Sign in to follow this  
Fandango831

UE4 PLE Technology

Was wondering Artstation as I love to do throughout the week to see what amazing creations are being brought to life by artists and designers alike and stumbled upon some amazing work being done by Gökhan Karadayı. He's currently working on a Procedural Ecosystem that is not only extremely visual impressive but also looks like it could be some amazing technology for map makers and developers down the road. Link to his latest update: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3kwW2

gokhan-karadayi-final-36-copy.jpg?149607

gokhan-karadayi-final-33-copy.jpg?149607

gokhan-karadayi-final-38-copy.jpg?149607

maps on a small like 9v9 or 18 v 18 map. Be cool to see this for like scrims matches and stuff

23 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

This is impressive. Is it achievable for Squad?

From what he's posted he's using a 16km square map to produce his procedural environments. But I have no clue how efficient it is. Also remember all this does from what I gauge is just produce a procedural ecosystem ala trees, grass, rocks on a map space. I'm not sure if the roads, rails, etc. are part of the system. If they are then that's really cool, but I suspect they are not. It's merely an easier means to take a flat map and then make nature from it. Everything after that I'm pretty sure still requires loads of work in terms of asset introduction and layouts. As for it being achievable for SQUAD I'd say yes. I see it as a useful tool devs could use to produce maps of great variety quickly and then use the rest of the time laying out assets and refining what the PLE churns out. Also his Realtime Lighting & GI is phenomenal. If anything I feel SQUAD needs more love in the lighting and post-processing department. Also the textures that are being used by this guy are of much higher quality than what currently is in use in SQUAD which makes sense since he's predominantly an environmental artist that is dedicating all of his time to this system where SQUAD is trying to tackle a million things with one hundred people. If anything I'm sure SQUAD will start to look like this sometime after V10 when more of the major systems are ironed out and they can move over to more cosmetic things like improving texture quality, lighting, and additional effects. I mean a simplified example would be DAYS OF WAR. From a fairly crappy looking alpha to what currently is out you can see a massive change visually and that is a game that is scaled significantly smaller than SQUAD. So I super optimistic of everything to come!

...what op first light should look like

Little update. Gökhan has posted up a vid showcasing his PLE. Hopefully we'll see more of this tech in action soon. 

Posted (edited)

So fools road updated to amazing holy shit!!! That would be awesome to get that kind of quality in game in the future. Sploosh  like that would take squad to the next level and I would never leave my room. Become a fat bastard and die in my computer chair trying to ied a ifv

Edited by grimshadow

Would love to see this make it into Squad! Even if that meant lowering the player count on said maps!