Clown_Tactical

Problems with Logistics / Please allow us to de-spawn at Main Bases

I've noticed there is a problem in the game and it was also a problem in the original Project Reality. The difference was in Project Reality. You could commit suicide because it was a feature from the battlefield 2 game. Sometimes you want to commit suicide to return to the spawn screen. This is because it would save you time from travelling back to a location. For example, if you are a logistics' driver and your squad no longer needs the logi anymore. You drive the logi back to base and leave it there, now you want to rejoin your squad. The only options for you are to wait for a another vehicle to return back to the main base and hitch a ride, or the faster method, killing yourself and just respawning on your squad's rally point.

Sometimes people don't want to return the logi back to base where it is safe, they will just abandon the logi after they construct a FOB. This is because driving back to the base and finding a means back to their squad is time consuming as I pointed out. And often, the logi ends up being destroyed or worst, captured by the enemy team. If the enemy is smart, they will realize that they can just camp your logi and kill anyone who tries to retrieve it, this will prevent your team from being able to build anymore FOBs. And often times, this forces the team who has no logi to lose the game.

The de-spawning feature should only exist in main bases, if it was allowed anywhere else, it could be abused. The de-spawn feature could be a object that the player goes towards and presses the action key, much like pressing the action key at a ammo crate. The object could be a model of a large battle map or like the commander tent in Project Reality. When a player presses the action key, he disappears and returns back to the spawning screen. He can then spawn immediately. The reason why this should only be allowed at main bases is because if this feature was for example at FOBs. Players would de-spawn themselves and respawn in a gameplay abuse when under attack. Main bases should not be having engagements with the enemy. Players should be allowed to de-spawn themselves, there are already lots of experienced players committing suicide after returning a logi or APC as they did in Project Reality.

This should be included because sometimes your squad changes their mind and decides they don't need the vehicle anymore they took from the main base. Players who are returning a vehicle asset back to the main base should not be punished with the long delay of getting back to the action or killing themselves.

Edited by Clown_Tactical

I was just about to post almost exactly this thread. 

This would assist team players immensely, because as it is now, if you're doing logistics runs or perhaps your squad no longer wishes to use a truck/APC asset, they either send someone back to main base who has to hope another squad will be there to give them a ride or they ditch the vehicle in the field. Neither are good for the game, but allowing people to "redeploy" from the main base to team spawns (without costing a ticket) would be immensely helpful. 

The biggest thing is that I would suggest the @Clown_Tactical reconsider the suggestion of immediate spawns, as the main base already has a 2 second spawn timer (versus fobs @ ~30 seconds and rallies @ ~40 seconds). This opens it up to abuse by spawning at main base then redeploying immediately to a fob/rally. Rather than complicating it, just treat it as a normal death but don't take the ticket away. 

29 minutes ago, 40mmrain said:

you can just open the console and type suicide

That is the current workaround. We're trying to suggest an improvement on that, for practicality reasons.

1. It costs the team a ticket unnecessarily.
  2. It gives the person a much longer spawn time than they should have for doing the right thing and returning the vehicle back to main base for the team to use.

I wouldn't see any problems with players being able to de-spawn at any spawn location, be it the Main Base, a FOB, or a Rally Point, provided doing so consumed resources. We seem to be moving towards a logistical system such as the one I've suggested here, which would involve players spawning on FOBs consuming resources from that FOB, and would require continual resupply to maintain a FOB's spawning ability.

For the purposes of this thread, I could see de-spawning on a FOB costing the same resources as spawning in on that FOB. That way, FOB de-spawning isn't something that is abusable, but a function of the team's logistical capabilities. This would mean that you'd expend resources to de-spawn and then resources to respawn on another FOB or RP, which I think would be an acceptable penalty for this ability(Paired with the respawn timer).

This would also function to make transportation more important, as the resource savings in re-deploying with vehicles instead of de-spawns would be considerable.

I wouldn't count on most people caring about resources enough to pass up the convenience of teleporting.

