Wonka

wonkabags
Introducing Wonkabags (and other defensive insights)

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

I address the community and specifically Squad Leaders out there who consistently construct FOB's in tactically sound locations for defensive purposes. I bring you a few golden rules that I personally have found to work exceptionally well and offer you the innovation that is.. Wonkabags. 

But before we get into that. I'll just jot down a few key principles that are required to construct a defensive position that has any real lasting potential.

1.  THINK about that the actual placement of any deployable.. Try to use the actual compound walls as much as possible, the less stuff you can have outside of the walls the better. If you put those sandbags right on the door you're trying to block, the enemy can dig it down happily from the outside. Place it just on the inside? That talibaddy has to expose himself directly in front of the door in order to bring it down. It's all about the inches. ^_^
  2. Offer as much concealment yet provide as much situational awareness as possible. This may seem like these counter one another, but the use of ladders and wonkabags* will provide access to compound walls that you've decided to feather your nest in. If your guys can shoot over the walls and continually re position, while giving the medics the cover from the wall to revive anyone unlucky enough to take a 7.62mm round to the head. You'll again, enforce Rule 3 and keep your teams ticket count up which is what it's all about as a defensive force, right?
  3.  Secure the perimeter with wire acting as a stand off. Its no secret the longer you can keep the enemy out, the longer the defense will hold. Time and time again I see SL's fail to employ wire,  it's cheap, big and pretty effective at blocking off obvious access routes. Put this into effect and you'll reap the rewards, as a suggestion do this early in your FOB build. Work from the outside inwards (its clearly harder to get this shit up when there are rounds coming in already!)
  4. Have an exit point. No matter how much you spend on making this FOB, all the emplacements in the world do not equate to a few friendly squads advancing on the attack objectives. You need to have a readily available way of getting in and out of the FOB. Clearly, out can be easier than in, jumping over walls etc. But you as a defensive force should be disciplined enough to have a few guys covering the main entrances. 
  5. Fragmentation is the biggest killer of a defensive force. This is even more pertinent with the introduction of mortars. Creating fragmentation barriers (wonkabags*) in the more exposed areas of your defensive position are a complete must. You need to give medics a place to shelter during an indirect fire (IDF) barrage so they can get to work immediately once the rounds have finished. Wonkabags* will assist in the channeling of fragmentation, use the design to protect doorways and create channels where you can restrict the amount of fragmentation.
  6. Stop using the sandbags with the little rifle slits in. They are exceptionally annoying when it comes to being a medic. Why? Person A is firing from behind said sandbag and gets knocked down. Medic comes over, and is still taking enemy fire because the bottom of the sandbag, your cover, HAS HOLES in it. If that isn't enough for you, the enemy can prone crawl through them and fragmentation will cut you to pieces if you're hiding behind them. They can be used in certain circumstances but generally speaking, avoid using them for regular fortification. 
  7. Lastly, and especially important for the wonkabags* is if it looks good. It will be good. When designing your FOB, ensure your deployables are as straight and true as possible, any minor error in the construction can allow enemy's to exploit easy ways in. For example, poorly stacked sandbags can be used against you or allow the enemy to simple jump over.

*And here is something to aid in this.. the grand unveiling of Wonkabags.

25984FE6C7D5BA4A5B68A5182B599A7E4822C699

They aren't ground breaking, but they are exceptionally adaptable. This design will cost you 150 construction points. It will block off a 2m door and leave you enough room to fire accurately through the top of the door frame. It will allow you to access nearly all compound walls with a 2m long firing platform.

It will stop fragmentation up to 50cal if you're prone behind the bottom bags.

It will stop HE from mortars and grenades turning you into swiss cheese.

You can create channels within the FOB, guiding enemy forces into an exposed location. 

You can fire over the top of them while crouched.

If you get killed while on them, 9/10 your body will fall behind the wall and be nicely accessible to a medic.

You'll note that these don't use the sandbags with holes in, for reasons I mentioned earlier. Because they also screen you from the enemy, they can't see you, but you can see them if using the firing ledge. If you need to re position, they won't see you leave.

Hopefully this helps all you budding sappers out there. 

~Wonka, out

Edited by Wonka

On brazillian server its pretty common these kind of defensive.

But it remains cool and effective. Great advise mate.

1. Fragmentation is the biggest killer of a defensive force. This is even more pertinent with the introduction of mortars. Creating fragmentation barriers (wonkabags*) in the more exposed areas of your defensive position are a complete must. You need to give medics a place to shelter during an indirect fire (IDF) barrage so they can get to work immediately once the rounds have finished. Wonkabags* will assist in the channeling of fragmentation, use the design to protect doorways and create channels where you can restrict the amount of fragmentation.

Can you explain this a bit more? Mortar barrages or granades often explode in random areas. How do you understand the building of wonkabags to minimalize the fragmentation from a mortar?

15 hours ago, FunnyPikey said:

Can you explain this a bit more? Mortar barrages or granades often explode in random areas. How do you understand the building of wonkabags to minimalize the fragmentation from a mortar?

isnt the point he's making that they allow the medics to post-barrage revive with cover from enemy infantry in otherwise open areas rather than prevent deaths from explosions in open areas? then covering doors means explosions landing near the doors stops people inside near the door getting killed.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, FunnyPikey said:

So I figure a picture will paint a thousand words.. (Squad forums are not allowing me to post this picture directly for some reason.)

Map here

Legend:

• Black indicates compound walls.
  • Red indicates doorways.
  • Brown indicates wonkabags.
  • Blue indicates friendly forces.
  • Orange indicates fragmentation.
  • Stars indicate point of explosion.

So Pikey, to answer your question, fragmentation is random and so are mortar strikes, however you can.. largely speaking predict where grenades will land - people want to throw them just inside a door, or over a compound wall before breaching. So if you think about your placement of wonkabags, you can accurately deny likely detonation spots.

What's important to remember while building a sustainable defense, is to think "How would I attack this?" If you can put yourself in the enemy's frame of mind you can make your defensive position a truly impregnable position.

Edited by Wonka

6 hours ago, Wonka said:

So I figure a picture will paint a thousand words.. (Squad forums are not allowing me to post this picture directly for some reason.)

Map here

Legend:

• Black indicates compound walls.
  • Red indicates doorways.
  • Brown indicates wonkabags.
  • Blue indicates friendly forces.
  • Orange indicates fragmentation.
  • Stars indicate point of explosion.

So Pikey, to answer your question, fragmentation is random and so are mortar strikes, however you can.. largely speaking predict where grenades will land - people want to throw them just inside a door, or over a compound wall before breaching. So if you think about your placement of wonkabags, you can accurately deny likely detonation spots.

What's important to remember while building a sustainable defense, is to think "How would I attack this?" If you can put yourself in the enemy's frame of mind you can make your defensive position a truly impregnable position.

You must use the "Insert other media" button then select "Insert image from URL" to display the image in your post.

wonka-halloween-candy-coupon.jpg