tyler2

Steps of the enemy cannot be heard

31 posts in this topic

I play the Squad at a fairly high volume, I am slightly deafened by the sounds of shooting, but I do not really hear the adversary's moves coming from the back.
In reality, the steps of the trained fighter during the march movement are heard at a distance of up to 40 meters, running about 70 meters, a slow step of about 10 meters.
1) There should not be ninjas in the game who silently get to you point-blank, I very often die out of it.
2) The volume of movement of the enemy should not decrease if shooting occurs nearby.
Please make the sound in the game normal, my character should not be deaf. 

If we want to make this game more tactical and promote smart movement and using team mates to cover each other, making your movement very audible with all of your gear shaking around would be a good step.

I'd like to see less people Rambo running through compounds and flanking squads solo

Edited by Catindabox

i struggle to hear movement quite often, it depends on the surface they walk on i think.

Im am pretty sure the 3rd person sounds don't match the 1st person sounds. Certainly not the volume even at close range.

I definitely agree that the solo-dolo ninjas running around with a full pack of M249 ammo boxes and their M249 in-hand should not be able to stealthily get behind you without you hearing even the slightest jangle of their 5.56 belts.

Sometimes I can hear people so clear and get the drop on them, other times....I turn around only to get an AK to the face without having heard a sound. I think it does depend on the surface. Wading through water for instance is so loud and can give away a position very easily. Walking in buildings is loud for me as well. I think it might also depend on audio settings.

Obviously headphones make almost a 100% difference. But the settings within your audio control panel can have a great affect as well. I am an audiophile and I always adjust my sounds according to the games I play. Your enemies footsteps may be being heard, however if your EQ and other settings are not tweaked properly it is very easy to have them drowned out. For instance if you have 7.1 Dolby surround in your headphone settings, that might not be the best because it gives more "space" for the footsteps to be played in. If you play in 2.1 in your headphones the sounds have less "space" to find and they will come in louder and clearer.

I find that it's mostly unnecessary squad comm chatter that drowns out footsteps. Keep it in local chat guys if you must.

I can hear enemies easily around me 360 degrees, but you need a good sound card. I think the range is a bit close though and players could be louder but only when sprinting or if they are carrying heavy gear. I think we need to soften the sounds if a player is using the walk command, because when it is just me and one other player in a room with no nearby firefighrs going on, you can VERY EASILY hear when they are moving. We need both louder sounds for sprinting and softer sounds when slow walking.

The problem is not the loudness of the sound of the steps, it is the range at which they are heard. And the problem is not exactly in my audio card. Steps are clearly audible only a couple of meters away from you, then they simply disappear, ie in the game the incorrect intensity of attenuation of sounds with increasing range to the source of sound.

Doesnt need good sound card, try playing without comms-spam found in pubsquad. Footsteps indeed not loud enough in 1st person though. Must have headphones and really loud volume.

Anyway sound doesnt help you that much in this game, practice aiming then go run and gun. If dead respawn on omnipresent rallypoint and repeat. Try to play it a bit like red orchestra/rising storm 2. #InB4Triggered

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

^^^^ Sound makes all the difference. I don't know how you came up with that logic. Hearing footsteps of enemies is how you can easily get the drop on them. Works wonders for me.

I have regularly tweaked my sound settings and indeed set up and have been really surprised how good you can get it in terms of directional and distance sound.

I rarely if ever get snuck up on, but I do sneak up on many others!

Hours in game also helps, if you are willing to keep making adjustments.

I left true 5.1 surround sound and went back to stereo for Squad, the difference is significant in my opinion, I can process simpler, clearer sound better for sure. 5.1 was amazing in terms of immersion and effects but way to messy for me to process in terms of being effective in Squad.

There is still alot of adjustments to Squad sound to be made, an example is tracked vehicles sound range and volumes. But overall I have never experienced sound this good in a PC game.

I hear footsteps all the time, no idea what OP is on about. Just yesterday I heard footsteps and started talking in local to a guy who turned out to be an enemy, before I shot him.

