, you have all the time in the world to figure out how to correctly inform your squadmates who killed you and where he was (ideally in one sentence, keep it concise). Saying "enemy on my position" is just lazy, your squadmates deserve better (since they'll be the ones either saving your butt or going down with you, after all).

Same goes for calling for a medic. Saying "medic!" in squad radio is just plain lazy, saying something along the lines of  "MultiSquid, I'm down 50m west of you.", will make your squadmate's life so much easier.

People calling out "I'm here, medic!" in squad radio make me go:

3 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

107. As a squad leader, you're the only member of the squad who has the right to use words "my position" as a reference point. Everybody else should use either the direction from his squad leader, or an easily recognizable nearby landmark when calling out locations.

Nobody has time to pull out his map in the middle of combat to figure out where you are/were when you got wounded. On the other hand, if you're wounded on the ground, you have all the time in the world to figure out how to correctly inform your squadmates who killed you and where he was (ideally in one sentence, keep it concise). Saying "enemy on my position" is just lazy, your squadmates deserve better (since they'll be the ones either saving your butt or going down with you, after all).

Same goes for calling for a medic. Saying "medic!" in squad radio is just plain lazy, saying something along the lines of  "MultiSquid, I'm down 50m west of you.", will make your squadmate's life so much easier.

Rad tip. Adding it in now!

Shortfox   

Enjoyed playing with you last night - the list definitely made me reflect on some of my own squad lead strategies. Let me know if you need a driver

Skor   

Great work. 109. Hi, should I add that most of the public SL's are defending their points being inside the point. That is a very bad choice. One should always bring the war to the enemy, not the opposite. If germany is fighting on french soil, who's taking the most damages? Probably the french, their economy is stopped, their land and people destroyed or killed. German will not have any civilian casualty for example. In Squad, you should always create a fire curtain around the point - OUTSIDE the point. Taking points of tactical interest around the point is mandatory to defend it properly (hills, buildings, roofs, etc.). What you need to defend a point is what you need to attack it. simple. So think and do some revers engineering. Defend OUTSIDE. If the enemy is fighting inside your limit, consider that you lost it already or that the cost of defense will be ticket expensive. One more thing. Loosing OUTSIDE will leave some time for other Squad to help ; loosing inside will leave the enemy capping in 4 minutes without any further treatment.      

Edited by Skor

Gatzby   

Digging in and loving this. Thanks for making it! Hot damn, I love a game with a lot to learn.

Great reading, indeed!

I hope that more people share their experiences as SL's as well...

Also I have been reading a U.S. Marine Squad PDF manual for giving me an idea of the art of SL'ing... it's a tough role, indeed...

14 hours ago, Skor said:

Great work. 109. Hi, should I add that most of the public SL's are defending their points being inside the point. That is a very bad choice. One should always bring the war to the enemy, not the opposite. If germany is fighting on french soil, who's taking the most damages? Probably the french, their economy is stopped, their land and people destroyed or killed. German will not have any civilian casualty for example. In Squad, you should always create a fire curtain around the point - OUTSIDE the point. Taking points of tactical interest around the point is mandatory to defend it properly (hills, buildings, roofs, etc.). What you need to defend a point is what you need to attack it. simple. So think and do some revers engineering. Defend OUTSIDE. If the enemy is fighting inside your limit, consider that you lost it already or that the cost of defense will be ticket expensive. One more thing. Loosing OUTSIDE will leave some time for other Squad to help ; loosing inside will leave the enemy capping in 4 minutes without any further treatment.      

This is an incredible lesson. It's something that all SLs need to apply, I'll add this in tomorrow!

15 hours ago, Shortfox said:

Enjoyed playing with you last night - the list definitely made me reflect on some of my own squad lead strategies. Let me know if you need a driver

Shortfoxxxxxx, ur the best man. Really enjoyed playing with you too.

LugNut   

Awesome guide OP.

I'd also suggest something along the lines of "Don't get so focused on the smaller details that you lose awareness of what is happening elsewhere on the map." I have again and again seen otherwise good SLs become so focused on taking down a FOB while the battle moves on, or super fobbing a point that is irrelevant, or fiddling around setting up rocket techies/mortars for the first 15 minutes of a match while their team gets rolled up.

I think a great addition to the map would be a speaker icon (or something similar) appearing over whichever Squad member is talking at the time. That would make all this 'my position' talk on the radio much more relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skor   

Hi @SpinCrashI'm translating everything in french at the moment, then I will publish it and keep it up to date on squadfrance.fr (2500 french speaking members community) with the proper credits and a link to the original. Is it ok for you? Let me know. People will be very interested.