Smee

Motar squad watch your size

It commendable that people want to provide motar support but would SLs remember  their members proportion of their squad to the side. I mention this for today for one squad had 9 members providing cover. In a 30 v 30  that's nearly a 3rd of the side. Pulling that amount from the battle front really pushes up the difficulty of captures. I think its better when in a defendable flag position, providing dual purpose.

Thoughts 

that + some mortar SL´s sitting behind the mortars and gives a **** about what the rest of the squad is doing.

so it ends that 3 guys spamming mortars and the rest runs without any idea or plan through the map while searching for enemies and wasting tickets.

This will go away when we can lock squads at certian sizes.  Problem is, many servers make you join a squad.  And a mortar squad needs only 4 max.  So 5 slots just sit waiting to be filled.

1 hour ago, Smee said:

It commendable that people want to provide motar support but would SLs remember  their members proportion of their squad to the side. I mention this for today for one squad had 9 members providing cover. In a 30 v 30  that's nearly a 3rd of the side. Pulling that amount from the battle front really pushes up the difficulty of captures. I think its better when in a defendable flag position, providing dual purpose.

Thoughts 

What're ya saying here mate..."Size doesn't matter".xD

But totally agree with you & it shouldn't be rocket science to SL's.

I tried creating some mortar squads, but I have just too many people. The extras can't do anything unless we're under attack, and I can't actively help them engage the enemy because I'm trying to direct mortar fire. Difficult unless the perfect circumstances are at hand.

3 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

I tried creating some mortar squads, but I have just too many people. The extras can't do anything unless we're under attack, and I can't actively help them engage the enemy because I'm trying to direct mortar fire. Difficult unless the perfect circumstances are at hand.

1. Name your squad based on how many members you want(4-man Mortars/Logistics).

2. KICK PEOPLE PAST THAT NUMBER.

Don't know why people have such a hard time kicking people from their squads.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tartantyco said:

It's fuc.king annoying.

Edited by Peerun

2 hours ago, Tartantyco said:

1. Name your squad based on how many members you want(4-man Mortars/Logistics).

2. KICK PEOPLE PAST THAT NUMBER.

Is the only solution, not a bad one, but not a good one either.

Program a little widget to auto kick after a certain number, set able by the SL, case solved... :)

Hopefully, we can hook you guys up "soon," with a "first step" solution anyways.

27 minutes ago, SgtRoss said:

"soon,"

3 Weeks 

I ran squads named "MORTAR 3 PEOPLE MAX" this weekend and people were really respectful of it. With the mortar app we were quick to range target and get rounds flying.

The biggest issue was getting com's with the other squadleaders cause i guess they were under a lot of stress as squadleaders tend to do. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Hopefully, we can hook you guys up "soon," with a "first step" solution anyways.

Great, Im "looking forward" to it!

Edited by plissken

What I tend to do is just have a 2 or 3 man fireteam do mortars. As long as they know how to run the mortars, I can be running with the rest of the squad moving onto objectives and giving them targets and guiding their fire. And if I'm sitting outside a point while mortar fire rains down on it, I have enough time to talk to other SLs about potential new mortar targets. Overall it seems to work out better than a dedicated mortar squad so long as you have guys that know how to operate the mortars.

I think you are forgetting how to SL.

SL places markers, spots mortar hits with binos, and doesn't need to be next to mortar team.  The 2 people on the mortars shoot.  1 person runs logi for ammo if needed.  the rest of the squad can work near SL or if SL can't handle that much have them set a Fire Team Leader and give the remaining squad members a task.  Having a 3-4 man locked squad for mortars is lazy. 

6 hours ago, Bash said:

I think you are forgetting how to SL.

SL places markers, spots mortar hits with binos, and doesn't need to be next to mortar team.  The 2 people on the mortars shoot.  1 person runs logi for ammo if needed.  the rest of the squad can work near SL or if SL can't handle that much have them set a Fire Team Leader and give the remaining squad members a task.  Having a 3-4 man locked squad for mortars is lazy. 

No, that's what you call a shit squad, led by a shit SL. Here are some of the reasons for that.

First off, you have the issue of communication. Ideally, you want each squad to perform a single function so that you as a squad leader who needs a specific function(Mortars, Logistics, Transport) can directly communicate with the squad that provides that function. On the flip side, you as a provider of such a function don't want to get a lot of incoming communication that means you lose information or cannot communicate effectively. If your squad is Infantry/Mortars/Logistics, you're going to have a lot of incoming requests, or you're not going to be doing any of those functions effectively. So, as much as possible any individual squad needs to perform a single function.

