YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Al Basrah feels Somewhat Empty?

4 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Those are on Gorodok and they are enterable too. I wonder whether glass will be destructible by the time Narva is released. Right now it's just a sound effect and a particle effect, but the glass doesn't disapear.

these?

6619edb88ede48d48f08cad0cc7c3b9c.png

If so that'd be unfortunate. Maybe this will be the last one then..

Might be nice to have some named streets decals added perhaps. 

أوفوورلد للصناعات Offworld Industries
شارع تشانسبر  ChanceBrahh street

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Oh no, not these, I meant the multistory ones.

Just flew around gorodok and even some of those appear to be partially enterable(top right with the red roofs near the chimney in the image above). So seems like the devs were already going for that anyway, which is good.

Edited by Chompster

On 6/3/2017 at 0:58 AM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

I really like the Al Basrah map currently and appreciate the effort that went into it. Although compared to PR, it just seems oddly desolate. I can't even quite place my finger on it. It feels like there aren't as many cables even though there are? (Are they just not as thick?) Lots of street signs in PR Al-Bah too. The buildings also seem more diverse and walls have a texture that looks worn out and fitting while Squad buildings looks very fresh and monocolor. I know there are plans of expansion for the map like with any other, will this be addressed?

Just FYI, if you've got all kinds of free time you can become part of the mod community and submit your work for approval and inclusion into the game.

4 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

This is squads first taste of 'urban' / 'city' warfare.

Its in some ways a testing platform for Narva to see what we can do with this style of mapping.

Ive been working on expanding basrah lately and as you can see in the update article i have expanded to the south around the insurgents current main and near those bridges to the west.

I do have plans to expand more but doing too much at once can cause issues, so when we release this expanded version id called it V2 and if we performance is all sweet then i will work on expanding to the east opening up a whole new side to the map and perhaps expanded the west alittle along that asphalt road. So far ive added alittle compound there which will be some fun for insurgency ^_^

txzT7G3.jpg

I like to think that this map paid respects to the PR version but was never meant to be a 1:1 copy, i wanted it to be mine.

Since the very beginning of creating this map ive looked out and listened to community suggestions and such and will continue to do so :D

PS: Buildings will likely never have furniture

Is there no feasible way to implement occlusion culling for interior objects?

2 minutes ago, Fourkillmaster said:

Culling volumes. I think it's just a matter of it being too tedious for the "benefit". Which would mostly be reduced performance and awkward movement in already small spaces.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Just FYI, if you've got all kinds of free time you can become part of the mod community and submit your work for approval and inclusion into the game.

Ya'll keep saying that like I can just casually

-Somehow afford whatever programs that would be needed 

-Be dedicated enough to use them

-Even know how to use them

-Have skills in texturing

-Have skills in freakin' 3D modeling

-Understand coding language that might as well be elvish

-Understand other technical gibberish

-Know how performance works and how things impact it

-Sound design

-Visual effects

I could go on and on!

Modding isn't something that any person can just pick up and "do."

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Ya'll keep saying that like I can just casually

-Somehow afford whatever programs that would be needed 

-Be dedicated enough to use them

-Even know how to use them

-Have skills in texturing

-Have skills in freakin' 3D modeling

-Understand coding language that might as well be elvish

-Understand other technical gibberish

-Know how performance works and how things impact it

-Sound design

-Visual effects

I could go on and on!

Modding isn't something that any person can just pick up and "do."

Don't underestimate your abilities. First of all the Unreal Editor is free as are many image editors and 3d software. I could easily negate all of your other excuses point by point but suffice it to say my 11 year old does mods for another game so you could probably apply yourself and contribute something. Case in point, others can correct me if I'm wrong but a player made an ammo crate that's used in the game.

Edited by Zylfrax791
Speeling

The only program that you would NEED for mapping Squad is the Squad Development Kit which is free and easy to use after getting a bit acquainted with it easy to use.
Afaik, Kokan was made with assets that were already in-game, so you absolutely don't need any programming or modeling/texturing skills, beyond a completely superficial understanding.
Further more there is already a huge modding community, if you have any questions etc - https://discord.gg/HVhmHSS

9 hours ago, Fourkillmaster said:

Look at the amount of rooms in each building, then look at how you'd have to make afew different types of interiors for the same building so it didnt just seem repetitive.

If are too busy worrying about furniture inside your not paying attention to the gameplay around you, the last thing i think of when on the 6th floor of the highrise building is 'a nice dinner table with 4 chairs would look nice right here over looking this wonderful view'

Lets say all the buildings have furniture can you imagine all the people complaining about.... i got stuck on a table or dam chair got in my way and i died blah blah blah

ohh and performance..................................................................

10 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

Lets say all the buildings have furniture can you imagine all the people complaining about.... i got stuck on a table or dam chair got in my way and i died blah blah blah

ohh and performance..................................................................

Lmfao... dem sticky trash bags ul git ya every time!