Edited by 40mmrain

On 5/31/2017 at 10:04 AM, tyler2 said:

I play the Squad at a fairly high volume, I am slightly deafened by the sounds of shooting, but I do not really hear the adversary's moves coming from the back.
In reality, the steps of the trained fighter during the march movement are heard at a distance of up to 40 meters, running about 70 meters, a slow step of about 10 meters.
1) There should not be ninjas in the game who silently get to you point-blank, I very often die out of it.
2) The volume of movement of the enemy should not decrease if shooting occurs nearby.

I can hear Insurgents sneaking up behind me to place an IED/Mine whilst I'm sitting in a running Stryker so maybe it's your equipment.

On 31/05/2017 at 8:04 PM, tyler2 said:

I smell some surround sound technologies. Go to properties of your sound card and turn off all kinds of sound technologies there are(surround sound, upmix, downmix or anything like that). On my sound card it looks like this:

C45Kwez.png

Also, you're playing on Stereo. Go to control panel and make sure you have stereo selected in your settings(configure button instead of properties):

surround_sound_hs_win7_2.jpg

On 04/06/2017 at 1:23 AM, Chew_Kok_Long said:

Doesnt need good sound card

If you want to be good at Squad, you do.

On 04/06/2017 at 1:23 AM, Chew_Kok_Long said:

Anyway sound doesnt help you that much in this game

If you're bad, yes, sounds don't help you that much. But if you are a good player, sounds help a lot in this game.

To a topic starter I suggest to buy Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty with a Roccat Kave 5.1 headset if he wants to get a end-end(as good as you can currently get) sound gaming system. AFAIK, nothing can beat it at the moment:

card1.jpg

04032756-photo-roccat-kave-hp.jpg

There are 2 types of people:

1. Who weren't able to setup their 5.1 sound system properly, so they went back to stereo.

2. Who were able to setup their 5.1 sound system properly and now they enjoy 5.1 sound in Squad and have advantages, because 5.1 sound is better than stereo by definition.

I don't have any problems hearing enemies at far distances(sprinting, 20+ meters) with this setup. I am the guy who gives info about enemy vehicles approaching far away or infantries approaching(by sounds) pretty much all the time, because I start hearing them much faster than other people, because of my proper sound setup. And I'm not talking about publics where people are playing with bad sound solutions. I am talking about competitive tournament matches, where people actually spend tonns of money on their PC setups. Can anyone else say it about himself with their stereo setup? I don't think so. I'm not even able to provide any videos, because most of people have stereo and they wouldn't be able to understand, and YouTube down mixes 5.1 to stereo, anyway, which actually even destroys positional awareness in videos...

On 02/06/2017 at 8:23 PM, Beckhamius said:

I definitely agree that the solo-dolo ninjas running around with a full pack of M249 ammo boxes and their M249 in-hand should not be able to stealthily get behind you without you hearing even the slightest jangle of their 5.56 belts.

On the battlefield, when there is a constant .50 cal/14mm/CROWS/30mm/M4/AK spam 100-500m away? I don't think so. They should be able to sneak behind you, there are a lot of other much more louder sounds around you than steps and jangles of an enemy soldier.

Edited by Skul

5 hours ago, Skul said:

Can anyone else say it about himself with their stereo setup? I don't think so.

Skul, actually yes I can I regularly hear stuff before my clan mates.

5 hours ago, Skul said:

eren't able to setup their 5.1 sound system properly, so they went back to stereo.

You are correct i am one of the guys you describe above!

It is what it is, I have no doubt doing 5.1 as Skul describes is better than stereo. But how i have my stereo right now is more than good enough for me - I am happy.

@Skul Thats ridiculous, i got an X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional and its not that big of a difference at all- no matter the audio settings. Onboard sound will be fine in most cases, unless you get decent headphones aswell. And even then this better sound would give you just tiny hint of performance improvement.

You can believe in the power of sound as much as you want, if someone is simply a better overall player hes gonna kick ur butt. With onboard sound that a shitton of actual ESL pros use in any given other fps game.

