BeerHunter

Haven't played much but kinda disapointed so far....

Not with the game itself.."Squad" has so much potential! It's the leadership.

I used to play Project Reality with a group of older gamers (I myself am retired) and remember how the SL would spend lots of time on the radio with other squads , discussing the next objective and how to take it , calling in support etc. and the squads tended to stick together and move/attack/defend as one cohesive unit.

The few times I've played Squad so far I seem to find myself running around aimlessly  trying to follow/find the squad or squad leader using the map to see where everyone is and where we could possibly be going.

It seems to me that so far , the SL's I've encounters seem to have a few "friends" or favorite players they direct and the rest of us are left to try and "follow the leader".

It might be my fault for not communicating enough and asking for directions . Guess I'll have to read up/study the SL role and create my own squads I can manage my way eh?? :D

Yes or play on an established community server and get to know some regulars, or join a clan.

Join a clan don't play with pubs 

I play the same server every time and it seems to help. You get to know some of the better players and develop relationships which translates into a really fine tuned killing machine. Pay attention and remember names of good players and squad leaders and stick to that. You should see your play pick up quickly.

Personally, I play as FOB building SL most times, which means I'm too busy trying to place/fortify/organize supply for FOBs to actively "lead my men on the battlefield", acting more like a support element than anything.

That is the reality of Squad gameplay and battlefield command in general - one can't be everywhere at once.

Even "battlefield commanding" SLs will only tell you "Rush B" or "Suka blyat someone solo the BTR, rest of you follow me". Honestly, in many situations there isn't much to say except tactical info like "they're in building west of [current_objective], I placed marker", or "get in capzone, we're losing the objective".

The only things you need to do as a squad member are:
1. Get close to SL when he needs to place a rally
2. Don't use last spawn on the rally if SL can't place another one yet
3. Get close to SL if he needs to place a FOB, build stuff/run logi if asked
4. Play your role
5. Stay reasonably close to squad(if needed)

Also, yes, squad leading is actually pretty easy, not sure why so few people do it. If you're unhappy with SLs on server, just make a squad of your own.
Make a squad last if you're unsure, so you get few members. You can even name it something like "DO NOT JOIN", that way you'll get some experience with SL comms and whatnot (last time I named a squad like that cause I was mortar spotting, I still had 5 members by midgame tho :D ).

Play in Rip Servers

Always some Rip members on

Posted (edited)

Thanks for feed back..gonna inwardly digest. B|

Edited by BeerHunter

There's somewhat of a drought of good squad leaders. Add to that this game's pacing, which is faster than PR, and the friendly name tags, which allow for people to be more comfortable with distancing themselves from the rest of the squad, since they can easily detect friendlies on the screen, and you get the gist of why your experience is the way it is.

However, don't get discouraged. Some servers are more hectic than others. Keep looking for a good squad leader, keep looking for servers that don't allow asset wasting, or mute squad leaders. You'll eventually find a place.

In your steam you have a find players/ previous games which can help to find remember good team players. You can then see where your favourite SL'S are playing. Strong Clan servers can improve the chance of finding good players, but that's the luck of the draw.Try not to join first squad for that's normally the impatient squad,  check the squad name. Has the SL got kit. It's very much like PR finding a good game. 

The strength of Squad is the ability to have clan-like playing with pub players. The weakness of Squad is expecting clan-like playing with pub players. 

Squad's potential is realized when you have a small but dedicated group of players to enjoy the game with. There is nothing like it then. No other game on the market can compete with that experience. 

PR had/has the advantage of a very small very dedicated community. It is not overly welcoming to new people and new ideas because it is so specialized. Squad is new and trying to welcome the masses. The experience will be different in general, but it can be even better if you realize that you need to play with people who are dedicated. 

9 hours ago, TheNirl said:

There's somewhat of a drought of good squad leaders. Add to that this game's pacing, which is faster than PR, and the friendly name tags, which allow for people to be more comfortable with distancing themselves from the rest of the squad, since they can easily detect friendlies on the screen, and you get the gist of why your experience is the way it is.

However, don't get discouraged. Some servers are more hectic than others. Keep looking for a good squad leader, keep looking for servers that don't allow asset wasting, or mute squad leaders. You'll eventually find a place.

this guy right here pretty well hit the nail on the head in my experiences the fact nametags pop up form halfway across the map means you don't have to be as cohesive in comms... they need to make a server options to limit the name tags popping up as i know its been a huge debate since the start but they really need a way of culling it down.

also in PR they had the built in bf2 commander option which 10 folds team cohesion.. having someone to relay squad status and orders is what its currently missing.

3 hours ago, RaTzo said:

Squad's potential is realized when you have a small but dedicated group of players to enjoy the game with. There is nothing like it then. No other game on the market can compete with that experience. 

Squad's potential can only be expierienced when you're in a clan or a group of people you play with daily. Otherwise, it'll be very rare you'll play a decent game. Cuz you'll always find a thing that'll jeopardize the game. Just find mutual people who care about the game and you'll be fine. 

