hitman

Will Modded Factions be added into the game?

hitman   

Hey I just looked up "Modded Factions" and I found nothing on it so here we are. I was wanting to know if people will be able to give the devs factions they made themselves. I think it would help you guys and people would be able to help in their free time. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Thanks!

Ineresting idea. I personally like this concept of adding in your own factions, but I'm just a little worried that there may be some "faction overloading". If this idea were to become an ingame feature, I think it would be nice to have a filtering process so that a faction name such as "YourMother'sAFemaleDog Special Forces" or "EatFaecesMotherFudger Operations", wouldn't be added in. The filtering is just my opinion of course, and perhaps a lot of people don't care for this, and believe that not having any filters will be more interesting, not to mention the added workload for the developers. Ultimately I'm for whatever the majority wants, I just would find it nice to preserve some realism in the process.

unfrail   

At 1.0, the game will support modding of many varieties. Developers have also suggested that mods created with sufficient quality can potentially be added as official content and the creators compensated.

At 1.0, the game will support modding of many varieties. Developers have also suggested that mods created with sufficient quality can potentially be added as official content and the creators compensated.

Sounds like a great plan. I'll be looking forward to community content.

Maltent   

So what determines sufficient quality? Are we talking about like full blown maps complete with everything that would be a map made by the devs or something like asset creation? Also another question like Arma 3 people who run mods don't them having a weapon or uniform if another player doesn't have that exact mod, so how will Squad handle that? Will everyone still be able to see what each other is using regardless if I have it installed or not?

unfrail   

In the context of this thread, I was specificcally referring to factions. Example; someone takes existing US assets, adds and modifies to create a complete Canadian Armed Forces faction, with equivalent quality to what is being used in game. *perhaps* the developers will negotiate the official addition of this faction, and they have in-fact expressed interest in doing so in the past. No promises, but if you are going to that level of effort, with the intent of making something potentially official, you should be in touch with the developers well in advance of finishing, to be clear.

The developers are going to release a development kit when the game goes 1.0 (or shortly thereafter) so custom maps and that kind of content is very much something they want to facilitate. A properly made map, may as well, be subject to official backing. The community needs content, and the developers only have so much time, and much the same interest in seeing this game grow well beyond its foundation.

Condogz   

I'd just like to point out that the addons that modders make for Squad will generally be used in a private server for their own clan and likewise clans in the future. They cant make a folder on their own computer and go use it on the public servers, if that were the case you would see me with a terminator style robot armor with a minigun that shoots RPG shells. Infact every server will have one of those running around. In exception for "client side addons" like blastcore, jsrs or shactac hud from arma you will not see community made assets on public servers, unless yeah they become official assets to the Squad game. but the bad thing about that is the enormously large file size of the game as the years go on

We will have mod support, and that will include factions.  What it looks like is still being discussed and figured out, but you will be able to add factions into the game with mods.  

The data side of adding factions is pretty easy.  The difficult part is creating all of the assets for each faction.  

This sounds like the biggest win-win possible if not only is the game open to mods but the devs are open to actually incorporating production quality mod work into the game.

The only potential issue I'd cite with compensating developers for content is that it would have to be done fairly thoughtfully and innovatively.

Bohemia Interactive (ARMA devs) promoted a mod contest called 'Make Arma Not War' for Arma3. Great idea, huge push to the modding community, exposure and significant dollar value prizes to be won, but there were unintended consequences. One knock-on effect of this was that with cash prizes in the offing, mod teams that had collaborated for previous generations of the game started working separately (as to win they would have to use assets and work that were solely theirs) and there was a bit of a chilling effect in terms of asset sharing and so on. This seems to have largely ended now that the contest is over, but I guess it's something to think about.

I'm still a huge fan of the idea of compensating modders if their work is integrated into the game but I guess there's some lessons to be learned in terms of how to do it well so as not to stifle cooperation.

This is the best news I could have had to day, I have plans already ( premature I know) to work on a JSDF faction, one to plump up my portfolio and two, to possible add it to Squad as a mod so hearing that the Devs are so open to community content just adds to my drive to get it done. Thank you almighty squad devs. 

Kydric   

Maybe make a mod first making a lot more countries' soldiers. If I make a squad it will be called the 68th Special Forces Brigade. Bulgarians for the win!

Condogz   

in order to create moddable factions you kind of need to break Terms of use :/ since everything is locked via master keys. So either someone from the outside could be given the opportunity to creat a base mod to go off, or we have to wait for mod support. Either ways fine with me since my ADF mod would take a couple months to get done. :)

Oh, yeah.  Modding is disallowed right now for one reason:  We don't want to break your mods when we change things (which we do every day).  

Once we have official support, the gates will open and you guys will be able to go ham.  Until then, don't do it or you are setting yourself up for pain.  

IrOnTaXi   

The address "content of sufficient quality" a good faction mod / addon would require the faction, assets and a map or two to become officially added. You are going to need a team..

We will be here to help organize but ue4 will definitely set a pretty high bar.

As roy mentioned though.. making a new faction code wise in squad can be done in a matter of hours

Thanks Hitman for starting this thread, I wanted to ask for a while, but was a bit to nervous to ask.

I think that a modding curation much like Killing Floor or Team Fortress 2 would be great, the sheer content was always an appeal the PR had, and constantly updated games make it to the Steam front page more often!