Chuc

May 2017 Monthly Recap

119 posts in this topic

Please, Devs, bring back old lighting of Al Basrah! Map is great but that lighting is very strange and killing immersion...

Looking forward to expansion of that map!

9 hours ago, Hards said:

Probably a bit early, but what will the flight system be like? 

I hope it's not arcade-like.. 

It would be awesome it if was like Arma 3's flight system, - Kind of difficult! 

That would go against what Squad is about tho. Somewhat, balanced, realistic gameplay mixed with easy controlls and accessibility for a fun experience. Making the flight controlls hard to handle would take away from it.

6 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

That would go against what Squad is about tho. Somewhat, balanced, realistic gameplay mixed with easy controlls and accessibility for a fun experience. Making the flight controlls hard to handle would take away from it.

I think hard controls could probably keep asymmetric battles balanced like insurgency game mode, without having to excessively restrict the amount of available vehicles.

46 minutes ago, KaB said:

I think hard controls could probably keep asymmetric battles balanced like insurgency game mode, without having to excessively restrict the amount of available vehicles.

I guess, tho as far as i remember in PR the controlls were basically BF2 controlls, except the flying was made more difficult due to the speed and sensitivity of the helicopters. But with difficult controlls i mean over-the-top button pressing like in Arma or Operation Flashpoint to even take off.

1 hour ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I guess, tho as far as i remember in PR the controlls were basically BF2 controlls, except the flying was made more difficult due to the speed and sensitivity of the helicopters. But with difficult controlls i mean over-the-top button pressing like in Arma or Operation Flashpoint to even take off.

If using m+k for Arma then you literally press one button and pull back on the mouse to take off. Arma flight controls are really simple. The only time it gets remotely complicated is if you're using AFM for the helicopters.

I can see the flight controls for fixed wing aircraft to be similar to the ones of Arma and the rotary wing to be like RS2 using AFM.

Ah i must be misstaken then, since i remember having to press like 20 buttons to even start the engine.

So RFAF would basically be on the same level as USAF with change from RPG-7 to RPG-29, basically no HE effect on the rockets, shooting people with frag rockets would be only available to INS and Militia ? 

23 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Ah i must be misstaken then, since i remember having to press like 20 buttons to even start the engine.

Not in vanilla Arma but there as mods that simulate having to flick loads of switches etc. 

If you get to play RS2 then I think that will be roughly how our rotary wing flight model will be like.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:43 AM, Melbo said:

Not in vanilla Arma but there as mods that simulate having to flick loads of switches etc. 

If you get to play RS2 then I think that will be roughly how our rotary wing flight model will be like.

Yeah, the ARMA flight model in easy mode is a nice balance I think, it's easy to fly, but it still takes practice to get really good. RS2 is a bit simple and doesn't feel right IMO.

21 hours ago, LugNut said:

RS2 is a bit simple and doesn't feel right IMO.

In RS2 do you mean simple or advanced flight model ? IMHO the advanced one is very nice in terms of balance.

Both. I haven't played in a while, but the advanced model was pretty simplistic from what I remember and the flight model always seemed off. Part of that was because of the limitations in map size, so realistic physics wouldn't be fun in such a small space. I was an alpha tester and the dev in charge of coding the helo was trying hard to make it behave properly, but it still felt sort of mushy and cartoony to me. I fly with a joystick and rudder pedals, and in ARMA, I can feel every input directly which allows for incredibly precise flying. 

I'd personally prefer the BF2 flying model (PR). It's the one i simply had the absolute most fun with. It's really easy to controll after you practice a bit in SP. No unneccesary button pressing before you take off. Get in, start the engine, wait untill your helicopter is ready for flying, and go.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

I'd personally prefer the BF2 flying model (PR). It's the one i simply had the absolute most fun with. It's really easy to controll after you practice a bit in SP. No unneccesary button pressing before you take off. Get in, start the engine, wait untill your helicopter is ready for flying, and go.

That's the thing,

some people like flying in games and the take that specific role. 

Some people like ruckin' it around the map with a rifle. 

Making the flight system harder to fly with can bring in the Pilot players into the community, without affecting the grunts. '

I personally prefer bringing troops from Point A to Point B as a transport, 

Edited by Hards

On June 6, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Disco said:

Please, Devs, bring back old lighting of Al Basrah! Map is great but that lighting is very strange and killing immersion...

Looking forward to expansion of that map!

I second this! PLEASE bring back the old lighting of al Basrah, the new lighting is so bright that i have to lower gamma every time the maps loads, and even then it doesn't look right. The previous lighting was perfect! 