I've got to agree with OP. Although I don't think it's the leadership itself, but the maps. Compared to PR they are much smaller and crammed.
Currently, the only maps where any teamwork is done or even beneficial are the 4K maps. Unfortunately, even those have sometimes a very linear layout, which doesn't force squads to cooperate.
The most teamwork inducing map/layout, that I've ever played in Squad was the Gorodok, Russia VS Militia, with Lumberyard as a cap point. Just the number of caps alone and the distances between them made people weigh their every move.
Unfortunately, it got removed last patch. Probably because some QA cried after getting their ass beat on it.

All this to say, Squad's "potential" is currently in decline.
New players don't particularly enjoy the game after the initial magic is gone, because the teamwork is indeed lacking. Maps don't force players to coordinate, so why would they. The trend, from OWI, seems to pretty simple, and as follows.
Negative responses from players? Surely, if we put in more action and make it feel more like other shooters, more people will like it.
How do we do that? We remove possibilities on layouts. We minimise the distances, either by making the maps cramped or by introducing vehicles.

Truth is, that V6 was the high point of Squad. Sure, we got nice toys along the way. Some vehicles, mortars, HABs, mines etc, but it's too small a playground for all of them. Currently the amount of firefights and action is vomit inducing. There's no time to sit back and evaluate the situation, without people getting bored. In V6 you could do this while walking to an objective. On that removed Gorodok layer, you could do it while capping one of the numerous flags or even just driving to it, thanks to the nature of the terrain.

Since the trend so far, since V6 has been like that of Windows, but Slow, Fast, Slow, Fast, instead of Good, Bad, I honestly hope V10 will be the more tactical gen.
I might be pushing it here, but I genuinly hope that not before long, the 4km map will become the new 2km map and the 8km will become the new 4km map.
And if such a day comes, that we should get helicopters and fastropes, the landing pad better be 3km offshore.

On 18.5.2017. at 3:23 AM, RaTzo said:

The strength of Squad is the ability to have clan-like playing with pub players. The weakness of Squad is expecting clan-like playing with pub players.

^Exactly!

I don't think there is some sort of decline here... opposite, we progress with every update. I actually started to see dedicated squads for logistics and mortar. That is very cool! Logi trucks are there for quite some time, but lately ppl are starting to get them more seriously. Why? Because there is more to do with FOBs like mortar, spg, HAB and so on. Half of planned assets/feats are not done yet and we only have sort of half gameplay... Think about how air, tanks, other inf roles will influence gameplay. It will be wicked :)

oh boy,i enjoy that game more and more from match to match and patch to patch. 

yeah, there are some little shortcomings, some bugs, some things that could get designed a little bit more different, but overall this game got so incredible fast so much better and is already at a stage which some triple A games never will reach.

if you get deeper into the game mechanics, better in movement and aiming and increasing your knowledge about the equipment and kit-roles and what is possible with it or not, and get a better feeling what the enemy is planning and where you can hit him hard with a minimum of losses to throw a big wrench into his plans, maybe you will get a taste of it.

i played just some rounds  the last hours with some good  and objective orientated guys in my squad and it was pure fun and awesomeness.

and we lost all of them.

On 5/17/2017 at 7:26 AM, BeerHunter said:

Not with the game itself.."Squad" has so much potential! It's the leadership.

I used to play Project Reality with a group of older gamers (I myself am retired) and remember how the SL would spend lots of time on the radio with other squads , discussing the next objective and how to take it , calling in support etc. and the squads tended to stick together and move/attack/defend as one cohesive unit.

The few times I've played Squad so far I seem to find myself running around aimlessly  trying to follow/find the squad or squad leader using the map to see where everyone is and where we could possibly be going.

It seems to me that so far , the SL's I've encounters seem to have a few "friends" or favorite players they direct and the rest of us are left to try and "follow the leader".

It might be my fault for not communicating enough and asking for directions . Guess I'll have to read up/study the SL role and create my own squads I can manage my way eh?? :D

Squad is a work-in-progess game... ...actually more like unfinished template for a potentially great game but unfortunately there isn't an IQ test required for purchase. 

i agree with the OP as well.  I've got close to 1,000 hrs and the difference now & the early days with the level of gameplay ie: co-ordination, tactics, leadership etc... is night and day.  but the user base is also much larger now, and the level of play is a bit lower, i guess you could say 'watered down'.  

don't get me wrong the game is still best in class, but i do share your sentiments; i myself find that many times i join a game the squad leaders are very inexperienced, which is fine, its just that often they have very little interest in trying to play the game the way its intended.  

like many have suggested here; try and find quality servers and stick to them, and when you play w good plyrs / squad leaders add them to your steam friends and look for them in the future, and in no time i think you'll start to enjoy the game the way it was meant to be :D

see ya on the battlefield!