Secondly, when you have multi-function squads, those end up becoming subservient to the objectives of that squad instead of being a team asset. If you're running infantry with some mortars on the side, you're going to be prioritizing mortar targets that benefit you as a squad, you'll frequently ignore other squads' requests if they are inconvenient to you accomplishing your objectives, and they'll often end up being inactive when you're occupied doing your infantry duty.

Thirdly, multi-function squads lead to information obfuscation, effort doubling, and low-quality squads. Teams need to know their capabilities, and the way to express those capabilities is through the naming of specialized squads. If you want to know if your team has mortars, you open the squad screen and look for a "Mortars" squad. If the mortars are buried in a 9-man squad called "Bob's Shitshow", you won't have that easily accessible information. Furthermore, players joining your squad expecting to play as infantry suddenly get asked to do mortars. And because your squad isn't named for its function, you end up with another squad doing mortars, as well. Now your team is wasting manpower doubling their effort, fighting over logistical support, further harming their team.

So you name your squad "Infantry/Mortars". But now people joining are asking themselves if they're going to be mortars or infantry, and if you're not able to fill the Mortars part of your squad because everyone joining wants to play as mortars, you're not falsely advertising that you're providing mortar support to your team, leading to nobody else doing mortars, but SLs requesting mortar support from you, which you can't provide. You finally get people in your squad willing to do mortars, but that means you now have to drop your infantry duty for 5-10 minutes to go back, get a logistics truck, and set up a mortar position. Meanwhile, your infantry section is just in a state of limbo or lonewolfing around. Or you're in such a vital position(Defending a flag under attack) that you just can't find the time to go set up a mortar position. And you have all these people doing mortars poorly because they joined your squad to play as infantry and have no experience with mortars, so everybody's doing a shit job at everything.

2 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

No, that's what you call a shit squad, led by a shit SL. Here are some of the reasons for that.

First off, you have the issue of communication.

3 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

No, that's what you call a shit squad, led by a shit SL.

Posted (edited)

When you have a mortar squad on your team:

mxnAx7y1.png

On 18/05/2017 at 8:18 PM, Smee said:

It commendable that people want to provide motar

Nah, they just want to shoot' some mortarz! 6b9a912e5607ba2efcf737249e90cba8.gif

In the current state, when your team has mortar squad, this mortar squad is actually counter-productive. And not even just counter-productive but it is wasting human resources(players firing mortars, driving a supply truck), vehicle resources(supply truck), construction points on the FOB they placed it(which could be used to place repair stations for vehicles), ammo points(which could be used by vehicles to resupply), mortars also give up position of your FOB.

A lot of harm done by mortars. It is actually would be better if people who want to use mortars would just leave from a server(and uninstall Squad afterwards, altogether with Steam and Windows) and team would fight 25vs30. A team would at least have their supply truck, construction points to put repair stations for vehicles and vehicles would have ammo points to resupply close to the flags instead of going to a main base to resupply. Not to mention that if this mortar squad leaves a server and 5 good infantries join instead, who will actually PTFO the game!

Even if only 3 people are using mortars and they don't use FOBs of a team but some of their own, they are still wasting one supply truck. And supply trucks in this game is the most important vehicle on a map. You can play without BTRs and Stykers but you can't really play without supply trucks.

What good mortars do to your team and what bad things mortars do to an enemy team? Exactly jack. Mortar kids usually have 1-2 kills per round. Sometimes even 7. But that's just random irrelevant kills. 1 grenadier on 1 ammo crate(without any resupplies) can do 10 times more than 2 mortarted squads combined together using 2 supply trucks.

I love when I get mortared by an enemy team in infantry and in vehicles. When I get mortared by enemy team when I'm in infantry, I use smokes from mortars to change my positions, because enemies who use mortars think I am going to be sitting inside buildings. Instead I just charge through the smoke and kill them, nobody expects that. Also, when I am in infantry, these mortars make a lot of noise, which allows me to change my positions without enemy hearing me changing my positions. I capitalize on this when we play competitive matches in legues, but I use RPGs of my teammates instead. And my teammates to that on purpose too. It is very useful when you play against opponent with brains. The point is, there are a lot of harm from mortars and it doesn't do anything useful to your team, only to enemy team.

When I'm in a vehicle, it is obvious that you're getting mortared(they always miss first time) and it is also means you're spotted on a map, which is a very good info when you're in a vehicle. One of the worst things that can happen to you when you're in a vehicle is when you're spotted on a map and you don't know it. I play vehicles all the time and I never got destroyed by mortars.

Conclusion: don't use mortars at all.

Edited by Skul

Cleaned thread a little. Keep it clean lads, keep forums rules in mind when posting.

