RipGroove

Crackling sound, only with Squad?

I get a crackle in both the left and right audio channels for a brief second when a loud bass sound happens in Squad, like a mortar landing or sometimes a vehicle engine.

I thought this was my headphones so I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro's and a Schiit Magni 2 AMP, again I still had the crackling so then I bought a Fiio D03K DAC and took all my audio from the optical port on the motherboard instead of the 3.5mm jack but I still have the crackle.

I've not noticed this at all in any other game or sound source on my PC.

So either Squad (but no other sound source or game) is hitting bass levels that both my old headphone and my new headphones can't handle or my motherboards audio can't handle it for some reason or it's an issue with the game, so does anybody else get this with Squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trick: record the crackling sound and replay the recording. If it's still crackling on the recording and can be heard by others then it's the game, otherwise it's on your end. I've experienced no crackling myself (played with Q701, D5000 and TH-X00).

Trick: record the crackling sound and replay the recording. If it's still crackling on the recording and can be heard by others then it's the game, otherwise it's on your end. I've experienced no crackling myself (played with Q701, D5000 and TH-X00).

Good idea, thanks.

Digital crackling means the signal is too loud internally and clips. You should try to set Windows Master volume to about 50%. You can find it at the Speaker icon.

Leftclick on it once to get the main/speaker output slider and put it on 50.

Also, then rightclick the Speaker, choose Playback device.

Doubleclick the Speakers to open Properties:

Check -if available- the Tone tab. Put Bass & Treble boost at 0dB.

Check Levels tab. Make sure evverything is at 50.

Check other tabs and make sure no additional fx processing is active.

Finally check Advanced tab and make sure you're not running an audio quality over 24 bit, 48000Hz..

16bit 44100 or 48000 are fine.

Edited by zeep

Digital crackling means the signal is too loud internally and clips. You should try to set Windows Master volume to about 50%. You can find it at the Speaker icon.

Finally check Advanced tab and make sure you're not running an audio quality over 24 bit, 48000Hz..

Alright, I'll let you know the outcome.

3 hours ago, zeep said:

• I have to have my PC volume at 60 as 50 is just too quiet even with the Schiit Magni AMP set to 'Hi' gain and at full volume (I did have PC volume set to 80 and the AMP at about 75% volume).
  • No 'Tone' tab on my audio properties.
  • Playback Device\Properties\Enhancements: I already have "Disable all sound effects" ticked.
  • Audio Quality was already set to 16 bit 4800 Hz

Maybe lowering the PC volume a little and upping the external AMP has helped, I'll let you know as soon as I've had a game of Squad. Bit strange though as I can blast all sorts of music through this setup at any volume with zero crackling, I only get it with Squad as far as I can see.

when using headphones i have the same problem with loud sounds, especially explosions.

i guess a workaround would be to set the overall game volume to a lower level, changing the windows levels makes no sense.

in general i think the crackling is no digital clipping but actually analog "clipping/distorting" of the small headphone speakers due to

massive amounts of low end.

when i play during daytime using my studio monitors there is no issue with crackling as the studio

speakers are much bigger and can actually handle low frequencies.

a permanent solution would be to reduce the low end to a point where it has less energy but does not sound "thin"

which is absolutely possible.

Just out of curiousity, how's your PC performance in the game? 
I've had issues with my sound way in the past making crackling sounds in other games, either all the time or when something demanding happens in the game

So yeah, it might be a performance issue of some sort, might be worth looking into?

Just out of curiousity, how's your PC performance in the game? 

I've had issues with my sound way in the past making crackling sounds in other games, either all the time or when something demanding happens in the game

So yeah, it might be a performance issue of some sort, might be worth looking into?

