WorstNoobEVER

I want to buy a pistol or a revolver

and join a shooting club this next september.

What would you recommend me ? I like the G17 but it's a bit expensive (600-700€).

Posted (edited)

If your shooting range have some rents some pistols/rifles I suggest you to try before.

For example, I don't like the glock pistols in general, but I still like an "old" pistol like Beretta 98SF or an H&K USP (both 9 mm and .45).

Edited by eagon89

Sig226 if you have the cash. Look for old police guns.

CZ75 is cheaper and still great.

CZ82 is even cheaper.

Main cost of gun isn't the weapon but the ammo, so definitely don't get anything thats not a 9mm, especially if you plan to shoot a lot.

If you just want to join a shooting club and have fun, classic guns are also an option. Lahti pistols are great if you can get one, although Danish ones are prone to metal fatigue. Old revolvers are really cheap here in the US (200-300), not sure about EU.

I have been a CZ fan for years. They can't be beaten for the price. CZ75,PO7 and PO9 are all great handguns.

I absolutely love my CZ75. Don't know what your options are in Europe.

Posted (edited)

I thought Europe didn't like freedom

Also get a hipower, it was my first handgun and I still love it

Edited by Sorta

6 hours ago, Sorta said:

You dont show or have freedom with how many guns you own.

Posted (edited)

9mm Luger/Para I like Walther PPQ a lot, or HK USP but its a pretty large pistol so you gotta have big hands.

.22lr is nice for a starter and a Ruger SR22 is pretty neat. Walther P22q is older but similar - would be cheap too.

Would recommend you join club first and shoot a variety of pistols, everyone prefers a different body so see if you can find something you like.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

I have an M&P 40 and love the hell out of it. As someone said above go to a gun store and test feel some pistols and see what you like, and if you have a range that rents give a few a go before trying out a purchase. I'd also say check out reviews. There are loads on YouTube from some great credible sources that'll help in making a choice. Good luck with whatever purchase you roll with bud. 

Thank you for all the answers and sorry for this late message cause i wasn't around these days.

I love the shape of the Walther PPQ but it's still very expensive for me (600€), CZ75 is in the same order of prices. I was also considering having a p226 but it's even more expensive ! I think i'm gonna listen to the multiple advises here and rent a gun to the shooting range before actually buying one.

On 04/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, Sorta said:

You know, civilized comes from civilian that means "person that doesn't belong to the army", and army comes from latin armus which means "who is armed". So basically the most civilized people are the less armed (because they gave their violence power to the army). Do uncivilized people look more free than civilized ones ?

I'm glad to live in a country that tries to be free from guns althrough i have also much to criticise about it.

Nice recommendation anyway, this is cheap and looks good.

why was my "lol" deleted :(

19 minutes ago, Sorta said:

why was my "lol" deleted :(

unnecessary post with no real context. not contributing to the topic. huge room for interpretation led to confusion on the part of OP.

Are you a new shooter? If so I would recommend buying a nice semi auto or revolver chambered in 22lr, very cheap to shoot and practice with, I shoot thousands of rounds a month through my various 22lr pistols. If you tried to do this with even 9mm you would drain your funds in no time flat and you would end up with a gun that just sits in the safe. If you want to become a good pistol shooter you really need to shoot a lot. Get yourself a nice 22 and just wear that thing out, you get that good solid foundation built you will be able to pick up any pistol and shoot well.

The semi autos can be had much cheaper then nice da revolvers, SA revolver can be had for closer to what a semi auto would cost, most semi autos by design are more accurate being there is only 1 chamber matched up to a barrel vs having multiple chambers in the revolver all could have slightly different specs, overall you would never notice the difference during regular target shooting as all these guns are extremely accurate, We are talking the only way to tell the difference is shooting from a rest with optics installed.I do not recommend buying a revolver sight unseen as there is some things you need to check out first, there is a lot more machining in revolvers and a lot of things that need to all work/fit together correctly, a nice semi auto is a safer buy if you will be ordering the gun. Here are some good 22lr pistols I recommend

- Semi Auto's
Ruger mk  iv  22/45 
Ruger SR22
Browning Buckmark
Smith and Wesson m&p 22
Smith and Wesson Victory
Beretta nano

- DA Revolvers
Smith and Wesson 617
Smith and Wesson 63
Ruger gp100
Ruger sp101

- SA Revolvers
Ruger single Six
Ruger single 10
Ruger Bearcat

Edited by Lion

Let me preface by saving, I have no idea what ranges are like over there, but the local ones offer rentals and classes. You can try out a variety of makes and models to really get a feel for what works for you. That said, I don't know that I can add anything more than Lion offered -- nice post! .22 is definitely a good way to go, but don't forget air rifles can be a fun starting option too. Some of the ones these days are craaaaazy.