Go play Rainbow Six Siege, thats actually a game where sound is more important than in squad. But even with all your crazy soundsettings people may rape you regardless. Its like this in every single fps game, soundwhoring doesnt turn a shit player into a pro.

Not trying to say you could compare both games, but talking about fps in general.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

6 hours ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

@Skul Thats ridiculous, i got an X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional and its not that big of a difference at all

With 'gaming' stereo headphones(gaming and stereo contradicts each other btw), sure. You forget that it is a 7.1 sound card and was meant to be used with 5.1/7.1 systems. The reasons I use it because my headset requires more powerful amplifier than integrated chips have.

I feel a difference between integrated chip and this PCI-E sound card. Difference is big enough to pay these $30 for that sound card.

no matter the audio settings.

Audio settings do make a difference, too. You just haven't figured out what settings to tweak(and I'm not gonna tell you).

Onboard sound will be fine in most cases

lol. obviously. Thanks, general Obvious. No one ever said everyone should go and start buying PCI-E sound cards. 

You can believe in the power of sound as much as you want, if someone is simply a better overall player hes gonna kick ur butt.

Another obvious stuff. Can you actually say something not obvious or wrong?

With onboard sound that a shitton of actual ESL pros use in any given other fps game.

Like, seriously, what kind of argument is that and what for... If majority do something, it doesn't mean it is the right way or the best way to do so.

Go play Rainbow Six Siege,

Nope.

thats actually a game where sound is more important than in squad.

May be. So what? There are probably hundreds of games where sounds are more important part of a game than in Squad.

But even with all your crazy soundsettings people may rape you regardless.

You gotta stop referring to people kicking my butts or rape me, even theoretically, use 'one' instead of 'you'. So far I am always the one doing kicks and rapes in Squad. And it isn't theoretical.

Its like this in every single fps game, soundwhoring doesnt turn a shit player into a pro.

Another obvious thing...

I would like to specify something. When I said that one need a 5.1+PCI-E Sound card to be a good player, I meant it as compared to himself. Compared to his version playing with stereo setup. When one plays with a proper 5.1 setup, he is a good player, compared to his mediocre version playing with stereo setup. That is not intuitive but that is what I had in mind when I wrote my previous post. Better hardware will make a player to play better.

I can usually hear people walking... insurgents wear sandals.. perhaps they are like slippers !... although the audio at times is a little screwy .. i.e the vehicles are far too loud .. I live near army base and training area and you cannot really hear any vehicles beyond 100 metres especially with other buildings in between..when in my house you wont hear anything until they are basically outside..   the chinooks and gunship are much louder funnily enough and can be heard at quite a distance...(yea I know they are not in the game yet but helo's are coming). 

On 06.06.2017 at 5:38 AM, Skul said:

Guys, I wrote in the first post the distance on which you can hear footsteps like in the real world for a reason, the game should also be. You are not going to do in the game the limitation on the range of visibility is 100 meters right? Therefore, it is unnecessary to limit the range of sound propagation, this is the same. A deaf soldier in the war has the same chances of survival as the blind. The game clearly understated the distance at which footsteps are heard in comparison with reality, and my equipment has nothing to do with it at all. Also I have suspicions that the volume of the sound of the steps decreases (it decreases automatically) when there are sounds of transport, shooting, or someone talking on the radio. It's about the fact that the sounds of footsteps just disappear when there are extraneous sounds. My equipment ASUS Xonar D2 audio card, ROCCAT Kave XTD 5.1 Analog and AKG K 550 headphones. I do not have a similar problem in ARMA, I always hear the adversary's moves there. A soldier weighs 30 kilograms more than an ordinary person and if he comes on brushwood or stones, he will be heard very far. The soldier has various equipment that makes noise when traveling, these sounds are absent in the game by the way.

@Skul May you please elaborate where your confidence in your own knowledge/skillset is coming from?

All that im getting from you is that youre a nutcase.

Im quite certain youre neither professional nor good in any given game at any point in time, Mr Dunning-Krueger.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Since they changed topic to attacking me personally and discussing my personality(again, as always), instead of actually discussing a topic of this thread:

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

@Skul May you please elaborate where your confidence in your own knowledge/skillset is coming from?