On 2017-6-9 at 6:09 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

BF2 PR Flight model was pretty awful from a realism standpoint.  Felt very strange indeed.

RS2 is certainly a more natural direction to take I think, although some additional touches to realism would suit Squad.  I guess it depends how complex the flight model is to configure.

Any of these models can be mastered with practice and be rewarding. :)

Wow, my country city map. :) This is pretty co', thanks. 

Posted (edited)

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎30 at 0:07 PM, banOkay said:

I like most stuff but would like to point few things out.

Prone transitions still seem way too fast, you're telling me we take damage from 1m fall because we could break an ankle IRL due to added gear weight, but you can go from prone to standing up by jumping in <1s.

Hopefully bipod mechanics get updated with the pivot point being further forward. Seems like it gives too much freedom atm and is not how it's supposed to work. I wouldn't like the bipod itself being the pivot point because it'd limit you too much, but somewhere in-between is still much better than what you showed. The bipod itself should obviously be where you deploy the gun, not some air under your gun. Makes it look more like weapon resting atm, which will hopefully make it into V10 as well.

YDDxcWd.png

Bro the bipod is the pivot point, that's how it works IRL, that's how it is in the game obviously.

ALSO I HAVE THIS TO SAY:

Dear Makers of Squad, I was gonna buy but said no, here's what needs to be done:

- The virtual soldier needs to put the binoculars up to his face and actually look through the lens of the binoculars, come on.

- Remove the HUD, it completely ruins the immersion, have the virtual people start with virtual iPads, tablets, google glasses, or phones that they can hold in front of them or wear and press/touch buttons to send information(such as the map) to other players tablets.

- The virtual player needs to physically climb in and out of vehicles, you guys are focused on realism and that should be a priority for developing vehicles.

- Remove the yellow crap that comes up on screen when players are building or placing things, have them see it through their virtual iPads/phones/google glasses cameras and actually place the markers, this will enhance immersion and improve the game.

- Just stray away from anything that wouldn't be possible in the real world, its not about looks, its about virtual objects and materials with mass and light, and controlling a virtual person.

- If you did these things I would purchase the game but so far it needs to take these steps to move my money away from current triple-A game titles.

- Scrap the art and music(if you can) because the game is what counts.

-You say its supposed to dodge the complexity of military simulators, but honestly there are literally no good military simulators to compare to, this is about as realistic as I have seen in a game so far, so you can honestly take it a step further. The more life-like it is, the easier it is to understand anyways, so just make it realistic.

- Consider scrapping factions and teams and the like because I think people want to represent themselves in the game(have their appearance and their choice of friends), scrapping unnecessary elements will help the developers focus on what matters: physics and gameplay. 

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this program develop, keep making it more realistic and Ill almost definitely buy and hope you get the resources you need.

Edited by PrimeEleven

On 6/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, PrimeEleven said:

Bro the bipod is the pivot point, that's how it works IRL, that's how it is in the game obviously.

ALSO I HAVE THIS TO SAY:

Dear Makers of Squad, I was gonna buy but said no, here's what needs to be done:

- The virtual soldier needs to put the binoculars up to his face and actually look through the lens of the binoculars, come on.

- Remove the HUD, it completely ruins the immersion, have the virtual people start with virtual iPads, tablets, google glasses, or phones that they can hold in front of them or wear and press/touch buttons to send information(such as the map) to other players tablets.

- The virtual player needs to physically climb in and out of vehicles, you guys are focused on realism and that should be a priority for developing vehicles.

- Remove the yellow crap that comes up on screen when players are building or placing things, have them see it through their virtual iPads/phones/google glasses cameras and actually place the markers, this will enhance immersion and improve the game.

- Just stray away from anything that wouldn't be possible in the real world, its not about looks, its about virtual objects and materials with mass and light, and controlling a virtual person.

- If you did these things I would purchase the game but so far it needs to take these steps to move my money away from current triple-A game titles.

- Scrap the art and music(if you can) because the game is what counts.

-You say its supposed to dodge the complexity of military simulators, but honestly there are literally no good military simulators to compare to, this is about as realistic as I have seen in a game so far, so you can honestly take it a step further. The more life-like it is, the easier it is to understand anyways, so just make it realistic.

- Consider scrapping factions and teams and the like because I think people want to represent themselves in the game(have their appearance and their choice of friends), scrapping unnecessary elements will help the developers focus on what matters: physics and gameplay. 

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this program develop, keep making it more realistic and Ill almost definitely buy and hope you get the resources you need.

You do realize the game's in early alpha stage and it's being worked on? You don't have to buy the game but just know that the game isn't polished yet.