gamingworld

144Hz/1ms response time

Hello all! I want to buy a new gaming monitor to play online games. And I want 144 Hz refresh rate with 1ms response time monitor. But I can't be able to find a monitor with these specifications in my budget. Can anyone help me?

What's your budget? These are fairly reasonable if you look around... ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms

26 minutes ago, banOkay said:

He asks for a budget 144Hz monitor and you give him this :D

He said in his budget and not on a budget and never specified what he had to spend. How are we to know?

1 hour ago, banOkay said:

Where do you even buy it and is there a proper review?

You can buy it there on hardforum or on blurbusters forums. People say it works how he claims it.

He ships it with LCD panel M270HHF-L10 . It is used in 144-240 Hz monitors like Asus VG278HR and other high-end gaming monitors, which cost 500-2000$, depending on how greedy manufacturer is.

And a review. You can google M270HHF-L10 panel and read reviews about monitors with that LCD panel. You can even buy a monitor with that panel and then upgrade it with 270 Hz board that guy ships...

Basically, this monitor is an $450 upgraded 270 Hz version of that $700-2000 panels Asus and Acer sell... So you have a choice, buy 144 Hz Asus or Acer monitor for $700 or buy 270 Hz monitor for $450. It's your choice xD

Edited by Skul

11 minutes ago, Skul said:

You can buy it there on hardforum or on blurbusters forums. People say it works how he claims it.

He ships it with LCD panel M270HHF-L10 . It is used in 144-240 Hz monitors like Asus VG278HR and other high-end gaming monitors, which cost 500-2000$, depending on how greedy manufacturer is.

And a review. You can google M270HHF-L10 panel and read reviews about monitors with that LCD panel. You can even buy a monitor with that panel and then upgrade it with 270 Hz board that guy ships...

Basically, this monitor is an $450 upgraded 270 Hz version of that $700-2000 panels Asus and Acer sell... So you have a choice, buy 144 Hz Asus or Acer monitor for $700 or buy 270 Hz monitor for $450. It's your choice xD

That's pretty great, but you need to buy a monitor with this panel + get his $450 thingy. I wish he'd offer this for more panels.

It's all together $450.

Board itself is only $150 or something. You can connect it to a lot of 120 Hz panels and get 270 Hz monitor out of your current 120 Hz monitor for ~$200(board, shipping, wires).

Edited by Skul

19 hours ago, banOkay said:

He asks for a budget 144Hz monitor and you give him this :D

You are perfectly right but it's difficult for me to find a 144 Hz (1080p I supposed) with 1 ms latency at a reasonable price.

Moreover I guess that a person who want a 144hz have decent PC to run at 144 fps to synchronize on games.

Except for Squad... a good monitor for Squad will be a CRT with locked 60Hz. :D

Gaming monitors with 144 Hz, TVs with 200 Hz for 2000$ and human eye sees up to 100 Hz.

tumblr_n015spRYI01sx4nq1o1_400.gif

11 minutes ago, Ops3t said:

Gaming monitors with 144 Hz, TVs with 200 Hz for 2000$ and human eye sees up to 100 Hz.

tumblr_n015spRYI01sx4nq1o1_400.gif

That is just not true at all, every person has kinda a different tolerance on how much difference between 30 to 60 to 100 to 144 to 200Hz one can see. You also get used to higher refresh rates pretty fast and can then feel the difference going back to something like 60 HZ.

Tolerance might be between frames ingame. I know ppl that can't see any difference between 60 and 125 fps and somehow I feel that dfference. But with refresh rate in my opinion is scam for monies :P

Keep in mind the aprox stable FPS (by nearly any PC on earth) for Squad, full servers across all maps, low settings etc is around 90 in 1080p. This may improve or not dependant on development moving forward and the engine Squad is built upon.

The current sweet spot for very high end rigs is 1440p, at around 75fps average.

2 hours ago, Ops3t said:

Tolerance might be between frames ingame. I know ppl that can't see any difference between 60 and 125 fps and somehow I feel that dfference. But with refresh rate in my opinion is scam for monies :P

Vision is not that simple, but it has been proven with tests that people are capable of perceiving an image flashed for only 1/250th of a second. I can see a difference between 144 and 120 fps easily. Scientists are pretty confident that people could detect motion differences up to and possibly beyond 500 fps.