Rules

Spoiler

§1 Show Respect

This community can only work if we all respect each other. To that end, it is imperative that any time you engage with another user, either directly or indirectly, you show them respect with the content of your post. In particular refrain from flaming, insulting, abusing, taunting, racism, and other similar types of actions towards other forum users.

§2 Attitude & Behavior

Poor attitude and behavior are the most common ways a negative / unsafe environment is created and perpetuated. As such that kind of behavior will not be allowed on these forums. Please be mindful of this rule when posting personal positions and opinions regarding topics which could be considered contentious in nature. As a rule of thumb, keep your posts civil in nature, and refrain from making posts that are likely to incite arguments and create a negative environment. As a privately hosted web forum we reserve the right to maintain an environment that we are happy the majority of our players are comfortable with.

14 hours ago, Skul said:

When you have a mortar squad on your team:

mxnAx7y1.png

Nah, they just want to shoot' some mortarz! 6b9a912e5607ba2efcf737249e90cba8.gif

In the current state, when your team has mortar squad, this mortar squad is actually counter-productive. And not even just counter-productive but it is wasting human resources(players firing mortars, driving a supply truck), vehicle resources(supply truck), construction points on the FOB they placed it(which could be used to place repair stations for vehicles), ammo points(which could be used by vehicles to resupply), mortars also give up position of your FOB.

A lot of harm done by mortars. It is actually would be better if people who want to use mortars would just leave from a server(and uninstall Squad afterwards, altogether with Steam and Windows) and team would fight 25vs30. A team would at least have their supply truck, construction points to put repair stations for vehicles and vehicles would have ammo points to resupply close to the flags instead of going to a main base to resupply. Not to mention that if this mortar squad leaves a server and 5 good infantries join instead, who will actually PTFO the game!

Even if only 3 people are using mortars and they don't use FOBs of a team but some of their own, they are still wasting one supply truck. And supply trucks in this game is the most important vehicle on a map. You can play without BTRs and Stykers but you can't really play without supply trucks.

What good mortars do to your team and what bad things mortars do to an enemy team? Exactly jack. Mortar kids usually have 1-2 kills per round. Sometimes even 7. But that's just random irrelevant kills. 1 grenadier on 1 ammo crate(without any resupplies) can do 10 times more than 2 mortarted squads combined together using 2 supply trucks.

I love when I get mortared by an enemy team in infantry and in vehicles. When I get mortared by enemy team when I'm in infantry, I use smokes from mortars to change my positions, because enemies who use mortars think I am going to be sitting inside buildings. Instead I just charge through the smoke and kill them, nobody expects that. Also, when I am in infantry, these mortars make a lot of noise, which allows me to change my positions without enemy hearing me changing my positions. I capitalize on this when we play competitive matches in legues, but I use RPGs of my teammates instead. And my teammates to that on purpose too. It is very useful when you play against opponent with brains. The point is, there are a lot of harm from mortars and it doesn't do anything useful to your team, only to enemy team.

When I'm in a vehicle, it is obvious that you're getting mortared(they always miss first time) and it is also means you're spotted on a map, which is a very good info when you're in a vehicle. One of the worst things that can happen to you when you're in a vehicle is when you're spotted on a map and you don't know it. I play vehicles all the time and I never got destroyed by mortars.

Conclusion: don't use mortars at all.

Spoiler

opinionated.gif

The solution is to have one to two mortar-skilled squad limited by 4 people for each squad, and other squads can't use mortars.

7 hours ago, _randombullet said:

opinionated.gif

That's a nice one, man! laugh1.gif

It is pretty much as when you talk to an astronomer, he explains you simple and basic stuff about space, and then you drop:"That's just, like... Your opinion, man". And yes, I am the astronomer in this case.

I find mortars useful if used correctly. Laying down constant fire on the enemies main approach towards a cap can force them to trickle in slowly or go around it. Even bombarding an enemy HAB location or Super FOB can have good rewards if you have a good mortar team. But yeh, Pub matches can be hit and miss with it since a lot of people want to shoot the boom boom tube, so you end up with 6 other guys who don't need to be there, there. It comes down to the Squad lead to kick people to keep the Squad at 3, so it doesn't drain man power away from the game, or if he's an SL that doesn't mind kicking peoples asses and and telling them to move off and go to a defense Obj, then that's fine too.

Competitive matches have shown how effective mortars can be, the recent ISKT has shown great use of mortars.

1 hour ago, Skul said:

And yes, I am the astronomer in this case.

In this case you're more like an astrologist.

Tartantyco nailed it right on the head.

It's absolutely insane to think that every squad on a team needs to consist of exactly 9 players.