YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Al Basrah feels Somewhat Empty?

83 posts in this topic
7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

That one is obvious enough, but just a few posts ago, the thread-starter (YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife) mentioned that he was not specifically referring to the inside of buildings. 

Additionally, the empty interiors aren't perceived emptiness as much as actual emptiness :P

Just to remind everyone what was said at the start of the thread:

That is why I posted about the perceived emptiness, because to each person it's different. Having screenshots as examples for one's opinion allows for a baseline of discourse, in my opinion. 

Here, look at this, somebody come look at this, why doesn't everyone look at this?

Squad%20Al%20Basrah.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

roger-assifuah-jr-rogerassifuahjr-sqd-de maxresdefault.jpg

Ok, so what you mean is that it looks sterile and not as dirty as the PR version.

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

Ok, so what you mean is that it looks sterile and not as dirty as the PR version.

That and slightly less colorful and less detail on building exteriors and roofs.

Maps change over time with more updates. Kohat and Logat started out worse than Al Basrah at first. But yeah it would be nice to see the map's buildings damaged here and there in future versions.

As some people have mentioned above it would be nice to see a more dirty look of some maps, I hope we'll get to see this in the future.
The expanse of Al Basrah is nice but I would like to see the expanse going east rather then south.

On 07/06/2017 at 8:28 PM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Here, look at this, somebody come look at this, why doesn't everyone look at this?

Squad%20Al%20Basrah.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

roger-assifuah-jr-rogerassifuahjr-sqd-de maxresdefault.jpg

so, add some roof clutter?  - coz that's the only real difference i see here.

other than that the PR screenies just show GFX that have more saturation and prolly a little more contrast - certainly far less definition - than the Squad screenies.

PR's Al Basrah has more colour, and the buildings overall have more details on them, like signage. The detail is thanks to the fact that most of the statics in the map are recycled from Battlefield 2, which was done professionally. I'm perfectly fine with the more bland statics, because the game has enough to keep me interested regardless of bland environments. However, this level of detail is something that I think the developers of Squad should probably be working towards, in the interest of selling the game, because it makes the game look much more interesting, professional, and immersive.

People make a choice to spend their money. They're more likely to spend the money on a product that looks really well polished, detailed, professional, and whatever. Adding detail that has no effect on the gameplay makes the game more enjoyable, which is important, but I think it makes the game way more marketable.

Every map has had a bunch of detail/quality passes in the past alpha releases. They all started out pretty bland. Al Basrah was created by two modders. Chancebrah afaik will add plenty of details here and there once the map plays as he wants. Editing existing models also takes time. Basically, just give the map more time before you judge, this is litterally the first version of it.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:18 PM, LaughingJack said:

so, add some roof clutter?  - coz that's the only real difference i see here.

other than that the PR screenies just show GFX that have more saturation and prolly a little more contrast - certainly far less definition - than the Squad screenies.

-Colors

-Signs

-Ladders

-Rails

-Worn textures

Just look at much one building varies from the one next to it! Look at the diversity in something as simple as guardrails. One of them is a wall with stylized etchings, one is a simple bars and pillars, I don't even really know how to describe the smaller balcony rails on the lower right image.

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

1 hour ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

-Colors

-Signs

-Ladders

-Rails

-Worn textures

Just look at much one building varies from the one next to it! Look at the diversity in something as simple as guardrails. One of them is a wall with stylized etchings, one is a simple bars and pillars, I don't even really know how to describe the smaller balcony rails on the lower right image.

Its great that you've got such a great eye for subtle details. Now focus that energy into the modding community as opposed to criticizing what has been accomplished thus far by everybody. 

When i created basrah i did so as a map modder, the buildings i out sourced to other modders such as Axton, Assifuah and Stom.

We choose to make buildings to the likeness of PRs but our own.

We had no idea of performance and such so making them somewhat simple was the best idea, we could of added random objects like aircons and solar panels but again no idea of performance at the time. I could probably go ahead and add those objects to the current version of the map we are playing but would you rather that or the urban area expanded?........ expanded :D

We choose to use textures straight from the SDK itself so the design of the buildings came back to what textures we had access to.

I choose to go for a overgrown / abandoned look as it was easier to do with the resources.

Squad basrah was never meant to be a 1:1 of PRs basrah, Its my representation of it.

As for the ladder comment you do understand that PRs basrah didnt have half as many accessible buildings, would you rather ladders or more accessible buildings?........ buildings :D

When basrah gets put into the SDk youll have all the time in the world to adjust it to your liking.

12 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

We choose to make buildings to the likeness of PRs but our own.

12 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Squad basrah was never meant to be a 1:1 of PRs basrah, Its my representation of it.

lol everytime the "It's not supposed to be PR!!!!" card is used its to excuse it being worse than PR.

2 hours ago, Sorta said:

lol everytime the "It's not supposed to be PR!!!!" card is used its to excuse it being worse than PR.

I think you're getting a little disrespectful to the creators. It's been very well explained as to why there's not as much extra clutter on the buildings.

And like i've said before, future versions of the map will be improved and more detailed versions, since Basbrah now basically knows what he's doing compared to when he first started working on the map as a modder.

On 10/06/2017 at 4:13 PM, ChanceBrahh said:

... i did so as a map modder, ...  the likeness of PRs, but our own. ... Its my representation of it.

totally agree Chance'. i'm of the same mind. anything i'm making is "my version of it" - close, but not a copy. detail and clutter can come down the track when we know just how much stuff we can throw at UE4 before it chucks a wobbly.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

-snip- detail and clutter can come down the track when we know just how much stuff we can throw at UE4 before it chucks a wobbly.

From time to time i still have to explain to the odd "new player" who just bought squad on special last month, complaining about how bland all the maps look in this game?

Im like, duuude pleeease...in CPA, we had ONE type/style of small red sea container scattered through-out the maps. Now look at them....so...yeah.

Since 67% of people who buy any PC game never visit the developers official forums....how would they ever know what to compare?

Got the stats somewhere. Graphs showing forum activity vs game time over the life of a given game. Interesting stuff. I'll see if i can find the link. Pretty sure it's on one of my old Joint Ops rigs.

4 hours ago, rulie said:

From time to time i still have to explain to the odd "new player" who just bought squad on special last month, complaining about how bland all the maps look in this game?

Im like, duuude pleeease...in CPA, we had ONE type/style of small red sea container scattered through-out the maps. Now look at them....so...yeah.

Since 67% of people who buy any PC game never visit the developers official forums....how would they ever know what to compare?

Got the stats somewhere. Graphs showing forum activity vs game time over the life of a given game. Interesting stuff. I'll see if i can find the link. Pretty sure it's on one of my old Joint Ops rigs.

I bought the game before vehicles were even mentioned by the developers you assuming carrot.

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

oh i didn't mean you man...i was talking about people who bought the game recently!

@rulie: yeah mate, know what ya mean. All good things . . . .

Assuming Carrot - lolz!

some peeps need to read before opening thier mouths ;)

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

@rulie: yeah mate, know what ya mean. All good things . . . .

Assuming Carrot - lolz!

some peeps need to read before opening thier mouths ;)

How was I supposed to know they were referring to a general people? And I've already been getting enough shit in this thread.

3 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

-snip-

ohh, sorry mate

i thought the " the odd "new player" who just bought squad on special last month " would have alerted you actually. No stress - it's all good.

;)

I expect that this map will have, bare minimum, the amount detailing and diversity that the PR version has further down the line.

Having lots of buildings you can enter is all well and good but it becomes a problem when it doesn't look like somebody actually lives there, it needs to be somewhat authentic.