Each person is different and each eye is different. Importantly, eyes can be trained and even more importantly, there is a vast difference between detecting motion and creating an image in the brain from light or detecting variations in light intensity etc.

But those are frames not Hz's :) even if somebody is curious just check Matrix movie in 25 fps and in 60 fps.

9 minutes ago, Ops3t said:

But those are frames not Hz's :) even if somebody is curious just check Matrix movie in 25 fps and in 60 fps.

They are fundamentally the same, the Hz of a monitor means how many times it updates it's image per second.  Most movies are recorded at 24fps, so it is unlikely you will get much benefit from displaying the movie at 60fps. To meet the requirements of 60fps you would be interpolating frames or speeding up the movie (x2.5).

Yes its true but I mean that there are movies which are recorded in 60 fps and they seems to be more smoother/natural.

PS. Let us not make an off-top here ;), the best way is just go to shop/friend and check some monitors. Now you can even buy monitor and give it back after 1-2 days saying: "naah its not the one".

9 hours ago, Ops3t said:

Yes its true but I mean that there are movies which are recorded in 60 fps and they seems to be more smoother/natural.

PS. Let us not make an off-top here ;), the best way is just go to shop/friend and check some monitors. Now you can even buy monitor and give it back after 1-2 days saying: "naah its not the one".

Of course - and they are even smoother and more natural above 60fps. You said that the human eye cannot see above 100hz, it most certainly can. Way above it. I can overclock my monitor to 180hz and it is noticeably smoother again compared to 144hz.

Nice, as for me there is only small difference between 75 Hz and 144 Hz and its not worth of the monies if you're a casual gamer. Probobly in games such as CS it might count but here in Squad there is no such person with fixed 144 fps (correct me if I'm wrong) and I rather prefer 34' monitor with lower refresh rate than 24'/27' with higher one. But those are personal preferences and there are different for each person.

8 hours ago, Ops3t said:

Nice, as for me there is only small difference between 75 Hz and 144 Hz and its not worth of the monies if you're a casual gamer. Probobly in games such as CS it might count but here in Squad there is no such person with fixed 144 fps (correct me if I'm wrong) and I rather prefer 34' monitor with lower refresh rate than 24'/27' with higher one. But those are personal preferences and there are different for each person.

correct re the 144Hz in Squad.

I recon at 1080p, low/off settings my rig (which is pretty much as good as it gets for Squad) could hold 100fps across all maps and full servers. 

1 hour ago, SHO-SHIN said:

correct re the 144Hz in Squad.

I recon at 1080p, low/off settings my rig (which is pretty much as good as it gets for Squad) could hold 100fps across all maps and full servers. 

It also matters how many FPS you've got. You will still have very big advantage on 270 Hz monitor and top LCD display(0.7 ms gtg lat, for example) against the other guy on 60 Hz monitor with average LCD display(5 ms gtg lat) even if both of you will play the same game at 30 FPS.

Hz =/= FPS:

Same with higher limit. There is none. You will still have an advantage if you will able to play at 1000 FPS against the other guy who will only play at capped 400 FPS, considering you two will have exactly the same setups. And, of course, you will have even bigger advantage if your hardware is capable of processing much more data(higher number of instructions per cycle(1 mHz) and instructions per second) and work on higher clocks: as a result you will have less overall input lag(motion to photon latency) and smoother image, which will definitely help one to play better.

All of it doesn't matter if you play casually but a lot of players don't understand the fact that they will get advantages from better IPC, clocks, less input lag, more frames per second and bigger refresh rates on the monitor.

Even these timings on the monitor matter(while working at the exact same vertical refresh rate, like 77 Hz, for example):

AiFhi0T.png

8ITZjfu.png

Everything affects results: latency of LCD display itself, latency of the monitor's board, refresh rates, clocks and timings of the monitor, as well as refresh rates, clocks and timings of everything else - mouse, keyboard, USBs, VRAM, RAM, GPU, CPU, etc. And there is no lower or higher limits. Some day we will have less than 1 ms overall latency but that day will not come soon. So far players have up to 50 ms overall latency in video games and you can drastically reduce it under 10 ms marker with explained above methods. And yes, difference between 50 ms and 8 ms is a tremendous difference(it doesn't looks like so, when you just see 42 ms difference):

http://www.chioka.in/what-is-motion-to-photon-latency/

Edited by Skul