GarryTHEdaddy

Names above players heads

Iv been watching some YouTube videos and noticed that your team mates have there names above there heads is this something that is going to stay in the game ?

I'm all for it, I have been playing PR for the last week and that's one thing that really annoys me You have to aim on one team mates for a good 5secs plus for there name to come up and sometimes it don't work at all and maybe it just because I'm a noob but it makes it hard for me to know who's who so when someone says follow me I'm

Like I ain't got a clue witch player you are,

I know it ain't realistic but in real life not everyone looks the same and I'm pretty sure you can tell your squad mates apart in real life maybe not from a distance witch brings me to my second question

Can you see the name tag above a team mates head from a distance?

Another problem I'm having on PR from being new to it is sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between team mate and enemy because the camos are so alike and it's near impossible for me from a distance to know who's who,

I'm not sure what the devs are going to do about the names -- but I posted a suggestion a while back that can help find squad mates within closer proximities of out to, perhaps, 25m, or some other distance set by the devs.

Check my signature for the link!

yeah, it's something i struggled a bit with on the Ranger weekend. I would like to see the names above team mates all the time anywhere in the map, but that's just me. I used to accidentally team kill in Joint Ops sometimes when long range sniping, at +700m distance it didn't matter that your team mate had a green name above his head because if he was prone in green grass it kinda blended in. That one got me a lot until i started using my main map to roughly locate team mates. Ive team killed in ArmA too sometimes for the same reason. :(

yeah, it's something i struggled a bit with on the Ranger weekend. I would like to see the names above team mates all the time anywhere in the map, but that's just me. I used to accidentally team kill in Joint Ops sometimes when long range sniping, at +700m distance it didn't matter that your team mate had a green name above his head because if he was prone in green grass it kinda blended in. That one got me a lot until i started using my main map to roughly locate team mates. Ive team killed in ArmA too sometimes for the same reason. :(

its called using your map and PID (Positive Identification), rulie! gotta get that down mate

Identify your targets gentlemen, don't just shoot because something moves.

If you can't identify it yourself, call it out to someone who has a better view or binoculars.

Iv teamed killed a guy right in front of me because I was unsure because the camo was so alike but only because 5mins before I was standing next to a guy who I thought was a team mate for about 30 seconds then he figured out we wasn't on the same team before I did lol like I said I'm new to PR,

From what I've seen in the squad vids so far the names are always above there heads when you are next to them just hope they keep this in just so I know who to follow and what not,

As for team killing a guy because I thought he was a enemy that should be no problem in squad at the start because it's not very hard to tell if some is a soldier or a Taliban lol

Should change the title of this post to "confessions of FPS gamer"

...line up gents!... (And ladies.. Do we have any of those?)

Bah, Ive teamkilled just because the guy wouldnt buy me a beer.

Note to self. Buy Ray a beer.

LoL..."MURay", Beer Rage!. :lol:

I personally don't like name tags displayed on my screen,it all looks messy,what I do in JO is switch name tags off and just have friendlies with a marker above their heads.

I'd would definitely like this option in Squad Imho.

LoL..."MURay", Beer Rage!. :lol:

I personally don't like name tags displayed on my screen,it all looks messy,what I do in JO is switch name tags off and just have friendlies with a marker above their heads.

I'd would definitely like this option in Squad Imho.

Yeah markers would be just as good,

Just Aslong as the squad leader and fire team leaders have different marks above there heads, come to think of it don't the Medic have a cross above he's head or am I getting confused ?

Yeah markers would be just as good,

Just Aslong as the squad leader and fire team leaders have different marks above there heads, come to think of it don't the Medic have a cross above he's head or am I getting confused ?

Actually good question,when your hit/shot injured, I think a cross appears above your head so medics can see you need medic attention!?...could be wrong

Actually good question,when your hit/shot injured, I think a cross appears above your head so medics can see you need medic attention!?...could be wrong

Yeah that makes more sense I was most probably watching a guy that was a medic so the cross I saw was to show him that player needed a med if so I really like that feature

Identify your targets gentlemen, don't just shoot because something moves.

