KurdishForces

Armor Realism in Squad. Armata Rant

So I haven't heard anything about armor pen, modules, ect.  I am of course talking about damage models, taken in far greater detail then lets say, arma, war thunder, ect. as the pictures below.

vBHbGL2.jpg

QwHXuzr.png

My thoughts would be having module damage, there should be no such thing as "hit-points" rather overall damage that would cause the vehicle to be a banded or destroyed. It can be done reletively easily as knocking out modules would add for realism(as PR was famous for vehicle combat). Or like russian tanks are famous for; putting ammunition around the turret so most penetrations cause internal explosion.

::::rant starts here::::

So I heard squad thought about implementing the armata platform. One question, If the T-90 has seen little to no action why would you even add the armata which the specs will be classified for a long time. The T-90 would make sense or any other T-72 implemtation. If you are gonna go that crazy you should add the fucking polish super tank the PL-PAC01. I don't mean to go off on the russo fanboys, but if we are sticking to whats realistic why add a tank that has maybe 10 produced, with specs you are just guessing on.

::::END ARMATA RANT HERE::::

I will edit as I find more documentation.

In response to OP, if I understand you correctly, the vehicle would lose certain functions as certain modules were damaged critically? Could be interesting, but there are certain rounds that will disable a tank in a single shot, so that would need to be accounted for.

::::Ignore if you are a russian fanboy::::

Lets avoid divisive language like "Russian fanboy". Its un-necessary and we are a unified, cosmopolitan community, with members of many, and hopefully one day all nationalities.

As for the Armata, it was likely a user request. Present development goals are going to be Currently Fielded assets and assets fielded in the Recent Past.

After 1.0 release, mods may well change that.

In response to OP, if I understand you correctly, the vehicle would lose certain functions as certain modules were damaged critically? Could be interesting, but there are certain rounds that will disable a tank in a single shot, so that would need to be accounted for.

Lets avoid divisive language like "Russian fanboy". Its un-necessary and we are a unified, cosmopolitan community, with members of many, and hopefully one day all nationalities.

As for the Armata, it was likely a user request. Present development goals are going to be Currently Fielded assets and assets fielded in the Recent Past.

After 1.0 release, mods may well change that.

I changed the fanboy slogan, to rant. and yes in one shot a tank could be destroyed, but that seems alot more realistic. If you have a bunch of dim wits who grab the tanks first and go BF4 they shouldnt survive diving them like jeeps through the desert. I competent crew can handle the situation, you wouldnt take 2 t-72(base varient, not t-90, t-80, ect) against an Abrams from the front. I feel it would make drivers and especially apc crews more reasonable with their choices. take for example you fire an rpg 7 or a law into the rear of an apc, afv, with a crew, the frag would kill the crew, and not be a magical bullet sponge. it would add tactical thinking. Food for thought.

I changed the fanboy slogan, to rant. and yes in one shot a tank could be destroyed, but that seems alot more realistic. If you have a bunch of dim wits who grab the tanks first and go BF4 they shouldnt survive diving them like jeeps through the desert. I competent crew can handle the situation, you wouldnt take 2 t-72(base varient, not t-90, t-80, ect) against an Abrams from the front. I feel it would make drivers and especially apc crews more reasonable with their choices. take for example you fire an rpg 7 or a law into the rear of an apc, afv, with a crew, the frag would kill the crew, and not be a magical bullet sponge. it would add tactical thinking. Food for thought.

Thanks for the edit, it's normally something I'd keep in a PM, but I think there may be others who could stand to gain from the adjustment. Thank you for your mature response and cooperation.

In regards to tank mechanics, I assure you the developers are very interested in striking that best balance between a good functioning damage system, and not being too "sim." There have been some other good tank threads that you might like to read as they contain some developer feedback and some good ideas and discussion. This one in particular comes to mind.

In anycase, we love ideas, input and feedback. If you search and cant find a thread about something that definitely would augment this game's teamplay and gameplay, by all means, bring it up.

As it stands, I think your module approach to damage and "tank systems" is rather interesting. e.g. Could one knock out the thermal sights on a tank with a carefully placed .50cal round? Or destroy the tank's turret rotation actuation. Etc. etc.

+1 for a realistic damage Model, being able to knock out Optic's and stuff could encourage better use of combined arm's. I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to just Disable Vehicle's as-well (like blowing tread's off).

I don't know how advanced they'll be able to make it though (look at RO2' Tank system) and that was a fully fledged Game with a far higher budget.

I think the addition of disabling vehicles like knocking out tracks or electronics would be very cool. If you're actually talking about going more realistic than War Thunder or Arma, though, you may have not heard it multiple times that they are not trying to make an armor simulator. There is only going to be a driver and a gunner, no commander or loader. The armor damage model does not need to be any more complex than War Thunder, if that.

I haven't played it, but this video make's it seem quite in-depth:

https://youtu.be/oNIctegt9ko?t=64

+1 for a realistic damage Model, being able to knock out Optic's and stuff could encourage better use of combined arm's. I wouldn't mind seeing the ability to just Disable Vehicle's as-well (like blowing tread's off).

I don't know how advanced they'll be able to make it though (look at RO2' Tank system) and that was a fully fledged Game with a far higher budget.

Il answer both in one, driver and gunner is fine. what I am stating is that certain modules and damage models should be addressed. Knocking out certain perif and other devices aka smoke screens would be nice, but after expermienting with UE4 I am able to create a low stress scenario where a tank can, "be destroyed" with X amount of damage models dependent where it was hit, be it Kinetic or explosive.

In regards to tank mechanics, I assure you the developers are very interested in striking that best balance between a good functioning damage system, and not being too "sim."

