Ops3t

FPS tweak for GTX 9xx users

Ops3t   

Hello Squaddies, last few weeks I was fighting with fps drops in Squad and it tooks all the plesure of playing this awesome game. My rig aint so bad and I was rly worried that it gives me only 30-45 fps, so I started of searching an sollution. First thing that I've checked was the CPU usage of game so I decidet to oc cpu up to 5 GHz and it gives me only 2-5 fps. Seccond one was drivers issues, I've checked few and this solution gives me the answear, that good drivers gives me almous 60+ fps boost.

Rig spec: Windows 10 Pro x64

CPU: i5-7600k 3.8 GHz

RAM: 8GB

GPU: gtx 980

All drivers I've tested on shooting range but it gives a close look up whats happening while changing those drivers (on full servers I think there will be something around 10-20 fps less than on SR):

1. 361.75-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql - 40-50 fps

2. 368.81-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql - 90-110 fps

3. 372.90-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql - 60-80 fps

4. 381.89-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql - 30-45 fps

Check outs we're made on 9,4 relese and it would be nice that more ppl will check those settings. Ah I almoust forgot that ingame settings are all on epic, scalling off, and TXAA (it gives 10 more fps comparing to SXAA) resolution 2560x1080.  Solution with  368.81 drivers I've made today, and Ill try to test them today on public server. Peace out and I hope that this will help for some ppl with maxwell GTX 9xx graphics. And yes my english is potatoe.

Edited by Ops3t

Skul   

Don't use firing range as a benchmark. You can reach maximum FPS very easily on Firing Range and become bottlenecked by CPU.

Test it on GPU heavy maps, like Fools Road and OPFL.

When you go to Firing Range, you're an admin on your local server, so you can change your map on local server with command AdminChangeMap Fools Road AAS v1, for example.

Bother to test other versions of drivers? I don't have that great patience in me to reinstall every version of drivers, like you did :P, to see if there is a better version of drivers. I just found this in the config files of Squad:

[GPU_NVIDIA]
; a newer one is out but has issues (see below)
SuggestedDriverVersion="372.90"

; Seems this driver was not setting uninitialized global variables
; (static, non const) to 0 but leaving them uninitialized.
; Also blacklist future driver versions until QA has verified them to work.
; NOTE: UE-25096 has been fixed and verified by QA.
;+Blacklist=(DriverVersion=">=361.43", Reason="UE-25096 Viewport flashes black and white when moving in the scene on latest NVIDIA drivers")

; To prevent problems with older drivers.
; We might have to adjust that further.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="<=347.09", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

; UE-35288, GPU hangs in 4.13 binary release.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="==372.70", Reason="This driver version has many known stability issues")

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[GPU_AMD]
// From OR-27051 as of 8/4/2016 is 16.300.2311.0 7/18/2016 (Crimson Edition 16.9.2)
SuggestedDriverVersion="16.300.2311.0"

// From OR-27051
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="==15.300.1025.1001", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

// 14.301.1001.0 - 13.152.1.1000 are the AMD drivers that seem to be causing crashes when we try to compile a compute shader.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="<=14.301.1001.0", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And installed recommended version. I was pretty sure there should always be better version of drivers for Squad than recommended, I just don't have patience to check every driver version, every time OWI update Squad...

Now, after you report that 368.81 is even better than 372.90, I guess I'll try them out, too. Thanks a lot for posting that, man! drinks.gif

Also, I believe, deleting(or not installing) PhysX engine helped me with FPS, too. Actually, you don't want to install anything, except for the graphics driver itself:

L3kaSi7.png

y0jOufS.png

Here's how I install my video driver:

YR8YF85.gif

Edited by Skul

Skul   

Well, I tried this 368.81 driver(installed only graphics driver, no crapirience, no physX, no audio driver, etc, as on screenshot above) and it does increase FPS for me too.

And input lag. Man, it's gone. Just gon'.

Edited by Skul

Para   

980ti user Ill test these and record video evidence see if it makes any difference and post here.

Ops3t   

Thanks Skul you checked this so carefully. The reason why I want to check those drivers was the official test from Nvidia users while win 10 was relesed, some peps make test and it shown that maxwell cards have best performance with 368.81 drivers. There are also 378.57 beta drivers but I havn't test them out. And yes you have to be rly patience with this stuff.

