Jump to content
YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Al Basrah feels Somewhat Empty?

Recommended Posts

I really like the Al Basrah map currently and appreciate the effort that went into it. Although compared to PR, it just seems oddly desolate. I can't even quite place my finger on it. It feels like there aren't as many cables even though there are? (Are they just not as thick?) Lots of street signs in PR Al-Bah too. The buildings also seem more diverse and walls have a texture that looks worn out and fitting while Squad buildings looks very fresh and monocolor. I know there are plans of expansion for the map like with any other, will this be addressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the completely empty buildings I feel give it that empty feeling. The streets are fine for me with the detritus of human habitation but as soon as you enter any building, of which there are many, it's devoid of that human touch.

 

I love the map though and only see it getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a curious case wherein the technology is far ahead of PR, but the design isn't. So we have lots of open buildings, windows, doors, etc, but at the same time they feel strange because they are all empty, unlike with BF2's preset open buildings with furniture and all. 

 

However I would just be patient, because the map is quite simply not the definitive version yet, as we already saw in the recent update, the Devs are working to expand and improve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PR is "finished" product and SQUAD is in alpha stage, for me alpha is like demo of the game. So be patience and take you're part in building the game :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performance performance performance. Could easily add props and dress building interiors, could easily make a vertex paint material for the buildings to add more detail as well.. but that would definitely impact performance! That's a lot of buildings.. and even more props and material elements.

 

Personally, having made some of the buildings, I now know what I can push further in the future. They're pretty simple buildings, but that's where you have to start if you don't know how much it would affect performance at such large quantities for so many players. The devs are pulling it off with Narva and the Eastern European kits though, so there's a lot to be learned from them as well.

 

Maps will improve more and more. Although the tech is far ahead as FelipeFritschF mentioned, the general design might not be because there's a lot of unexplored territory with this kind of game. You have to make maps and buildings to learn what you can and can't do and what you can push further, only then can you improve upon it. Go look at earlier versions of Logar, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Assifuah said:

Performance performance performance. Could easily add props and dress building interiors, could easily make a vertex paint material for the buildings to add more detail as well.. but that would definitely impact performance! That's a lot of buildings.. and even more props and material elements.

 

Personally, having made some of the buildings, I now know what I can push further in the future. They're pretty simple buildings, but that's where you have to start if you don't know how much it would affect performance at such large quantities for so many players. The devs are pulling it off with Narva and the Eastern European kits though, so there's a lot to be learned from them as well.

 

Maps will improve more and more. Although the tech is far ahead as FelipeFritschF mentioned, the general design might not be because there's a lot of unexplored territory with this kind of game. You have to make maps and buildings to learn what you can and can't do and what you can push further, only then can you improve upon it. Go look at earlier versions of Logar, you'll see exactly what I mean.

 

Advances in technology is what is holding us back, how sardonically paradoxical.

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One always compares the Old to the New but as one who's never participated with PR,I'll never know.

I've never looked at games for its finer details but the playability & having a enjoyable fun experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Your comparing oranges and apples.  PR maps ididnt have as much detail as you think you remember. It's a lot starker, to much internal details will always be limited  with current hardware One day it will be perfect, hope to see that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Smee said:

 Your comparing oranges and apples.  PR maps ididnt have as much detail as you think you remember. It's a lot starker, to much internal details will always be limited  with current hardware One day it will be perfect, hope to see that day.

 

I watched a video of PR while I wrote this, there's definitely a difference ATM.

Edited by YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no slums that's the issue. It's just one big apartment block with no real peripheries to speak of except the part around the western bridge, which is more like shops or official buildings something.
I hope the western desert becomes more populated and the city gets more of a gradual look in regards to height. Even just taking the western half of Sumari and pasting it west of the north to south bridge on Basrah, would work. No idea about performance impact ofc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its pretty obvious they are still working on aL Basrah with the additions of the new areas. The things you speak of are the icing on the cake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they said that they'll be expanding it soon, I assume that's why this thread got made in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, [SFW]Xenderz said:

Would like dev to add a level sign to the buildings' stairways. Many times  I get lost how high we are in the building.

