tyler2

Steps of the enemy cannot be heard

i also find footsteps really inconsistent throughout the game. sometimes you can easily hear them even in noisy environments and the other times you don't hear a guy coming up to you in a quite environment when you are specifically listening for footsteps, so annoying when you get executed out of nowhere by some ninja ghost. I also don't like how you always hear your own footsteps clearly but you will walk up on some guy who has obviously not heard you even though you are walking near him, you would think he should hear them too.

Lol, back in old versions  you had to concentrate sooo hard to hear your own footsteps, let alone others.

It's been better, but not enough imo.

I believe They still want gunshots to be  as loud as possible, so  footsteps, reloads, and other that sorta  sounds have had their volume reduced for that effect. not fun.

Also, surprisingly EQ can extremely help in this case. LIke mentioned,  a little shaping of the frequencies and you can have footsteps levelized with gunshots even.

Many, Many streamers  have  their soundcards automatically normalize frequencies, but they even are not aware of it, so I'm not surprised if they come here and claim that  they can hear footsteps normally.

And for the record, using EQ for games is lame.

When I make music I apply EQ on my guitar tracks and  drum sets, shaping it the way I like people to hear it. if someone else uses eq to destroy that when listening.....me dislike.

11 minutes ago, Hadi said:

Also, surprisingly EQ can extremely help in this case. LIke mentioned,  a little shaping of the frequencies and you can have footsteps levelized with gunshots even.

Many, Many streamers  have  their soundcards automatically normalize frequencies, but they even are not aware of it, so I'm not surprised if they come here and claim that  they can hear footsteps normally.

And for the record, using EQ for games is lame.

When I make music I apply EQ on my guitar tracks and  drum sets, shaping it the way I like people to hear it. if someone else uses eq to destroy that when listening.....me dislike.

Yeah, that's the problem with realistic sound levels - some people will use EQ in order to hear better and gain an advantage over the majority that plays with normal EQ. Balance the sounds by default and such problems go away.

gameplay wise i'd like the rock paper scissors approach to enemy detection via sound.

Stationary player should have advantage of making no sound at all.

Moving player should have control over ALL sounds generated up to a point see equipment noise below.

Moving player should have the ability to move 100% silently if they follow certain rules ie approaching crouched with gun ADS and not changing anything except creeping gradually closer.

Equipment noise. To add detail such as equipment noise this should be attached to movements such as changing stance, leaning, changing speed and also fast input eg whipping gun from one direction to anther. This audio should not always play, it should be random with more chance of occurring when more movements are made or the player has low stamina.

eg crouching with ADS GOOD GUY creeps into a building where they know an enemy is in a corner somewhere, the main area is clear so they keep moving to check corners (no sound is made), they lean left to check one corner (no sound is made), they lean right to check the other corner (a small jingle is made which all players in the room hear and can locate). BAD GUY whips his gun around but is hidden behind cover (makes a small noise which all in room can hear). GOOD GUY quickly stands and drops ADS to move faster so they can check behind furniture in the room (he makes another small noise as he stands AND starts to make footstep sounds), at the same time BAD GUY stands up (silently as he has been stationary for a long time) and everybody dies because GOOD GUY sprays with his eyes closed.

Levels should exactly match 1st and 3rd party sounds within a fixed small 3D radius so the person who makes the sound knows what the enemy might hear.

Below are some suggested audio levels created by any movement, simplified for discussion to assume the same audio is used for all noises where it would not. Audio ramps out to nothing in a realistic way. 

To avoid EQ advantage from clever people the various sounds caused by movement could be primarily within frequencies which match other sounds. A gun shooting might mask the sound of footsteps on a concrete floor but not on gravel.

1st person and 3rd person within 2m ramp alters level 3rd person 20m chance of occurring low chance of occurring high
running 100.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 20.00%    
jogging = regular movement 60.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 5.00%    
walking 20.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00%    
walking with ADS active 0.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00%    
crouched 0.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00%    
prone 10.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00%    
lean/unlean 5.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00% 30.00% 60.00%
stand/crouch 5.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00% 30.00% 60.00%
prone/unprone 8.00% >> > >  >   >    >        >                   > 0.00% 30.00% 60.00%
Edited by suds
wow ive escaped the DIV! leak!

3 hours ago, banOkay said:

Yeah, that's the problem with realistic sound levels - some people will use EQ in order to hear better and gain an advantage over the majority that plays with normal EQ. Balance the sounds by default and such problems go away.

I really hope that They change their stance on this. Project Reality had an amazing volume normalization and even though the sound quality was lower than squad, (?)  It sounded  much more better.

But what do you know, there are military advisers  on squad's team and maybe gunshots is all you hear on the battlefield and they want to keep it that way.

@suds  I think that is a pretty good idea. your data confused me a little though  i think i should reread it again. but the idea behind it is  brilliant.