I enjoy in PR that tanks can be absolutely terrifying one moment, and destroyed from an ATGM the next as they are in current real conflicts.

I hope the system is a little more indepth for light AT in Squad. It's a little frustrating to land a solid hit on a light to medium armoured vehicle in PR only to have it scoot away scared smoking but otherwise perfectly fine to go back to base and repair with no issues.

That's where mobility kill's could come in, like put more of an onus on this with Light AT Weapon's (Tread/Engine damage) Would be a fun scenario for a Tank crew to bail out of their Damaged vehicle and hold off Enemy until a  Repair truck or Engineer's came.

In Company of Heroes 2 you have Scaled anti Tank Weapon's, like Panzerfaust's do a bit of overall Damage to Medium and Heavy Tank's and have a high chance of doing Engine Damage which considerably slows Vehicle's down (AT Mines have a similar effect but do more overall damage). Dedicated AT Gun's, Bazooka's/Panzerschrek's and similarly matched Tank's don't tend to do Engine damage but do more overall damage generally and seem to have a higher chance of destroying Main Gun's.

I don't know if they'd want to add any kind of RNG element to it in Squad, but it could be interesting (like certain AT Weapon's having more of a chance of doing certain type's of Damage). As for Optic's and stuff, I think it'd be too annoying if say one .50 hit could block your vision until you got repaired, maybe just make it so there's a 'Vehicle buttoning' effect with Smaller Weapon's:

The first hit would temporarily impair system's (like briefly a Dirty/Broken overlay on the Sight picture)

As more hit's get taken in this area effect's get worse (Optic's stay impaired for longer period's and the overlay impair's vision more)

When damage reaches a critical point they become disabled or barely usable and the Tank need's to be repaired (but this'd require a lot of hit's from smaller Weapon's)

Basically getting at a system where say a .50 cal Machine-Gun or DSHK could Damage part's of a Tank with Burst's of fire, but they'd be putting themselves at risk doing so. Smaller arm's than that would be able to impair their vision/fighting ability a bit.

I doubt the Armata will ever be procured in any considerable numbers to ever even see combat.

Russians getting the t72-b3 makes far more sense as it is the newest most plentiful tank they have.

T90, t80s are all procured in tiny tiny numbers.

So I haven't heard anything about armor pen, modules, ect.  I am of course talking about damage models, taken in far greater detail then lets say, arma, war thunder, ect. as the pictures below.

vBHbGL2.jpg

QwHXuzr.png

My thoughts would be having module damage, there should be no such thing as "hit-points" rather overall damage that would cause the vehicle to be a banded or destroyed. It can be done reletively easily as knocking out modules would add for realism(as PR was famous for vehicle combat). Or like russian tanks are famous for; putting ammunition around the turret so most penetrations cause internal explosion.

::::rant starts here::::

So I heard squad thought about implementing the armata platform. One question, If the T-90 has seen little to no action why would you even add the armata which the specs will be classified for a long time. The T-90 would make sense or any other T-72 implemtation. If you are gonna go that crazy you should add the fucking polish super tank the PL-PAC01. I don't mean to go off on the russo fanboys, but if we are sticking to whats realistic why add a tank that has maybe 10 produced, with specs you are just guessing on.

I will edit as I find more documentation.

Sounds Awesome, as someone who LOVES to Drive/ Gun in APC's/ Tanks, I would love to see this kind of damage model, and I like your stance on making us make better decisions. Not to seem "up my self" but as a decent tank crewmen, with a decent crew you really don't have to be all that careful, just don't drive head first into 3 enemy tanks.. simple.. I don't like that mentality, its just stupid, I would love to be forced to take a step back and think about an approach logically and take things a bit slower.

Our group love the Arma series. However, we can stop a tank with the right type of 'bush', unfortunately...

If Squad were to pick up this type of game-play, realistic damage, then that would be a case of; 'BI, put that in your pipe and smoke it'..

I.e. it would be great. :)

Very nice Kurdish,do like the different references on damage zones,you never see me on one those Tinholes.

Thank you :)

Sounds Awesome, as someone who LOVES to Drive/ Gun in APC's/ Tanks, I would love to see this kind of damage model, and I like your stance on making us make better decisions. Not to seem "up my self" but as a decent tank crewmen, with a decent crew you really don't have to be all that careful, just don't drive head first into 3 enemy tanks.. simple.. I don't like that mentality, its just stupid, I would love to be forced to take a step back and think about an approach logically and take things a bit slower.

I agree there needs to be more of an, OH SHIT! factor. You need to have less visibility in the tank, the driver should be looking through portholes, and the gunner should be stuck in the gun sight unless it gets hit and knocked out.

here are some more pics, I will load up steel beasts today and take some screenshots on what I am talking about.

Xo6HW1d.jpg

4QiQTPl.jpg

Ss8WUkZ.jpg

iF9N3oT.jpg

I'd say itd be like arma 3 or 2 where in an armored vehicle if you get hit in the tracks you lose your mobility or if you get hit in the turret you can no longer use the cannon or mounted lmg's. But at this point in time it's anyone's guess as to how the damage model will work. Also with Armored vehicles it'd be multi person vehicles meaning more than one person is needed to fully run the tank or APC.

Realism...OK .... just as long as it doesn't degenerate into the "plink plink plink" to reduce hit points , as the other online tank games do.

I don't recall anyone of us ever mentioning that we were thinking of putting in the Armata. Not sure where that came from, but it is no where on our list of things to make.

I don't recall anyone of us ever mentioning that we were thinking of putting in the Armata. Not sure where that came from, but it is no where on our list of things to make.

I don't recall reading that anywhere.. not sure where that came from.