 

Sure, as long as they're in arabic numerals :P

 

http://www.softschools.com/languages/arabic/numbers_1_10_in_arabic/

Arabic Numeral Transcription Arabic Name English Numeral
٠ Sifr صفر 0
١ waaHid وا حد 1
٢ ithnaan إثنان 2
٣ thalaatha ثلاثة 3
٤ arbi3a أربعة 4
٥ khamsa خمسة 5
٦ sitta ستّة 6
٧ sab3a سبعة 7
٨ thamaaniya ثامنية 8
٩ tis3a تعسة 9
١٠ 3ashara عشرة 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Psyrus said:

 

Sure, as long as they're in arabic numerals :P

 

http://www.softschools.com/languages/arabic/numbers_1_10_in_arabic/

Arabic Numeral Transcription Arabic Name English Numeral
٠ Sifr صفر 0
١ waaHid وا حد 1
٢ ithnaan إثنان 2
٣ thalaatha ثلاثة 3
٤ arbi3a أربعة 4
٥ khamsa خمسة 5
٦ sitta ستّة 6
٧ sab3a سبعة 7
٨ thamaaniya ثامنية 8
٩ tis3a تعسة 9
١٠ 3ashara عشرة 10

I like how 9 is just 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the map was also made mostly by one guy, is a first release which is clearly intended to be altered and improved.

Putting in too much detail early is a waste of time in most cases. If nearly every building is going to be rebuilt and optimised then any time spent putting carpets and tables around rooms is wasted.

 

Although it is based on the PR version the gameplay speed and assets available in Squad may make it necessary to alter a huge number of elements even to the point of changing the width or length of streets or moving spawns (as they have mentioned).

 

Gun height, crouch and jump height, passing space for 1, 2 or more players. All these things might require adjustment and require large areas to be reworked. Detail comes last.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is squads first taste of 'urban' / 'city' warfare.

Its in some ways a testing platform for Narva to see what we can do with this style of mapping.

 

Ive been working on expanding basrah lately and as you can see in the update article i have expanded to the south around the insurgents current main and near those bridges to the west.

I do have plans to expand more but doing too much at once can cause issues, so when we release this expanded version id called it V2 and if we performance is all sweet then i will work on expanding to the east opening up a whole new side to the map and perhaps expanded the west alittle along that asphalt road. So far ive added alittle compound there which will be some fun for insurgency ^_^

 

txzT7G3.jpg

 

I like to think that this map paid respects to the PR version but was never meant to be a 1:1 copy, i wanted it to be mine.

 

Since the very beginning of creating this map ive looked out and listened to community suggestions and such and will continue to do so :D

PS: Buildings will likely never have furniture

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally hope we never get another map with as many enterable buildings again, at least not 100% enterable, after having played Al-Basrah. Opened up a bunch of gameplay and balance quirks, not to mention i'd choose performance and variety of full accessibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chompster said:

I personally hope we never get another map with as many enterable buildings again, at least not 100% enterable, after having played Al-Basrah. Opened up a bunch of gameplay and balance quirks, not to mention i'd choose performance and variety of full accessibility. 


Too late. Narva incoming. Get ready for fashion shop superFOBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peerun said:


Too late. Narva incoming. Get ready for fashion shop superFOBs.

I dont know about that, from the screenshots it looks to be more of a mix. There are definitely buildings with closed windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chompster said:

I dont know about that, from the screenshots it looks to be more of a mix. There are definitely buildings with closed windows.


Those are on Gorodok and they are enterable too. I wonder whether glass will be destructible by the time Narva is released. Right now it's just a sound effect and a particle effect, but the glass doesn't disapear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Psyrus said:

 

Sure, as long as they're in arabic numerals :P

 

http://www.softschools.com/languages/arabic/numbers_1_10_in_arabic/

Arabic Numeral Transcription Arabic Name English Numeral
٠ Sifr صفر 0
١ waaHid وا حد 1
٢ ithnaan إثنان 2
٣ thalaatha ثلاثة 3
٤ arbi3a أربعة 4
٥ khamsa خمسة 5
٦ sitta ستّة 6
٧ sab3a سبعة 7
٨ thamaaniya ثامنية 8
٩ tis3a تعسة 9
١٠ 3ashara عشرة 10

 

 

There is no Arabic writing anywhere on the map. If anything, they should style it like all of the rest of their stylized signs. English, but in an Arabic like script. Then again, not sure it's even really needed, we can always count :D

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×