Catindabox

Please no shovel melee

I can already see all of the solo people and troll squads just running around with shovels contributing nothing to the team. Not that I don't think it would be fun to have, but it goes against the idea of gameplay that Squad aims to achieve. I wonder how many times an enemy has actually been killed in hand-to-hand combat with a shovel anyway, it wouldn't make sense to see people trying to do it here.

This really doesn't warrant a thread. Shovel squads ruining games is not a serious concern.

@Catindabox Probably right about nowadays.  I dont know if that is part of training running into a building with a shovel out? Anyone know if military trains soldiers to use their shovels for hand to hand? But in ww1 probably thousands. Supposedly they sharpened their entrenchment tools for combat and used them literally like swords. Bayonets often got stuck, broke off or were not as effective.

@wingman9 That would make an amazing youtube series. haha

Edited by madcat768

5 hours ago, wingman9 said:

This really doesn't warrant a thread. Shovel squads ruining games is not a serious concern.

Lol you just described a serious concern, that breaks gameplay

this is a great suggestion/idea thanks for sharing

im starting a new clan called DIG (d!cks in gumboots) we only use shovels.

see you in your favourite server, ill be sure to join your team :P

Guess we should remove weapons aswell then, because they can be used to teamkill your own team which completely goes against the idea of gameplay that Squad aims to achieve.:P:P

Seriously though, I cant see this becoming an issue, especially not on a reputable server with active admins ^_^

18 minutes ago, sweeziee said:

Guess we should remove weapons aswell then, because they can be used to teamkill your own team which completely goes against the idea of gameplay that Squad aims to achieve.:P:P

Very intelligent and clearly relevant response. Definitely has to do with the subject of shovels.

I thought the majority of this community was supposed to be mature, clear minded individuals, but it seems every logical point is just manipulated for no reason.

hqdefault.jpg

Shovel melee goes way back when we were apes.  The very first ape probably used a bone shovel, he practiced diligently on the shattered remains of animal bones to break open the bone marrow which was a delicacy in its time.  Reaching to today we still have that instinct to wanna whap someone over the head to get that marrow, you might say its in our DNA now.  The very first weapon of ape man.  Now its just a debate issue on whether to add to the entertainments of gaming in a war time scenerio.  The instict of mans first step into making implements of protection, war, and survival.  Tools that shaped the ideas that became what is todays internet.  :)

20 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Very intelligent and clearly relevant response. Definitely has to do with the subject of shovels.

I thought the majority of this community was supposed to be mature, clear minded individuals, but it seems every logical point is just manipulated for no reason.

Not only was it mainly meant as a joke, but it kinda is relevant to the subject in the sense that it's possible to twist just about anything in the game to make it look bad for gameplay. That was just a mere example.

There's plenty of mechanics/features/assets that can be abused in-game, yet we don't see much of it except for the occasional troll every now and then, and that's  because they're being dealt with by an admin, and that's the end of it. 

So just like I said in the part that you left out of my quote, I don't see how shovels (or melee in general) in any shape or form would ruin the gameplay except for maybe the first week or so after release, but that's something that will happen to everything new getting released in the game, thus it's to be expected. 

TLDR; Might cause a bit of problems the first week or so after release, and that will be dealt with by server admins

Edited by sweeziee

The first squads main tactical weapon, was the forerunner of todays shovel.

main-qimg-71d72c3f38ad13c3c56483e3ad34e6

See here pictured above.  Will we see this in todays game?  Maybe, perhaps, but bringing shovels to a gun fight will not end well for a squad bearing only the first tactical weapon of ape-man.  They would be utterly destroyed.  Today it can only be used as a stealth weapon or close combat weapon where there is no time to aim or hold a gun to aim.  So, in summary I do not think we will see full on squads bearing the first weapon of ape-man, running arround trolling people from behind like angry hooligans.  In closing Id like to say the apes of today seem more clever and resort now to symbolism rather than the raising of shovels, but then again Planet of the Apes is going to war in the next film release.  Insert pic of ape flipping the bird here.

