MurrayXIIV

Map Makers - Now Zad

Hello all!

First timer here. Looked around and didn't see anything that resembled a request area for custom maps.

Anyways, long story short, I spent time in the Now Zad district in Helmand province some years back. It's got some really condensed compound areas, green zones, open ground, and some terrain features here and there. Given the absolute nightmare that it was for offensive operations, for Squad, I believe it would be a prime basis for a map.

Now, my question is, would anyone be willing to undergo this challenge? Unfortunately my skillsets don't include map making in the slightest.

I can provide (some) personal reference imagery for the area, and help with identifying villages, prior base locations (Don't worry, they are all long gone, no OPSEC issues there), etc.

Unfortunately google earth's map of the area stays pretty far out so it's hard to zoom in close enough to REALLY good reference. Alot of the smaller paths, wall heights, etc. get lost in the image.

After seeing the crazy detailed map of the Korengal, I'm hoping this can be something someone attempts down the road.

Thanks!

Also, just a sample of the reference imagery so everyone can get a rough idea of what the area looks like.

Valley Overview (most of it)

Screenshot%2064_zpsw1ysxnkn.png

District center (DC)

Screenshot%2065_zpsi3hzi2mg.png

fields northeast of DC

164841_1687553702589_1905143_n_zpstsnbfy

Footpath: Greenzone village

156381_1687561382781_1994441_n_zpsy9bkai

Facing S/SE from satellite OP

58733_1606326637124_8135586_n_zpsqnwg76n

Road in DC

58349_1606297356392_3446957_n_zpsjaqjk6t

Village outskirts NE of DC

164548_1687576383156_5226251_n_zps8np8jg

Hey man, what unit were you with?  2/3?

As for the map, we already have some maps that feel very similar to this. Depending on how you look at it, that's one of the "good things" about the Afghan battle space and how it could be brought into the game; they all look the same! More or less ;)  I could bring in photos from Sangin, Kajaki, or Musa Quala and they would all have that same "Helmand feel".

Look at ChoraKohat Toi, or  Logar Valley to see what I mean.

oh yeah I know it man. Just "similar feel" and "actual old AO" are two different levels of awesome :D haha

But no I was with 1/2 for that pump, then with 2/9 afterwards

Old mad Mike Manning, saving the day one escaped detainee at a time ;) I was in 1/2 too haha but I was out in Musa Qala then cross decked to 1/6; best decision ever.

Anyhow, I know what you mean. In that way, making a (C)Now Zad map may be one the easier maps too make as most of the assets for that region are already made. That being said, I would imagine that making a map like that would only be exciting to you and other Now Zad vets because it's your old AO. To anyone else, it's just another Afghan village map.

Might be a good place to jump in and try making the map yourself. THAT would be pretty cool. A map made by someone who was there. In any case, this is just my two cents, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Welcome to the forums btw.

oh damn dude! hahaha small world!  Maybe I'll look into trying this out myself. Worst case, it turns out horribly and at least I can say that I tried.