1. Playing Squad-alike games(classes, revives, capturing flags, vehicles, fighting for tickets and resources, destroying/controlling enemy main base and 'resource' vehicles) since C&C: Renegade(2002) and Battlefield 1942(2002).

2. Hours in Squad alone:

gZqCrOU.png

3. Developed the most ergonomic controls layout for Squad out there yet(AFAIK), from scratch:

DqlJPld.png

4. Made my own headphones(specifically for Squad):

ZMbVSml.jpg

I took 2 Roccat Kave 5.1 headsets, took dynamics out of them, got rid of sub-woofers, put 3 30mm dynamics per 1 hear, completely changed headset's pin-out, change positions of dynamics themselves, got rid of built-in amplifier, resoldered and assembled all of that by myself(I can proudly said idea was originally mine too. It isn't like I read some guide on some forum about it). AFAIK that's the best solution for Squad out there ATM.

5. Also, this(guess who won that):

The point is not 'haha, look at me', but if you think about it, the point is the fact that I play with the best of the best players in this game and against the best of the best players in this game. And not just that, together I and my teammates are capable of winning against other best of the best players in this game.

1 hour ago, Chew_Kok_Long said:

Im quite certain youre neither professional nor good in any given game at any point in time, Mr Dunning-Krueger.

Well, you're wrong on everything you just said, again, as usual. What you described there, I am the exact opposite of it(judging by how I appertain to how I play, as it was explained above):

Spoiler

A516B9CA8B7D8EC208E18370118BB202233C9F65

0D6685D3B90E7015CB62C20EED1B94524F002ECB

XJV413b.png

03258A144691E3D4DBBFBB98BB61E7DD76BA9BA4

If we were arguing about a racing game, I would show you my loop times. Considering we're talking about FPS, there is another good metric of how good player is - KPM and KD together(not even just that, but how many tickets lost one cost to the enemy team). In case of a medic it is also a number of revives per minute played.

Me, for example, I am a pretty bad race driver. But I don't go to racing forums telling professional drivers what's right, wrong, bad or good. I go to racing forums to ask questions and ask them for suggestions. And they have a very good metric to determine scrubs from professionals - loop times, so you can't just come to a racing forums and be cocky about yourself when your loop times suck.

What we see on FPS forums is that every kid think he's a god of this game, think he knows everything about any little thing in this game. When in fact these kids know exactly jack(guess to what category you apply to). Not only just that, but most of the kids think that even considering they play the game with kdr 0.6 on FFA public servers killing 3-4 enemy players per match, they're still 'very good' players, because kdr don't matter, right? wacko.gif

TL;DR version:

j'st git gud, no joke, with all due respect.

Edited by Skul

That doesnt mean anything dude. Fancy headset skills and you actually put a shitton of time into this game, nevertheless it does not make you a good player. Youre really trying to call yourself a professional squad player, while theres not even a professional scene at all. In fact, youre not playing any game with a proper pro league at all. Its like a senior calling himself a professional boccia player.

Its ridiculous.

Im not trying to offend you, its just that calling yourself a "pro" doesnt really fit so you shouldnt be such a wisenheimer. I mean who are you even to tell anyone anything without having any sort of reputation? Doesnt make sense.

I hope youre not mad now. Its all good, might even have a look at your weird controls thingy.

Mad respect

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

How far you can hear footsteps is the same for everybody, even if you go full profesijonal Squad player Sergey. Most you can do is figure out what frequency gunfire is at and what frequency footsteps are then adjust those with EQ. Besides that nothing you do will make stuff louder or audible from a further distance because Squad doesn't use any special tech that would favour a certain sound card or headphone configuration. just don't use 7.1 because it's no supported.

Edited by banOkay

Just wanted to add that I have trouble hearing footsteps in this game too. I mostly play fps games and get called wall hack quite frequently because how well I can track people by just listening. I rely heavily on my ears when focusing somewhere while no one is watching my back. Its also very hard to tell the direction of sounds in this game.

I get you can tweak EQ settings, but I've never had to do that before.