Vehicle Health Bars Kill Immersion  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Vehicle Health Bars Kill Immersion

• Affirmative
    • Negative
    • It does but I like winning more

I understand that this is probably here to stay but I don't understand why it has been implemented.

No health bar for your character why should there be for your vehicle. I used to have to ask someone on the ground next to me what the vehicle looked like on the outside or whether it was on fire or not. I feel that it added something to the game. The character can feel pain around his body if something is wrong, there is more realistic reason to have a personal HP bar. Scareing vehicles with frag rounds also does not work anymore. 

They should have just made different vehicle states for the outside to tell how bad of shape it was in. Or reduced movement/operation.

If someone is making a realism mod i hope they take away the vehicle hp bar.

EDIT: I suggest when an rocket does hit a vehicle i feel like there should be more of a solid thud? Often times just by sound alone people inside are unable to tell. Thanks Devs for all the hardwork. (this may have been suggested below too)

Edited by madcat768

2 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

This is a temporary mechanic. The devs will create a realistic damage system where it's all dependant on where you get hit.

ok thank you for informing me. So no hp bar?

Edited by madcat768

Yeah, they said that the hit point system itself is a temporary solution until realistic, locational damage is implemented.

Thing is, after you get hit there's only flames/smoke ect for like 30 seconds and then after that the vehicle looks as though it is perfectly fine- leaving you or a squadmade to not realize how low it is and get killed by 1 shot of an MG.

Maamyyra   
6 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Yeah, they said that the hit point system itself is a temporary solution until realistic, locational damage is implemented.

I think he means that the HP bar needs to go and make the outside damage visually different depending how bad the vehicle is damaged, not the damage system itself.

+ Would it be awesome if the sounds of the vehicle would change after hits.

Edited by Maamyyra

On 2017-5-26 at 7:11 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

This is a temporary mechanic. The devs will create a realistic damage system where it's all dependant on where you get hit.

So far they have been very quiet about Vehicle damage models, i hope they put a system like Warthunder have.

SgtRoss   
21 hours ago, Roque_THE_GAMER said:

So far they have been very quiet about Vehicle damage models, i hope they put a system like Warthunder have.

No, we haven't, we have discussed it several times.

However, thinking it will be like Warthunder is not very realistic for us. That game is designed around those mechanics, we will likely have to do a somewhat simplified version due to our resources.

If we were just doing vehicles, then sure, but we have a lot of stuff on our plates.

On 31/05/2017 at 1:16 PM, SgtRoss said:

No, we haven't, we have discussed it several times.

However, thinking it will be like Warthunder is not very realistic for us. That game is designed around those mechanics, we will likely have to do a somewhat simplified version due to our resources.

If we were just doing vehicles, then sure, but we have a lot of stuff on our plates.

So its gonna be more like ARMA with individual health bars for tracks/wheels, engine, turret and hull?

morse27   

So its gonna be more like ARMA with individual health bars for tracks/wheels, engine, turret and hull?

IMO this is the best and "realistic" solution for such a game.

As it was said, a damage model like WT will likely use a lot of ressources and then will not be relevant.

However there is no need to show those "health component bars" like in Arma. They can exist for the "server side aspect" but players don't really have to see them.

Should those bars exists and we can't see them, it will improve realism :)

3 hours ago, morse27 said:

IMO this is the best and "realistic" solution for such a game.

As it was said, a damage model like WT will likely use a lot of ressources and then will not be relevant.

However there is no need to show those "health component bars" like in Arma. They can exist for the "server side aspect" but players don't really have to see them.

Should those bars exists and we can't see them, it will improve realism :)

We still need to know how much damage we have, that have to be either trough hud or visual.

morse27   

In fact I was suggesting to do it visually. HUD are really useless in a game with such good effects ;)

In ArmA for example there are those bars + visual damage effect. So if ArmA can do it, I guess that Squad devs will be able to do some amazing visual effects ! (I like arma but it is "optimized" with sh*t)

In Squad we can imagine a damage model like this (for a car) :

- loose of a wheel -> we get something like this : https://defense-update.com/images/cougar-blast.jpg

- engine damaged : light white/grey smoke + less power

- engine dead : heavy black smoke + engine shut off + start of a fancy fire (hull start to being damaged by the fire until its destruction)

- hull damaged : a lot of bullets hole and scratch on the hull

- hull destroyed : vehicle = wreck + explosion

Basically you need only those component to have something a bit realistic and cool. Other component like fuel tank, transmission, direction etc are not necessary to have a great experience and looks realistic (but if they are added I would love this !).

For a tank with tracks, you will need something basic like : engine, hull, left track, right track, gun, turret. It can be done visually too for all of those components.

For a chopper : engine, main rotor, tail rotor, hull, instruments (maybe slingload hook if they plan to add slingload and tow) and obviously add some cool sound effects (we should be able to fly only by listening our RPM)  as well as some warming messages like "engine faillure", "hydraulic pression faillure" etc

Damage model will depend on how far they want to go. They can make something like ArmA, which is quite basic (but enough) or they can go further and add or detail more components (they can put 2 engines on a chopper instead of one "common" engine for instance)

Edited by morse27

does or doesn't  ... meh. they're not an "immersion" element in my book.

would not miss them if they were not there. or if they got taken away.

in the olden days of JO, vehicles, i think, only had an indicator (their icon changed colour - no Bar, iirc) which was good if you were deaf and blind because the vehicle well and truely let you know it wasn't a happy little vegemite (buzzing alarm and colour tinting(iirc) - vehicle 'fire alarms'), then flames, told you that exiting would probably be a good idea.