RipGroove

Console command for capping FPS?

28 posts in this topic

Is there a console command for capping FPS? If so, will enabling it cause input lag?

Reason being I still get some screen tearing even with G-Sync, and I'm guessing it's when my in game FPS goes over 100 as my monitors refresh rate is 100Hz. I'd like to try capping my FPS in game to 100 and see if that helps (I know enabling V-Sync will technically do exactly that but I don't want V-Sync on at all). 

I think it's

t.maxFPS=100

Thanks, reckon it'll induce any input lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think why it should. I used to put it in one of the .ini to limit the menus to 144fps and didn't notice any lag.

I can't think why it should. I used to put it in one of the .ini to limit the menus to 144fps and didn't notice any lag.

I'll give it a go.

ah good to know, I have used MSI Afterburner for years across many games now.

I think it's

t.maxFPS=100

That command doesn't work.

Maybe a value needs adding to a .ini file?

\steamapps\common\Squad\Squad\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

in

[systemSettings]

add

t.maxFPS=???

That's what I use to do before the devs put in the 240fps cap.

I thought that might be the case. I am away from my games machine so I can't really help much more than that if it doesn't work as a console command.

I thought that might be the case. I am away from my games machine so I can't really help much more than that if it doesn't work as a console command.

No worries dude, I'll figure it out!

9 hours ago, RipGroove said:

No worries dude, I'll figure it out!

You can do it using NvidiaProfileInspector:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=410808

eyKtGoi.png

Or MSi Afterburner:

nJftX1D.png

I would suggest to not do it, it will introduce additional completely unnecessary input lag.

You can do it using NvidiaProfileInspector:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=410808

eyKtGoi.png

Or MSi Afterburner:

nJftX1D.png

I would suggest to not do it, it will introduce additional completely unnecessary input lag.

That's what I was afraid of, I'm getting getting some screen tearing though that is quite annoying also.

Just a thought as I can't test it myself currently but why not create a DefaultEngine.ini  in your \steamapps\common\Squad\Squad\Config\ directory as above) an put in....

[systemSettings]

t.maxFPS=100

Should be no harm in trying. The devs may of removed the need for DefaultEngine.ini but it doesn't mean the game won't look for the file when it executes.

Worth a try actually yeah, good idea. I've actually also just found an FPS limiter in PrecisionX so I'll give that a quick go and see if I get any input lag. 

The ini files are now locked in pak files to stop editing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The ini files are now locked in pak files to stop editing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That'll be it then. After a little more studying I see I'm getting tearing above and below 100Hz so capping the FPS won't help anyway.

Not entirely sure how I'm getting tearing with G-Sync.

I don't have G-Sync on my monitor so I don't know how/where you would check if it's enable. Nvidia cp?

You might want to check your monitors refresh hz to make sure it's set correctly. My 144hz monitor was defaulted at 60hz by Windows 10 when I first plugged it in.

I don't have G-Sync on my monitor so I don't know how/where you would check if it's enable. Nvidia cp?

You might want to check your monitors refresh hz to make sure it's set correctly. My 144hz monitor was defaulted at 60hz by Windows 10 when I first plugged it in.

Thanks yeah I've already set it to 100Hz in Windows and Nvidia CP. It's not a constant tearing, just every so often so it's not too bad.

What u need to do when using G-sync is to cap the framerate abit under your max refresh, so for 100hz cap it around 96-98fps. The problem though is that alot of games dont let u cap the framerate and using an external program like nvidia inspector or MSI afterburner will add almost as much input lag as using V-sync.

Watch this video if u want to learn more.

What u need to do when using G-sync is to cap the framerate abit under your max refresh, so for 100hz cap it around 96-98fps. The problem though is that alot of games dont let u cap the framerate and using an external program like nvidia inspector or MSI afterburner will add almost as much input lag as using V-sync.

Watch this video if u want to learn more.

Thanks yeah that's what I was trying to figure out, I was looking for a way to cap frames without any input lag.

Yeah as far as i know it's not possible in Squad any more, so there really is no good solution for you. I also have a G-sync monitor but mine is at 165hz and i never reach 165fps.

Yeah as far as i know it's not possible in Squad any more, so there really is no good solution for you. I also have a G-sync monitor but mine is at 165hz and i never reach 165fps.

Well with my res and Epic game settings + SMAA and 1.5x SS it's only really a few maps that see regularly over 100fps so it's not a frequent issue. Most of the time I'm 70-100fps. On those maps that give me over 100 maybe I'll bump the Super Sampling up a bit to bring the FPS down.

Yeah but hopefully in Squad future we'll see optimisation that would help boost all our fps and that would cause you issue. Perhaps well should ask the devs for a simple maximum fps option in the settings.