Right now my performance is great, 80-130FPS at 3440x1440 all EPIC 1.5 SS and SMAAA.

when using headphones i have the same problem with loud sounds, especially explosions.

i guess a workaround would be to set the overall game volume to a lower level, changing the windows levels makes no sense.

in general i think the crackling is no digital clipping but actually analog "clipping/distorting" of the small headphone speakers due to

when i play during daytime using my studio monitors there is no issue with crackling as the studio

a permanent solution would be to reduce the low end to a point where it has less energy but does not sound "thin"

At last! Someone else with the same issue! It only happens with the absolute deepest bassiest sounds in Squad, no other game or application.

I'll try lowering the in game volume and upping the Windows volume to see if that helps.

Have you managed to stop the headphone crackle with any combination of game/windows volumes?

Can you record crackling and post it here? If you post a  ~5 minute video with crackling, it will be much easier to address a problem.

Can you record crackling and post it here? If you post a  ~5 minute video with crackling, it will be much easier to address a problem.

Yeah, as soon as I experience it again I'll record some footage.

Here's a very short clip which shows a distortion. The fact that the crackle is audible in a recording means it's a game issue not a hardware issue right? I think I've ruled out my actual hardware as I've just listened to this YouTube clip on my phone with a pair of Sennheiser ear buds and I can still hear the distortion.

Excuse the weirdness at the start of the clip, ShadowPlay does that sometimes, anyway, I'm nowhere near the sound source in game so it's not VERY loud, my in game volume is at 75 and my Windows volume is at 45, you may not hear it at first but have a few listens and you'll hear distortion at the very start of the explosion at about 7.5secs in. I get this pretty much anytime an IED or mortar goes off, and sometimes with grenades or RPG's or even some vehicle engine sounds.

As I said, I'm pretty sure I don't get this distortion with any other game or application, none of the tests on the following page induce any crackling or distortion either:

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Edited by RipGroove

I'm still getting this distortion/clipping at very low game and Windows volumes, even with everything turned down so I can barely hear it, the distortion is still there.

@RipGroove

Do you always have that constant hiss (background sound) going on even when playing normally?

Edited by Psyrus

@RipGroove

Do you always have that constant hiss (background sound) going on even when playing normally?

No, it's crystal clear all the time.

Just now, RipGroove said:

No, it's crystal clear all the time.

Do you notice that it's hissing in that video though? 

The reason I ask is because one thing that I figured might be happening is that you have "listen to microphone" enabled somewhere, and therefore when an explosion drops the microphone picks it up from the headphones (DT990 is an open headphone) and plays that back but it'd be distorted somewhat. 

It's unlikely but the closest thing that I can think of to "reasonable" given that it shows up in recordings as well. 

Ah yeah I see what you mean, I'm not sure where all that background noise came from in the video, I think it's just ambient noise in the map that for some reason has been amplified in the video, it's definitely not what I hear in game. I will double check my mic settings but I'm 90% sure i have it setup correctly.

Also, I don't hear my own voice in the headphones so my mic can't be playing back through the speakers.

9 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Also, I don't hear my own voice in the headphones so my mic can't be playing back through the speakers.

Yeah that's probably right, but the two issues seem potentially linked, since the scene should have been completely quiet at that point except for the background FOB radio sounds (recorded audio). 

Without being there in person, it's extremely hard to troubleshoot sound related issues. 

Yeah that's probably right, but the two issues seem potentially linked, since the scene should have been completely quiet at that point except for the background FOB radio sounds (recorded audio). 

Without being there in person, it's extremely hard to troubleshoot sound related issues. 

Haha yeah I know, I appreciate all suggestions! I'll double check all mic related settings.

9 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Do you notice that it's hissing in that video though? 

The reason I ask is because one thing that I figured might be happening is that you have "listen to microphone" enabled somewhere, and therefore when an explosion drops the microphone picks it up from the headphones (DT990 is an open headphone) and plays that back but it'd be distorted somewhat. 

It's unlikely but the closest thing that I can think of to "reasonable" given that it shows up in recordings as well. 

Probably just his recording software picking up his mic aswell, can be adjusted in the settings

Probably just his recording software picking up his mic aswell, can be adjusted in the settings

I was using ShadowPlay so yeah maybe you're right.