If you can't identify it yourself, call it out to someone who has a better view or binoculars.

I think this is the answer ^ , imo , if you start marking this or that with a " glowing mark " for the sake of argument , it becomes an arcade game ....

Iv been watching some YouTube videos and noticed that your team mates have there names above there heads is this something that is going to stay in the game ?

I'm all for it, I have been playing PR for the last week and that's one thing that really annoys me You have to aim on one team mates for a good 5secs plus for there name to come up and sometimes it don't work at all and maybe it just because I'm a noob but it makes it hard for me to know who's who so when someone says follow me I'm

Like I ain't got a clue witch player you are,

I know it ain't realistic but in real life not everyone looks the same and I'm pretty sure you can tell your squad mates apart in real life maybe not from a distance witch brings me to my second question

Can you see the name tag above a team mates head from a distance?

Another problem I'm having on PR from being new to it is sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between team mate and enemy because the camos are so alike and it's near impossible for me from a distance to know who's who,

In PR that is a bug, the engine is only made for 64 players and every player above the 64th wont have a name "plate" its hardcoded into the engine and cant be fixed. (at least that is the last information i got about that.)

I think this is the answer ^ , imo , if you start marking this or that with a " glowing mark " for the sake of argument , it becomes an arcade game ....

I think name should show when within a few metres of your position for communications purpose but then outside of that ID your target. The challenge is situational awareness, and the lines of communication;

Squad leader:

"..be aware, friendlies bearing 027 degrees, 300mtrs, grey house, left side of house.."

Without situational awareness and binos... It becomes very difficult :/

In PR that is a bug, the engine is only made for 64 players and every player above the 64th wont have a name "plate" its hardcoded into the engine and cant be fixed. (at least that is the last information i got about that.)

Oh ok that makes sense why it works ok sometime, thanks for the heads up

I think name should show when within a few metres of your position for communications purpose but then outside of that ID your target. 

I agree. The realism side is... when you're close you can make out your buddy's face. When you're distanced, they just look like any other soldier. Why not just have distance play into it?

That being said... Garry, I don't know about the future player models, but right now you can DEFINITELY tell that the enemy isn't your team mates. The race, the uniform, the guns..

Yeah lets have name and markers above their heads, hell why not make all enemy bright red and friendly bright blue and turn off friendly fire too so if it move just use all your mag onit and if it lives its friendly etc etc.  Seriously this is what makes this different form other fps, You will actually have to think in this game not just point and shoot. If you cant tell its enemy DONT shoot.

Having name plates above players heads at close range is going to obscure vision of group operations. UNLESS! there was a button,like say Shift-M that would highlight your teammates around you, That way you dont have Vision loss.

Yeah lets have name and markers above their heads, hell why not make all enemy bright red and friendly bright blue and turn off friendly fire too so if it move just use all your mag onit and if it lives its friendly etc etc.  Seriously this is what makes this different form other fps, You will actually have to think in this game not just point and shoot. If you cant tell its enemy DONT shoot.

While this is true, nameplates at least for your own squad do make sense. In reality you know your squad mates just by their faces/voice, that is not possible with random people in a squad. I would be all for nameplates in your squad only to be honest.

EDT: Only on short ranges of course!

Shame you can't hold a pre-defined button the keyboard and then point the mouse at a player, name highlights whilst holding button, only you can see it. Let go and name disappears. Only works in close proximity and with friendlies.

That way no cluster of the screen and no frustrating people who like minimal HUD...

Edit: obviously no idea how to code that lol...

Having name plates above players heads at close range is going to obscure vision of group operations. UNLESS! there was a button,like say Shift-M that would highlight your teammates around you, That way you dont have Vision loss.

Did you watch any videos? The nameplates are so small and out of the way that the elitist people won't hardly notice them.