Catindabox

Please no shovel melee

I'm going to agree with others, this is a non-issue. The thought that servers trying to populate can find a way to make the game fun while they wait for other players I'm all behind. This is, sadly, one of those games that sucks with any less than 30 players considering the size of the maps.

Fighting with short e-tools was common in Soviet army during WWII. I'm guessing because the Germans had bayonets shaped like a knife, so they could use those in close quarters, whereas the Mosin bayo is kinda hard to use without the rifle (and with the rifle, it ends up looking like pole vaulting aid). OTOH, Soviet E-tools (which I think is what we have in game for everyone but Americans) were just the right length and balance to chop someone's head off.

Cold Steel even made a copy of the famous shovel to celebrate this practice. Note how their shovel is essentially the same thing we see in game, only sharpened.

So, in conclusion, having more options is better than less. There are multiple ways of dealing with tons of people using the shovel as a weapon.

Day of Defeat had shovels, and to my knowledge there was never any shovels only servers or shovel only games played, there was guys going around with shovels, but they were rare and not rampent trolls messing up gameplay, they usually just got a few and then were shot.4-1024_802.jpg

8 hours ago, Catindabox said:

I see where you're coming from, but the inclusion of this as a weapon would come with a diluting of the type of gameplay Squad is aiming for.

It's funny you say that, since it was entirely a developer decision to include the shovel melee, with the potential gameplay consequences having been considered (unless you regard yourself as more intelligent than the devs?)... so the logical conclusion is that it perhaps dilutes the type of gameplay that Catindabox is aiming for, but by definition is the type of gameplay that Squad is aiming for, since the Squad developers are the ones who included it. :)

Edit: And for the record, I also think you're making a mountain of a molehill, but I do understand your aversion to the implementation of this rather superfluous feature. But we have to remember it's not a hardcore milsim, and we should welcome some "fun" parts to the game as well

Edited by Psyrus

16 hours ago, suds said:

this is a great suggestion/idea thanks for sharing

im starting a new clan called DIG (d!cks in gumboots) we only use shovels.

see you in your favourite server, ill be sure to join your team :P

how do I join?

But seriously there will be times and situations and people that have a bit of fun with shovels, but I am sure the game and community can handle this situation. 

Squad will dig it's way outta this one no problem.

1 hour ago, Ghost Assassin said:

Definitely going to try for stealth kills.

Unfortunately because dead people can talk in this game, there is no such thing as a stealth kill :( 

3 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Unfortunately because dead people can talk in this game, there is no such thing as a stealth kill :( 

You should remember that applies to every game there is. Players always have opportunity to use 3rd party VoIP communications. Atleast shovel kill 'might be' more stealthly that putting a half a clip of rounds to enemy.

8 minutes ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

You should remember that applies to every game there is. Players always have opportunity to use 3rd party VoIP communications.

Do you posit that those "other" games have the same level (%) of VOIP communicating players as Squad does? In a small group on discord is pretty different from every squad member in every squad being able to communicate while dead at the push of a button ;) 

10 minutes ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

Atleast shovel kill 'might be' more stealthly that putting a half a clip of rounds to enemy.

It certainly is more stealthy than shooting them, but it can't really be considered a stealth kill because that generally implies that the kill will go unnoticed by other enemies, right?

50 minutes ago, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

You are hanging it to semantics now, but you are correct on your statements.

Considering that it doesn't tell you how you died nor where you were killed from it's pretty much as close as you can get to a stealth kill in MP games other than there being an actual stealth mechanic.

I think my preferred method will be hiding in a doorway waiting to bash someone's face in.

Hmm..

Personally, i get the ability to use the shouvel as a weapon as sometimes when you are building and an enemy is near we have to go through the hole animation system of putting it away before animation of getting a weapon out. I get it.

However for me personally, I would of preferred rifle butt kill, or bayonet kills, it's more in keeping with the game, or Tomahawk mils spec axe.

There will be idiots who run around with just shovels for youtube laughs, but this faze , just like the idiots who tk everytime there is a sale will come to pass.

I wish the Squad community would police it's self a little more like the PR community. 

55 minutes ago, Para said:

I wish the Squad community would police it's self a little more like the PR community. 

I think it really depends on the server you are playing on, I know that EXODUS is mostly really well administrated as an example, trolls/griefers/cheaters.... will get kicked/banned really fast.

Discord is such an awesome program for server "communities" for that matter, you will always find an admin that can help with any problems if they are not on the server on that very moment. (I know for a fact that a lot of Squad server´s/clan´s/communities do use Discord a lot)

Because of that I don´t think there will ever be a huge problem with melee trolls in Squad.

I cant Count how many Times i wished a melee weapon.
If you Flank and you have a Chance for a silent kill you can only fire ATM.

groundbreaking-shovels.jpg

Which shovel is the best?  Short stubby, flat long, handle no handle, pointy, or square pan, choose your weapon wisely.

On 2017-5-31 at 8:23 PM, Catindabox said:

I can already see all of the solo people and troll squads just running around with shovels contributing nothing to the team. Not that I don't think it would be fun to have, but it goes against the idea of gameplay that Squad aims to achieve. I wonder how many times an enemy has actually been killed in hand-to-hand combat with a shovel anyway, it wouldn't make sense to see people trying to do it here.

In World War 1 shovels and other small hand-held things like clubs seemed very popular, especially as the war dragged on and people became more proficient at trench assaults. Not likely to happen here but it's nice to have a backup when you run dry entirely. 

On that note, I would love some fixable bayonets! 

55 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

groundbreaking-shovels.jpg

Which shovel is the best?  Short stubby, flat long, handle no handle, pointy, or square pan, choose your weapon wisely.

You forgot the nun-chuck shovel

shovel.jpg

Here's how it will play out once the novelty wears off. 

The most common usage will be, you're digging away and an enemy walks around the corner. You swing away wildly hoping to either take him down or to distract him long enough for one of your teammates to shoot him. Which will be far better than now, where you stand there like an idiot while he shoots you.

Next, will be those glorious solo kills where you sneak up on the unsuspecting enemy and beat him to death just to make a point.

Silly melee battles just for the hell of it. 

All have their place and won't change the "realism" aspect of the game in any significant way,  it will make it more fun though.