1 minute ago, Sorta said:

I wouldn't count on most people caring about resources enough to pass up the convenience of teleporting.

And those people would obviously then be punished for their wasteful use of resources that would leave them with no FOBs to spawn on because they've wasted all their resources de-spawning and respawning. You either care, or you lose.

I wouldn't count on most people putting that much thought into it. So many players can barely even wait 30 seconds before smashing that give up button.

2 minutes ago, Sorta said:

I wouldn't count on most people putting that much thought into it. So many players can barely even wait 30 seconds before smashing that give up button.

And? They're going to lose. 

@Tartantyco I like your ideas, they're well laid out, but you tend to pull them into topics that are only tenuously related (I assume for exposure?), however in this case it changes the discussion significantly if we start talking about consuming resources on spawns and whatnot... it's a fundamental change to the mechanics of the game. 

This thread is about suggesting a small quality of life improvement for asset crew when returning vehicles to base. If the devs want to expand upon that, so be it. 

But I'm pretty sure at least the majority of active forum devs have read through all your gameplay suggestions at least once, and linking to them a lot probably won't affect the chances of them getting in game (although I would like to see a couple of them implemented, in an ideal world :) )

Edited by Psyrus

De-spawning at main base (and only in main base) sounds like a good idea to me, but I would still have the player wait at least a minute (or a normal respawn timer) before being able to spawn again elsewhere - instant de-spawn and teleportation across the map just doesn't seem right.

I think even if this got implemented as a feature it would just become unnecessary once we get to aerial transport.

11 hours ago, Psyrus said:

@Tartantyco I like your ideas, they're well laid out, but you tend to pull them into topics that are only tenuously related (I assume for exposure?), however in this case it changes the discussion significantly if we start talking about consuming resources on spawns and whatnot... it's a fundamental change to the mechanics of the game. 

This thread is about suggesting a small quality of life improvement for asset crew when returning vehicles to base. If the devs want to expand upon that, so be it. 

But I'm pretty sure at least the majority of active forum devs have read through all your gameplay suggestions at least once, and linking to them a lot probably won't affect the chances of them getting in game (although I would like to see a couple of them implemented, in an ideal world :) )

It's not tenuously related, it is directly related. And I bring up my own opinions just as everyone else does, as they do in this thread. However, since they're generally larger in scope than most suggestions, and as only certain parts are relevant, I provide a link to the entire suggestion so people can read it in context.

No. You rarely benefit from getting teamkilled bcuz you need to spawn since one person isnt important anyway. But it if does, i think its fair that it will cost your team at least 1 ticket and a death more for you on the ending screen. You win some, you lose some.

More motorbikes at each main base, or what about...  a flag pole like in Arma... you click the map and boom airdropped in by parachute.. them apples got ya thinking eh? Airbourne ... oh god yes. 

Suicides already consume resources now (tickets) and it's commonly used/abused, either by individuals or by entire squads who find themselves across the map from where they want to go. People are usually aware that it costs tickets and that affects the outcome of the game, but they don't feel it directly and neither would they if it was resource points instead. The only way top curtail it would be for there to be a direct penalty, double or triple the respawn time for example. If that penalty was waived at main only, I wouldn't care really. 

2 hours ago, LugNut said:

but they don't feel it directly and neither would they if it was resource points instead.

Yes, they would. FOBs would suddenly end up not being spawnable.

3 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

Yes, they would. FOBs would suddenly end up not being spawnable.

If you consider how many people are continually in queue to spawn at a FOB that you don't know about, and you see what looks like a decent cushion of points still left, you'd click respawn, spawn in and run off oblivious that you were the last one. If you ended up being the last one, so be it, how upset are people when they use up anything in game? If you changed the system so the points would be removed from the total immediately, instead of on respawn, you'd happily grab that last one before someone else did. 

All you have to do is look at how often people give up in game instead of waiting for a medic,  leave static weapons dry, vehicles scattered across the map, or use up construction points simply because they are there, to see that if there is a widespread disregard to a vague teamwide penalty that doesn't affect them directly.