Btw I'm testing everything on vehicle track becouse the fluctuactions of frame rates are rly high there (dunno why). I'm rly glad it helps, and hope so it will help for more squaddies. 

Skul   

I am pretty sure that this 368.81 is better for everyone with Nvidia card. Not only for 900 series of GPUs. I don't have a video card from 900 series but it worked for me. So you could probably change name of the thread or ask mods to do so. Even before I opened this thread, I was pretty sure that if it worked for you on your 900 series video card, it will work for me with mine.

19 minutes ago, Ops3t said:

The reason why I want to check those drivers was the official test from Nvidia users while win 10 was relesed, some peps make test and it shown that maxwell cards have best performance with 368.81 drivers.

Can you share any links about it?

Edited by Skul

RUSO   
On 7/19/2017 at 11:04 PM, Sata3D said:

is the same result whi the new  update 9.6  of squad ?

the 368.81   have some problems whit another game ?

Did you check ?

Yesterday I tested 372.90 versus the latest 384.94 on my GTX 1070.

In the same scenes on Fool's Road and Gorodok on local, 372.90 only gave 1-3 FPS more, but that might as well just be because I did a clean install and cleared my game cache.

After playing a bit on a full server, I would say it made no difference.

I'm on the fence about trying 368.81, as that was released just a month after the GTX 1070, so I doubt it will make a difference. I'm glad it's helping Maxwell owners though.

Lio   

I discovered my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU, so this no good for me :(

I got around to testing the 368.81 drivers on my GTX 1070 this weekend, and to my surprise it also gave me 15 - 20 FPS more in all cases I tested versus 372.90 and the latest 384.94 drivers.

On full servers playing maps like Fool's Road/Gorodok/Narva, it really makes a huge difference. FPS would previously drop below 40 at times, but with 368.81 it stays above 50, which makes it much more enjoyable to play.

I wonder if any devs are aware of this and whether they could say what is causing this large difference? I think either something isn't being rendered properly with 368.81, although I haven't noticed any difference, or stuff off screen are unnecessary rendered with newer drivers, or there is some other overhead that is causing a bottleneck with the older UE 4 engine version Squad is still using? Hopefully with V10 newer drivers will work as well as 368.81.

It's all marketing..
They are consciously slower in time so that we must always buy new ones.
I've ever had a 8800gtx from 2006, where I've been able to play the latest games for 8 years, with the right drivers.

Lio   
7 hours ago, RollingInTheHurt said:

I tried this on my 960 and made zero improvements.

I actually lost 2-4fps by using the older drivers.

Maybe its just Windows 10 specific?

It can be the CPU bottlenecking... just like my case :/

Lio   

So 368.81 doesn't get us better performance from the newest drivers?

Skul   

So now Squad A9.8 released, updated to UE 4.16. How's the performance, @Ops3t?

I guess someone will have to do all the tests againwink.gif

Skul   

In UE 4.16 SDK in BaseHardware.ini file it says that recommended Nvidia driver is 378.92:

[GPU_NVIDIA]
; a newer one is out but has issues (see below)
SuggestedDriverVersion="378.92"

; Seems this driver was not setting uninitialized global variables
; (static, non const) to 0 but leaving them uninitialized.
; Also blacklist future driver versions until QA has verified them to work.
; NOTE: UE-25096 has been fixed and verified by QA.
;+Blacklist=(DriverVersion=">=361.43", Reason="UE-25096 Viewport flashes black and white when moving in the scene on latest NVIDIA drivers")

; To prevent problems with older drivers.
; We might have to adjust that further.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="<=347.09", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

; UE-35288, GPU hangs in 4.13 binary release.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="==372.70", Reason="This driver version has many known stability issues")

[GPU_AMD]
// From OR-27051 as of 8/4/2016 is 16.300.2311.0 7/18/2016 (Crimson Edition 16.9.2)
SuggestedDriverVersion="16.60.2711.0"

// From OR-27051
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="==15.300.1025.1001", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

// 14.301.1001.0 - 13.152.1.1000 are the AMD drivers that seem to be causing crashes when we try to compile a compute shader.
+Blacklist=(DriverVersion="<=14.301.1001.0", Reason="Crashes with Paragon content using more recent GPU features")

So far this info from the BaseHardware.ini file never made it worse for me compared to other drivers I used in the past.

Edited by Skul