10 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

If are too busy worrying about furniture inside your not paying attention to the gameplay around you

This is a dumb excuse. Why bother having any detail in any map? Because it's details like this that add to the overall experience. If it's because of performance issues or because the devs can't model a table then that's understandable, but because it's distracting? Please.

Maybe you could close up a few rooms here and there. Have the buildings partially open, like half of the windows of each building instead of all of them. Then i think a simple sofa and table here and there wouldn't cause too many issues.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:35 AM, ChanceBrahh said:

This is squads first taste of 'urban' / 'city' warfare.

Its in some ways a testing platform for Narva to see what we can do with this style of mapping.

Ive been working on expanding basrah lately and as you can see in the update article i have expanded to the south around the insurgents current main and near those bridges to the west.

I do have plans to expand more but doing too much at once can cause issues, so when we release this expanded version id called it V2 and if we performance is all sweet then i will work on expanding to the east opening up a whole new side to the map and perhaps expanded the west alittle along that asphalt road. So far ive added alittle compound there which will be some fun for insurgency ^_^

txzT7G3.jpg

I like to think that this map paid respects to the PR version but was never meant to be a 1:1 copy, i wanted it to be mine.

Since the very beginning of creating this map ive looked out and listened to community suggestions and such and will continue to do so :D

PS: Buildings will likely never have furniture

You're a god among men

whelp

storytime

I'd like to think that the residents fled the upcoming battle.

They packed all their goods and chattels and left the city.

/storytime

good enough for me

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 minutes ago, beginna said:

whelp

storytime

I'd like to think that the residents fled the upcoming battle.

They packed all their goods and chattels and left the city.

/storytime

good enough for me

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the war is coming to my doorstep I'd be hella quick. You see all the time when stuff like that happens, there's more stuff left behind in houses because they left in such a hurry.

I'm with the devs on this one. I have never seen anybody complain about something so miniscule as nothing in the buildings. This is an online shooter, not Elder Scrolls Online. who gives a #$%$ if there isn't anything for me to get stuck on and launched into space or flipped under the map.

4 hours ago, *Ares* said:

I'm with the devs on this one. I have never seen anybody complain about something so miniscule as nothing in the buildings. This is an online shooter, not Elder Scrolls Online. who gives a #$%$ if there isn't anything for me to get stuck on and launched into space or flipped under the map.

(I never mentioned interiors?)

58 minutes ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Then what are you on about. Basrah is full of trash and shit on the outside.

I think some comparison screenshots are in order to give people an understanding of what constitutes the perceived "emptiness" of the squad version versus the PR version. 

The biggest point that I can think about that would make such a difference is in the variety of small statics that litter the maps. For example on PR there are a lot of small shack-like statics, as well as a variety of walls and air-conditioning units/water reservoirs on the roofs of buildings.

I haven't played squad in a few weeks but if I recall, there wasn't too much vegetation in the city in the squad version, perhaps that is an aspect as well? I'm going completely off my memory of just about 4 rounds on the map so I'm not the best source, but those are the best ideas I could come up with if I had to guess what is meant by the relative emptiness. 

11 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

I think some comparison screenshots are in order to give people an understanding of what constitutes the perceived "emptiness" of the squad version versus the PR version. 

The biggest point that I can think about that would make such a difference is in the variety of small statics that litter the maps. For example on PR there are a lot of small shack-like statics, as well as a variety of walls and air-conditioning units/water reservoirs on the roofs of buildings.

I haven't played squad in a few weeks but if I recall, there wasn't too much vegetation in the city in the squad version, perhaps that is an aspect as well? I'm going completely off my memory of just about 4 rounds on the map so I'm not the best source, but those are the best ideas I could come up with if I had to guess what is meant by the relative emptiness. 

"Perceived Emptiness" would be a 9 story building with 7-8 rooms per floor that is completely devoid of a single object of any kind for example. It totally doesn't bother me in the slightest but I could see people used to playing eye candy games like Skyrim & Fallout noticing it. Coming from playing the entire Delta Force series this just looks normal to me though.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

"Perceived Emptiness" would be a 9 story building with 7-8 rooms per floor that is completely devoid of a single object of any kind for example

That one is obvious enough, but just a few posts ago, the thread-starter (YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife) mentioned that he was not specifically referring to the inside of buildings. 

4 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Additionally, the empty interiors aren't perceived emptiness as much as actual emptiness :P

Just to remind everyone what was said at the start of the thread:

On 6/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

Although compared to PR, it just seems oddly desolate. I can't even quite place my finger on it. It feels like there aren't as many cables even though there are? (Are they just not as thick?) Lots of street signs in PR Al-Bah too. The buildings also seem more diverse and walls have a texture that looks worn out and fitting while Squad buildings looks very fresh and monocolor.

That is why I posted about the perceived emptiness, because to each person it's different. Having screenshots as examples for one's opinion allows for a baseline of discourse, in my opinion. 

Edited by Psyrus

10 hours ago, Peerun said:

Then what are you on about. Basrah is full of trash and shit on the outside.

I mentioned exterior wall textures that are lacking, power lines, and diversity in building design.