Hi readers and hopefully Devs. I have a suggestion for tanks in the distant future that would really make the realism pop. Here is a video of a t-72 tank hit by an ATGM top of the motor, and shortly after cooks off with amazing effects.(crewmen escaped safely) I would love to see this kind of visual content in the game and i'm sure all of the soon to be tank hunters will also get a peak of satisfaction from placing such an accurate shot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPiuYcZeOU

thanks for reading. 

Edited by tjhookaa

I'd just love to see vehicles not exploding anymore on "mission kills". Sure maybe ammunition cooking off if a vehicle has ammo to burn off in the first place but no more of the vehicle boom effect. I'd rather just see the explosion from the round or rocket impacting if the vehicle even gets killed by an HE weapon, vehicles burning up (HE) or remaining mostly intact minus a riddled hull(AP), tires popping or melting if the vehicle does burn up, and that really be all. Sure it won't be as Hollywood-esque but man would it look and feel better.  

To the OP no one in that T-72 survived. Pretty sure the guy running was in cover behind that tank and is lucky the concussion from that blast didn't kill him. As for the crew they all roasted alive or just died from the RPG penning the reactive armor and setting off the ammunition. Gunner and Commander died on the rocket penning and the driver probably cooked after the autoloader went up, but yes I'd love to see ammo loads going up as long as it is appropriate. Most tank kills are crew kills with usually a fairly intact exterior. 

I believe different area damage for vehicles is planned so having different explosive animations for that kill shot would be really nice.

11 hours ago, CC-Marley said:

No way the driver got out safely.

This was an RPG 29 which uses two detonations the second to kill the crew, but you can tell by the rate of the burn off that the round hit the engine bay. This was most likely a T-72 multi fuel powered tank and had gasoline  sitting so the round lucky hit the engine bay. 

Edited by tjhookaa

10 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

I'd just love to see vehicles not exploding anymore on "mission kills". Sure maybe ammunition cooking off if a vehicle has ammo to burn off in the first place but no more of the vehicle boom effect. I'd rather just see the explosion from the round or rocket impacting if the vehicle even gets killed by an HE weapon, vehicles burning up (HE) or remaining mostly intact minus a riddled hull(AP), tires popping or melting if the vehicle does burn up, and that really be all. Sure it won't be as Hollywood-esque but man would it look and feel better.  

To the OP no one in that T-72 survived. Pretty sure the guy running was in cover behind that tank and is lucky the concussion from that blast didn't kill him. As for the crew they all roasted alive or just died from the RPG penning the reactive armor and setting off the ammunition. Gunner and Commander died on the rocket penning and the driver probably cooked after the autoloader went up, but yes I'd love to see ammo loads going up as long as it is appropriate. Most tank kills are crew kills with usually a fairly intact exterior. 

The rate of the burn off clearly shows this was not because of 125mm round burning off. T-72's came in multi fuel engines. This was most likely a gasoline burn off, and the weapon used RPG-29 detonated its second round in 1 of the 9 fuel reservoirs, (4 inner and 5 outer) 

This kind of catastrophic failure is specific to WW2 era tanks IE the T-72 because modern day reactive armor, so yeah it would be cool to see a tank go boom, but when considering realism adding a common catastrophic failure that is specific to the T-72 tank in a realistic war game wouldn't be out of sight. 

Edited by tjhookaa

10 hours ago, tjhookaa said:

This was an RPG 29 which uses two detonations the second to kill the crew, but you can tell by the rate of the burn off that the round hit the engine bay. This was most likely a T-72 multi fuel powered tank and had gasoline  sitting so the round lucky hit the engine bay. 

I doubt this. T72 seems to be diesel powered like most modern tanks. Gasoline is considered too dangerous for tanks to use for this very reason (and others) and diesel fuel typically isn't very explosive in nature. Actually on the leopard 2 tank which I was on, the fuel tanks are actually on the side of the tank partially in order to provide extra liquid impact protection against incoming rounds. What happened to the tank in the video is most likely some single round cooked off, then the intense fire finally burnt through the rest of the ammo compartment which are usually quite accessible inside the crew compartment. Actually the casings of the rounds used in the leopard 2 are basically made of paper and most of it normally burns up when you fire the gun. This is to save space mainly and be able to fit more ammo inside and minimize weight etc. T72 I believe though, probably have normal casings though still just a matter of time before the entire ammo stack cooks off which happened here. I agree that it seems very unlikely to survive that. Though I don't know. 

17 hours ago, tjhookaa said:

The rate of the burn off clearly shows this was not because of 125mm round burning off. T-72's came in multi fuel engines. This was most likely a gasoline burn off, and the weapon used RPG-29 detonated its second round in 1 of the 9 fuel reservoirs, (4 inner and 5 outer) 

This kind of catastrophic failure is specific to WW2 era tanks IE the T-72 because modern day reactive armor, so yeah it would be cool to see a tank go boom, but when considering realism adding a common catastrophic failure that is specific to the T-72 tank in a realistic war game wouldn't be out of sight. 

Being that I've been inside of an Iraqi T-72  which are pretty similar to their Syrian counterparts, and seen how easy it is to set off the autoloader from simple shaped charge munitions I'd definitely hedge my bets that that RPG-29 penned the reactive armor just above the rounded magazine burning into the autoloader which set off the round set to be racked on the reload cycle. This would explain the billowing out of the barrel and then the catastrophic internal detonation blowing out of the crew hatch ala the "flame out". So yes it was ammunition that went off but it wasn't the whole rack which makes sense as the soviet autoloading spiraling racks are designed to protect in one-third portions in the case of a catastrophic penetration to prevent the turret from blowing off or worse becoming a bomb amongst friendly supporting troops. Instead it would have been the preset rounds charge going off along with a few of the powder charges in the rack. 

Also agreeing with SpecialAgentJohnson no one uses gasoline in tanks anymore. Maybe some third world countries might and even militia forces who can't afford large stores of diesel, or have pre-cold war tanks. But almost every nation uses diesel in their tanks including the Syrians. So that burn was most definitely not related to a gasoline explosion. Also that RPG-29 hit the hull on the reactive armor just above the ammo rack on the autoloader not on the external fuel stores or primary fuel tank. On top of that if the fuel stores did burn out it would have either resulted in an external burn, complete vaporization of the external fuel store on impact, or the internal tank on modernized Iraqi and Syrian T-72s blowing out of the engine compartment, not out of the upper crew hatch thanks to the modified venting systems used on board those tanks to protect crew from fuel fires.