Edited by XRobinson

20 hours ago, madcat768 said:

@Catindabox Probably right about nowadays.  I dont know if that is part of training running into a building with a shovel out? Anyone know if military trains soldiers to use their shovels for hand to hand? But in ww1 probably thousands. Supposedly they sharpened their entrenchment tools for combat and used them literally like swords. Bayonets often got stuck, broke off or were not as effective.

https://www.full30.com/video/ace5417ce327d3e4b27cc6c29607995b

Check out the rest of the videos too, excellent channel.

1) Without shovel, how do we kill enemy without making a sound?

2) Once we ran out of ammo for our guns, how do we protect ourselves?

12 minutes ago, Dennisz125 said:

1) Without shovel, how do we kill enemy without making a sound?

2) Once we ran out of ammo for our guns, how do we protect ourselves?

You use the butt of your rifle like the animation was shown for, or a knife/bayonet. Having something like a shovel turned into a weapon makes it more of a goal for a troll to use unlike something traditional.

I'm excited for shovel melee. I hated not being able to use the shovel as a weapon if someone came by while I was shoveling a sandbag. Idiots running around with shovels trying to kill people in a normal game is a non-issue for servers with active admins, which is what all servers should have.

13 minutes ago, ZachTheGunner said:

I'm excited for shovel melee. I hated not being able to use the shovel as a weapon if someone came by while I was shoveling a sandbag. Idiots running around with shovels trying to kill people in a normal game is a non-issue for servers with active admins, which is what all servers should have.

What were you doing shoveling in an active combat situation with enemies danger close? You could have had teammates covering you. Do you really think you're going to charge and kill the guy who's ambushed you and shooting at you with an assault rifle without dying first? 

33 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

What were you doing shoveling in an active combat situation with enemies danger close? You could have had teammates covering you. Do you really think you're going to charge and kill the guy who's ambushed you and shooting at you with an assault rifle without dying first? 

Digging a FOB.....being covered by a teammate. That enemy maybe preoccupied with my teammate but I might not have enough time to fold up my shovel and put it away, pull out my weapon, cock and check it when I could just rush him and bash his head in.

39 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

It never happened but I hate the idea that if an enemy snuck in I wouldn't be able to just smack him with the sharp side of the shovel.

2 minutes ago, ZachTheGunner said:

It never happened but I hate the idea that if an enemy snuck in I wouldn't be able to just smack him with the sharp side of the shovel.

I see where you're coming from, but the inclusion of this as a weapon would come with a diluting of the type of gameplay Squad is aiming for.

You're not meant to be a one man Army that has balls of steel and can survive every circumstance that's thrown at you by yourself. You should have to rely on your teammate and not find yourself in stupid enough of a situation where you're charging people with a shovel; not only throwing a ticket away, but making it less likely that a medic will be able to reach your body. I'm pretty sure in real life I'm not going to find soldiers trying to get close enough to an enemy or doing stupid enough of actions that they're seeking to kill people with a shovel- but I can already see people running through CQB maps with shovels charging people.

There is no reason people shouldn't be able to hit eachother with shovels. I can't stand the idea of restricting people. More options is better than less, I don't care if some people will abuse it, the server admins on good servers will deal with it.

2 minutes ago, ZachTheGunner said:

There is no reason people shouldn't be able to hit eachother with shovels. I can't stand the idea of restricting people. More options is better than less, I don't care if some people will abuse it, the server admins on good servers will deal with it.

What, so now they'd have to monitor everyone using a shovel and constantly be checking reports of people running around the map trying to kill people with one?

Just now, Catindabox said:

What, so now they'd have to monitor everyone using a shovel and constantly be checking reports of people running around the map trying to kill people with one?

Why do you even think that would be common? I never even had a single thought that anyone would seriously try and do that when I heard about shovel melee. I come from project reality though and haven't played a mainstream game like battlefield in over 5 years so maybe I have a different perspective. Project reality had knives and no one ever abused them in the way you were thinking. Only during slow games when we were trying to pop did we ever screw around with knives.

What's the deal? Don't like it, don't use it.

Don't like other people using it? Find a server with like minded individuals. Join a clan, be a part of the community. Problem solved.

If people want to break teamplaying, be trolls or a nuisance on the server they'll do that any way they can find. Can't develop a game in fear of people misbehaving.