2 minutes ago, LugNut said:

Here's how it will play out once the novelty wears off. 

The most common usage will be, you're digging away and an enemy walks around the corner. You swing away wildly hoping to either take him down or to distract him long enough for one of your teammates to shoot him. Which will be far better than now, where you stand there like an idiot while he shoots you.

Next, will be those glorious solo kills where you sneak up on the unsuspecting enemy and beat him to death just to make a point.

Silly melee battles just for the hell of it. 

All have their place and won't change the "realism" aspect of the game in any significant way,  it will make it more fun though. 

That's a very good description of how I see it going. Those silly melee battle happening as the server is seeding because it's a great mess around time. 

Most modern weapons today are lighter as well as more fragile than they used to be and using them as melee weapons is discouraged. They might be okay for a couple of strokes, but I certainly doubt they'd survive enough strokes before you managed to club someone to death/incapacitation with them. 

Also you don't see Valve disabling the crouch key and/or the spy class and/or the disguise kit in TF2 when the conservation status of the spycrab was considered "least concern."

Edited by CaptCalvin

On 5/31/2017 at 11:23 AM, Catindabox said:

I can already see all of the solo people and troll squads just running around with shovels contributing nothing to the team. Not that I don't think it would be fun to have, but it goes against the idea of gameplay that Squad aims to achieve. I wonder how many times an enemy has actually been killed in hand-to-hand combat with a shovel anyway, it wouldn't make sense to see people trying to do it here.

Don't be a destroyer of fun bro. Squad is about realism. Watch your back and listen for footsteps and shoot the melee peeps. I nagged so hard here for melee weapons over the last year that it got me a stern talking to so don't blow it for us melee trolls please.

embecmom   

personally think melee with shovel is just plain stupid... maybe smash the rifle butt in or go to bayonette but getting out the shovel. .. (it might help when digging a radio etc).. think there are more important updates than providing this.. seems devs get a little distracted sometimes with stuff that in all honesty adds little.. (bird sounds in forest / moveable window in btr).. 

lots coming in v10 is great.. personally would like to have seen better small arms placement on windows/ground/corners ... 

52 minutes ago, embecmom said:

seems devs get a little distracted sometimes with stuff that in all honesty adds little.. (bird sounds in forest / moveable window in btr).. 

I totally disagree. In fact I think there aren't nearly enough ambient nature sounds in the maps. I come from a background of playing the Delta Force series and the map editor in those games had an amazing amount of little sounds that you could distribute throughout your entire map. They really added to the immersive nature of the environment in my opinion.

Cheetah   

Have nothing against 'shovel melee' in this game, but if devs choose this way they should implement bayonets and knives first.

Next. IMHO the speed that persona in the game having to switch his primary weapon to pistol (up to 3-4 seconds) giving to him no one chance to use 'shovel melee' in ingame skirmish.

Icedeath   

The melee is worrying concept in Squad, the net code is no where near perfect or even good, with 60-80 ping I have seen in CQB how I shot half of mag into enemies shoulder with blood and stuff but he is just totally oky, with this kind of problems with hit detection (extremely dependent on the specific server, but 80 player servers always have this problems) a guy in the building with the shovel might just end up close to best weapon, it depends on exact mechanics of melee attack. 

Melee attack should be in game but it has to be bad enough so that people use it only in very specific circumstances, dont make it like some R6 Siege where sometimes the guy will knife you before your shots register on him. 

embecmom   
21 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I totally disagree. In fact I think there aren't nearly enough ambient nature sounds in the maps. I come from a background of playing the Delta Force series and the map editor in those games had an amazing amount of little sounds that you could distribute throughout your entire map. They really added to the immersive nature of the environment in my opinion.

I'm not against them adding bird sounds, but when its supposedly Alpha/early access there is no need to be distracted with such things..getting v 10 out in a better state is more important.. helicopter/better movement mechanics/fireteams etc.. these are the things that will enhance the game to a different level.. not birds or shovel combat.

Actually shovel melee will be good when trying to populate a server as both teams can meet at the center objective and play "shovels only" until the server fills up.

On 6/7/2017 at 1:19 PM, Cheetah said:

Next. IMHO the speed that persona in the game having to switch his primary weapon to pistol (up to 3-4 seconds) giving to him no one chance to use 'shovel melee' in ingame skirmish.

Rifle to pistol transition time has been timed by multiple sources and confirmed by the devs to be at 2.0 seconds, maybe 2.1

narubius   

I just don't want melee friendly fire. I think it will cause a lot of problems and ruin the game. Especially if shovel melee is triggered by the same key that digging is.

XAHTEP39   

Shovel melee is good but very situational, it need to change weapon - it require time and animation process .

I will be happy if the rifle butt kick/poke rifle barrel (for rifles with weak butt and without bayonet) would implemented in SQUAD without changing weapon , just press certain key for you weapon and kick! Maybe not "oneshot" kick.

suds   

Perhaps the melee against a friendly can be made to be gentle? Or just make a noise? If it has much effect at all it will be abused even if it is funny most of the time.

Para   
On 11/06/2017 at 8:59 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Actually shovel melee will be good when trying to populate a server as both teams can meet at the center objective and play "shovels only" until the server fills up.

Exactly why i dont want it, squad is not a kids game.

Voice   

It's gonna be so annoying with all the kiddies trying to melee in a shooter game (

CptDirty   

I'm on the fence.

Squad Leader Role doesn't have a shovel because it would be too over powered but the rest of the 8 guys in that squad can use the shovel to build and also as a melee weapon? 

Was the main reason to add melee shovels was to give builders, who are shoveling emplacements and structures on a friendly FOB, a quicker way to subdue an enemy? If so then at the very least the Squad Leader who placed those things down for his members to build MUST provide cover until those structures are built. This is the definition of team play and cooperation. One covering another. 

From personal experience:

- Times an enemy was within melee radius as I was building a structure = 5%.

- Times an enemy was further than melee radius as I was building a structure = 95%.

embecmom   
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

if that's your thing... but again didn't see much on the forums  for shovel melee or bird song yet its in the game ... when people complain about game mechanics, hit boxes, optimisation etc.. and some fan boy jumps in with the 'Its Alpha'.. Ill just point them in the direction of the important updates like shovel melee... 

What would be cool, is if you could use shovels to make actual Fox holes, and dig real tunnels; imagine digging a trench line, or even digging a tunnel under a building or under barriers.  Someday Batman someday...

like-digging-a-foxhole-a.jpg

Edited by XRobinson

CptDirty   
1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

What would be cool, is if you could use shovels to make actual Fox holes, and dig real tunnels; imagine digging a trench line, or even digging a tunnel under a building or under barriers.  Someday Batman someday...

like-digging-a-foxhole-a.jpg

YES PLEASE!!!

Although I'm not sure how that will be possible as we're not building on top of the terrain but instead modifying the ground. If this is a tangible then YES PLEASE!!!

Can you imagine having an entire squad dig fox holes in a forest on a cap point like in North Novo on Yahorivka? :D